Home

Will You Buy the Game? Yes Or No

ReplicatorJade

Will You Buy Star Wars: The Old Republic when Released?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Buy Star Wars: The Old Republic when Released?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I'm Not Sure Yet.

I have NO issue with the gameplay, but the storyline. Set this game to 5-20 years after the original KOTOR and I'll be on it no matter what. I want lucasarts to realize that they must correct the timeline to the plot before they worry about gameplay.

Considering they've already written the story out completely, started on the game, and have announced it...

Yes, 300 years is awhile. However, we still know little details about the story beyond that, and it could knit itself together nicely. The time gap gives them time to separate characters and possibly remove the two Mary Sue characters that K1 and TSL created.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not sure if I will be buying this, as cool as it could end up being...

I dont like monthly fees simply because I am not a regular player of anything, let alone time intensive games.

plus, Im an antisocial bugger, I like those MMOs where you can get AI characters to join your posse and wreak havoc.(like Guild wars).

...They dont whine, always turn up, and dont develop secret crushes on you(or vice versa) :xp: Also, given my location and time zone, its unlikely Id meet up with most of the folk from around here anyway...bleh :p

mtfbwya

plus, Im an antisocial bugger, I like those MMOs where you can get AI characters to join your posse and wreak havoc.(like Guild wars).

Well, from what we've heard they claim there will be NPC companions following you in the MMO sort of GW style.

The extent to that, however, is still unknown.

Im not sure if I will be buying this, as cool as it could end up being...

I dont like monthly fees simply because I am not a regular player of anything, let alone time intensive games.

Yeah, that's one reason I know I won't get it. I'm not a serious gamer. I don't like spending tons of hours a day in front of a screen. I get pretty busy with working on my projects that I enjoy doing way more then video games.

I like getting to a game when I feel like it. Not to fit in with a bunch of other peoples scheduels. Especially with the time differences.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Personally, if it clones Warcraft - then I probably won't be buying it. I find the current batch of MMOs just so uninspiring. The one thing that helped kill off Galaxies - before NGE - is the lack of content. Content is king!

I'll buy it as long as it comes out for Mac. If not, then well I will kind-of have to buy an intel Mac (hopefully a new Macbook Pro, if they come out with one) and then buy Crossover and then buy the game...But I still like the idea of a new game especially an MMO

They said the wait is over. What were they talking about?
The wait to see the future of the KOTOR gaming franchise. You now have your answer.

They certainly didn't mean the wait for the next KOTOR because this in not it! This is NOT it!
Yes it is.

If Lucasarts seeks to kill off KOTOR with this, I will not feed their pocketbooks. When KOTOR III comes out, THEN the wait is over.
Keep fighting the good fight! :)

I mean, they spread rumors saying it was a new Kotor project. But its not. Its years later, with a new storyline. What happen hundreds of years back isn't gonna be very important to the story obviously.

Revan's time is like ancient history.

That's the best thing they could have done. We get away from the Revan fanwankery and we also don't have l33t d00ds mucking up the original storylines. I'm all for the new sandbox. And frankly I would have been for that if it had been SP as well.

I'll admit, the art that they've released really makes the good look very advanced. But thats not what Kotor was. It was of the ancient times.
Too bad the screenshots don't make it look advanced at all. :(

Well, from what we've heard they claim there will be NPC companions following you in the MMO sort of GW style.

The extent to that, however, is still unknown.

That is pretty much going to be the make or break for me I think. How much can I avoid interacting with people I don't want to?

That is pretty much going to be the make or break for me I think. How much can I avoid interacting with people I don't want to?
QFE

I don't want to have to rely on teaming up with others to advance my character and experience the content. I want to be able to play on my own terms for the most part and may not be able to work out a time to go raiding with people I want to actually raid with.

I will probably try it but there is no way my Desktop or Laptop will be able to handle (Considering it will be atleast some what as good as games today) SO I am hoping for an X360 release too so that X360 users can play with PC/Mac users. There is a chance it wont be PPM (Pay per month) I mean as far as I am concerned and as it is the truth this game might be competing with Guild Wars 2.

I will probably try it but there is no way my Desktop or Laptop will be able to handle (Considering it will be atleast some what as good as games today)

This is a major concern for me too, but apparently there was some mention in yesterday's presentation of it being able to perform on a vareity of system specs. What precisely that range is remains to be seen, but I live in hope that it will run alright on TSL-type minimum graphics specs (i.e. what I have at the moment!:xp:)

The wait to see the future of the KOTOR gaming franchise. You now have your answer.

*snip*

Too bad the screenshots don't make it look advanced at all. :(

QFE

I don't want to have to rely on teaming up with others to advance my character and experience the content. I want to be able to play on my own terms for the most part and may not be able to work out a time to go raiding with people I want to actually raid with.

Well, I already sort of though about this...

GW had this problem. Everyone had the same heroes, so it was awkward to see one's twin brother.

What if TOR does this differently?

-You get a soldier companion. Looks, like gender, face and armour are randomised and so is his/her name.

-You get a Droid companion. Simple: different colour, different series number

You will then eliminate the stupid twin brother thing Guild Wars had. Also, since they are randomised, they belong to you, story feel is enhanced.

About the screens:

The 1-up live blog asked if this was pre-alpha footage. It was.

http://www.heroengine.com/charsys.asp

See? It's a VERY cartoony engine. Bioware will need time to tweak this to their needs. Like the oversized lightsabers. I remember how Guild Wars and WoW (to some extend) looked in their alpha's and beta's. Better take a look at the concept art or website art. It's where Bioware is going, not where they start.

Anyways, I like the style. Big shouldered Jedi...kinda cartoony. Quality isn't that good yet though :)

YES of course. I loved the KoTOR prequels, and formats for games change, and improve over time, MMO's are an improvment and offer vastly larger horizons than a SP game can, and we can be very very grateful to both LucasArts and BioWar they both listened to us and all the fans who asked for years for more of the SW and also the Knights of the Old Republic themes.

Archived