Home

Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?

Darth_Yuthura

Is TOR as satisfying to people as KOTOR III?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Is TOR as satisfying to people as KOTOR III?

• It's an ending and I'm glad that they will continue from TSL.
    • Being 300 years too late killed the story.
    • Couldn't care less. The gameplay is what matters.
    • There's absolutely no way to know until TOR actually comes out.

A Guild Wars clone, just hopefully better this time.
Jumping had better be a built in feature. >:|

Seriously though, I hope it's not a clone of anything, and it sounds like we'll be getting something pretty unique as far as MMOs go.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The irony is that people are calling every MMO after WoW a WoW clone which itself was a clone of every MMO before it.

Quite frankly the insult is getting old. It's especially old considdering that even when there are things outside of what WoW does, it's still called a WoW clone. People call NGE SWG a WoW clone when there are many things that are not in WoW that are in the SWG. Crafting that's diverse and deep(pre-NGE holdover, but it's been updated to be even better in some aspects), the whole space game, Custom appearances(made even better with the addition of the appearance tab), in game voice(unless WoW did it first, which I hadn't heard of).

Every MMO that comes out gets labeled a WoW clone. The developer then has to show how it isn't. Even after they show it isn't just another WoW clone, people still call it a WoW clone until it gets released. After the release, it gets called a WoW clone because it has elements that are in WoW. Big shocker, OMG IT HAS GROUPING WoW clone. OMG It has instances, WoW clone. OMG It has PVP zones, WoW clone. WTF? WoW didn't invent 99% of what it is. It stole ideas from every other MMO out there. You could say that WoW is the clone.

When Blizzard made WoW and was so successful, a bunch of greedy CEOs of game companies said "OINK! I've got to get me a piece of that." Then companies that had no right/purpose making MMOs starting turning their little wheels to pump out pieces of trash to try to "Take down WoW." And frankly, they can't. Most MMOs released now tend to be outshined by WoW. I have GUILDS of friends that have jumped from WoW to AoC, To WAR, BACK to WoW. I had friends that jumped from WoW to Silkroad to WAR to WoW. WoW will just release another expansion, and all its players will come crawling back to update their characters and gear.

This is GLs(Second) attempt to take a shot at that. He couldn't maintain the quality of his first MMO, so hes clearing the board and trying AGAIN. Instead of starting from scratch though, hes taking one of his best games and converting it. And hes calling in the RP dream-team to do it.

The "WoW Clone" comment, from my perspective, is just a company making an MMO for the profit of seeing how well Blizzard did. Not for the sake of making a good game. Which is what WoW is. There wasn't any "WoW" for Blizzard to contend with when they made that MMO, and that's why it was so good.

Wow, this was necessary.

If you don't like it, then don't pay for it. Go ahead and stop posting in the TOR forum, if you really want to stick it to them.

_EW_

Wow, that was necessary.

This is a question thread. See the title?

"Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?"

My answer is No. You've seen most of my reasons.

If you don't like NO, then stop posting in ANY forum. Because its a divided world, and a lot of it has access to internet forums.

This is GLs(Second) attempt to take a shot at that. He couldn't maintain the quality of his first MMO, so hes clearing the board and trying AGAIN. Instead of starting from scratch though, hes taking one of his best games and converting it. And hes calling in the RP dream-team to do it.

George Lucas doesn't actually make the game - I think he has relatively little say in it.

The "WoW Clone" comment, from my perspective, is just a company making an MMO for the profit of seeing how well Blizzard did. Not for the sake of making a good game. Which is what WoW is. There wasn't any "WoW" for Blizzard to contend with when they made that MMO, and that's why it was so good.[/Quote]

So you're basically saying that no-one should ever rock the boat because all mighty Blizzard have WoW?

Um... SWG was out BEFORE WoW.

The "WoW Clone" comment, from my perspective, is just a company making an MMO for the profit of seeing how well Blizzard did. Not for the sake of making a good game. Which is what WoW is. There wasn't any "WoW" for Blizzard to contend with when they made that MMO, and that's why it was so good.

And Bioware are attempting to make a good game. Yet somehow they are automatically called a WoW Clone. Technically WoW was supposed to be competition to Everquest... It succeeded, and dramatically so.

If it can tell me what happend to Revan,Bastila,Exile then it's no matter being an MMO.

We want KOTOR3 because of the unfinished ending.So,sastify that need and everything will be alrigtht.

I want KOTOR3 too,much more than TOR-MMO.

Great words. Problem with 300 years later... not really likely to find out what happened as everyone had faded into the mists of SW history. I could say more for the plot behind TSL, but the cliffhanger was excellent in my mind. It was waiting for the conclusion that made it worthwhile. Now that they just decided to throw it all away and leave it at "SOMEHOW everything just miraculously turned for the better and now 300 years later..."

SP five years after TSL... Right on! MMO five years after TSL... Good.

SP game 300 years later... Never! MMO 300 years later... Utter ineptitude!

Great words. Problem with 300 years later... not really likely to find out what happened as everyone had faded into the mists of SW history. I could say more for the plot behind TSL, but the cliffhanger was excellent in my mind. It was waiting for the conclusion that made it worthwhile. Now that they just decided to throw it all away and leave it at "SOMEHOW everything just miraculously turned for the better and now 300 years later..."

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2583167&postcount=295

Bawwwwww.

How can you complain without playing it? I mean, if you don't have an inherent hatred for MMOs, then you should probably use a wait-and-see approach.

_EW_

Bawwwwww.

How can you complain without playing it? I mean, if you don't have an inherent hatred for MMOs, then you should probably use a wait-and-see approach.

_EW_

Problem with wait and see is that once something has been carved in stone, there's no going back. If everyone knew TSL was going to bomb because of Obsidian, would everyone just cheer them on? I think people would have expressed discontent and Lucasarts might have decided that they didn't want TSL to trash the KOTOR franchise. I'm just complaining, but don't really expect anything to come of this.

Of course, all this has been said time and time again that I should just start posting web links to all my previous posts. If they're just going to leave TSL in the trash, then they should do so. Instead, they toss virtually everything of KOTOR out of existence. If TSL had an ending w/out a cliffhanger, then I would understand why they would move to a different era. If TSL had taken place a hundred years after Revan, and was a self-contained story with a resolution... by all means, make TOR 300 years later!

Instead, they toss virtually everything of KOTOR out of existence.

Umm, no, they didn't. And even if they had made a single-player, 5 years after TSL game, you probably would have complained because the plot didn't meet with your expectations. In fact, most people probably would.

Lucas Arts probably realised this too - that there was no way to create a proper sequel to the half-finished, sorry excuse of a game that is TSL, so they decided to jump forward 300 years, with a relatively clean slate.

If TSL had an ending w/out a cliffhanger, then I would understand why they would move to a different era.

What Cliffhanger? The two plots aren't even connected. The only thing that connects the two games is that they decided to create some semblance of a connection by cramming the word 'Revan' into every sentence.

Is tOR as Good as KotOR III? as jae pointed out we dont know yet, but one thing that is getting clearer is the style.

Cliche story or not, Tales of the Jedi and later KotOR, created an amazing detailed universe in the distant past of Star Wars, romantic awe inspiring wars, locales, characters, races and adventures, Clothing and weaponry... With this trying to be a WOW killer, mass market fodder cash cow, dont be surprised if all the little nuances and style which made Tales of the Jedi and the various KotOR stuff awesome, slowly morph into "Clone Wars: The Old Republic" the Jedi will probably end up with brown robes in the end, the ships will look like clone wars era ships and the Sith army will look like Stormtroopers.

So what I'm saying is, this game will no doubt be good, but will the reasons that the old Republic era is by far my favorite era disappear now the franchise is being geared towards non SW fans and the mass market too?

So what I'm saying is, this game will no doubt be good, but will the reasons that the old Republic era is by far my favorite era disappear now the franchise is being geared towards non SW fans and the mass market too?

A very good point. Already we are seeing the influences you point out, the Stormtrooper-esque Sith and Imperial-emblem inspired Sith Crest, not to mention the elusive 'Emperor', all of which I find slightly unappealing.

I still hope that BioWare will be able to bring a fair amount of originality and manage, somehow, to retain some of KotOR's 'historic' atmosphere.

I will very likely give the game a chance, funds and connection speed permitting, but the first time a hero named Skywalker pops up, I'm switching it off. :carms:

Lucas Arts probably realised this too - that there was no way to create a proper sequel to the half-finished, sorry excuse of a game that is TSL, so they decided to jump forward 300 years, with a relatively clean slate.

What Cliffhanger? The two plots aren't even connected. The only thing that connects the two games is that they decided to create some semblance of a connection by cramming the word 'Revan' into every sentence.

Why don't you play the game before making criticisms.

TSL was half-finished, but the game's ending was not meant to be self-contained like the original. The cliffhanger... the True Sith Trayus brought to the player's attention... the true threat the Council spoke of in the original game... does any of that register? Imagine if Episode III ended there and the sequel took place after all the characters have already died. That would be a VERY anti-climatic ending. The Sith Lord's ending is supposed to lead to the next installment.

Actually, Lucasarts could have made a proper conclusion; they took the easy way out and started from scratch.

I deleted my previous response as I felt it was in haste.

Why don't you play the game before making criticisms.

I have, several times, thank you. I'll not bother to discuss this further, as it's clear that any contradictory opinions are going to dismissed out of hand.

Signing off.

the true threat the Council spoke of in the original game... does any of that register?

There is no true threat. It was just a lie that Vrook made up in order to blame others for his mistakes, remember?

TSL was half-finished, but the game's ending was not meant to be self-contained like the original. The cliffhanger... the True Sith Trayus brought to the player's attention... the true threat the Council spoke of in the original game... does any of that register? Imagine if Episode III ended there and the sequel took place after all the characters have already died. That would be a VERY anti-climatic ending. The Sith Lord's ending is supposed to lead to the next installment.

Actually, Lucasarts could have made a proper conclusion; they took the easy way out and started from scratch.

In all seriousness, though: What does TOR have to do with the KOTOR Series, and what reason does anyone have to believe that it does?

I have, several times, thank you. I'll not bother to discuss this further, as it's clear that any contradictory opinions are going to dismissed out of hand.

Since I've upset a number of individuals, it would be best for me to quit while I'm behind.

I wasn't under the impression that I just dismissed everything out of hand. I would dismiss absolute statements out of hand... some of mine were and they should be dismissed as well. There was no clear indication that Lucasarts was making a hype about a KOTOR III, but that was what a significant number of individuals expected. Few, even advocates for TOR, expected something else completely.

In response to the claim you've played TSL several times... can't state my opinion here.

Archived