Home

Will You Buy the Game? Yes Or No

ReplicatorJade

Will You Buy Star Wars: The Old Republic when Released?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Buy Star Wars: The Old Republic when Released?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I'm Not Sure Yet.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would buy a KOTOR MMO if it were created, but since TOR is not what this fan wanted, I'm not buying it.

If people don't like what lucasarts just introduced, I encourage you to not buy their future product. That way, you won't set yourself up for another disappointment by them and they'll realize products like TOR won't appeal to KOTOR fans.

It's not K3 SP RPG, no, but who cares? It looks like a fun game all on its own merits, and I'm not going to let my disappointment at not getting the K3 I really wanted stop me from playing what looks like will be an entertaining game. I'll be there on day 1, and if I can somehow finagle my way into a beta, I'll be there even sooner.

All the people freaking out about montly fees, wtf? You expect the server maintenance to be free? When I was playing WoW, paying a montly fee SAVED me money. I used to buy three or four games a month at least to cure my boredom, but paying for and playing only one game stopped me from doing that. I'd say it saved me at least £100 a month. Seriously, monthly fees aren't the devil you are making them out to be, and to expect to play an mmo without there being one is just ridiculous.

I am definitely going to buy it. I currently play World of Warcraft so no way I can play both, I plan to try this for a month or two and if I like it enough, quit WoW.

That's probably what I'll do too. I'm afraid to have high hopes on TOR though, since I've seen so many MMO's fail. I've also never liked the Old Republic era that much.

And yeah, I don't get all the fuss about monthly fee's, since It's a norm for MMO's. :/

Well don't worry Katarn84, I'm sure you won't be alone in not buying the game.

Me: I'm buying it. I'll get a month free with the purchase of the game(this is standard). That's the average time I spend with most new games I get. If the MMO is worth it, I'll continue the monthly subs. Unless of course they have a lifetime membership option.... I might try that out haha.

Me: I'm buying it. I'll get a month free with the purchase of the game(this is standard) ... If the MMO is worth it, I'll continue the monthly subs. Unless of course they have a lifetime membership option

I'll probably end up doing the same. I have to say, though - this idea is growing on me - it sounds more and more interesting the more I read of it! In the end, though, for me it will all come down to required specs...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/video/6199708/star-wars-the-old-republic-revealed?hd=1&tag=topslot;watchlink;1

They say that the MMO broke alot of boundries that they wouldn't have been able to do with KOTOR 3. They said that it was like making KOTOR3-12. Im excited. I've been waiting for a New MMO, since me quiting Star Wars Galaxies.

I agree completly, tried a few mmos after i quit cu swg and found them all boring, to be honest having the support chars in this mmo will be the most intersting thing for me to see, as in how they react to other players.

Most likely no, but only if:

• It's released on the Consoles (I've always played the console KOTOR versions, plus can't stand computer game controls)
  • No Monthly Fees (Can't afford more fees along with Xbox Live's)
  • At least TWO Companion Characters follow you (Just One makes me feel that my team is incomplete)

I'm leaning towards no on this one.

Things I Like:

HeroEngine

Bioware

Things I Don't Like

LucasArts and their disregard for the fans

How many times can we make this story before people actually notice?

Oooh, let's draw in KoTOR fans by making decendants of the original characters!

Instead of creating a new, full-flavored antagonist, let's bring back an old, paper-thin cliche!

Forget what I said earlier, I'm not leaning towards no, I'm already in the no camp.

Most likely no, but only if:

It's released on the Consoles (I've always played the console KOTOR versions, plus can't stand computer game controls)

There's "talk" apparently about it, but the computer controls are gonna be radically different given it's an MMO, and you gotta learn like 5000 hot keys or be a pro with a mouse to be effective. In my experience at least. I don't know how they get that to work effectively on a console for other games.

No Monthly Fees (Can't afford more fees along with Xbox Live's)

You may as well stop thinking about the game right now then. If you bought long-term Live, then you'd only have to worry about the MMO for a long time.

At least TWO Companion Characters follow you (Just One makes me feel that my team is incomplete)

Don't know, but I think it's only one. Not sure though. If you want more characters to follow you, group up with other people and make them your slaves.

There's "talk" apparently about it, but the computer controls are gonna be radically different given it's an MMO, and you gotta learn like 5000 hot keys or be a pro with a mouse to be effective. In my experience at least. I don't know how they get that to work effectively on a console for other games.

I wonder how that would work on a console. The B button or something (Perhaps the Start menu) would probably bring up an entire command menu and those have sub-menus, and so forth. It's the only way I can see playing a console version without an input keyboard (or we'll just use the headset).

You may as well stop thinking about the game right now then. If you bought long-term Live, then you'd only have to worry about the MMO for a long time.

I'm not sure if there are any Xbox Live games that *also* require a monthly fee. One of the instances I was hoping for is that if it does come to the consoles, it wouldn't cost anything extra to go online.

Like Halo 3, there's thousands of people that play online at any given moment, and they definitely have a way of covering their costs somehow, without charging extra. Not sure about all the differences between basic Online games and MMO's that goes behind the scenes, how much extra resources are needed, used, etc.

Although I know I wouldn't mind paying extra for additional downloads, items, etc. Xbox Live has their Microsoft Points system, so I know things could definitely happen through that.

The thing I don't like about "monthly fees" is that I don't really feel like I'm "getting anything" tangible in the long run, and money's wasted on it.

Don't know, but I think it's only one. Not sure though. If you want more characters to follow you, group up with other people and make them your slaves.

If it is that way now, I hope they change it to two, like KOTOR. I thought it might be the standard.

I even wouldn't mind having less options to choose from for potential party members. Having just one along doesn't even feel like it's worth including the feature, to me.

Putting my head back between my shoulders, the thought that no matter how hard you try, you can't crush the Republic or the Empire, or reduce the Jedi/Sith Orders to ashes is... *sigh*.

Just when i was beggining to convince myself,that this might be a good game,have a good history etc... this brought me crashing down,face first,back to earth :(

All the people freaking out about montly fees, wtf? You expect the server maintenance to be free? When I was playing WoW, paying a montly fee SAVED me money. I used to buy three or four games a month at least to cure my boredom, but paying for and playing only one game stopped me from doing that. I'd say it saved me at least £100 a month. Seriously, monthly fees aren't the devil you are making them out to be, and to expect to play an mmo without there being one is just ridiculous.

Well yeah? You know, not all buy games all the time. Its just too much to pay 15 E/month if i mostly play NWN and kotors... Way too much.

I'm not sure I will. It depends on the information that gets released in the next months for a better judgment. I'll probably be waiting for the reviews, too. Haven't played a real MMO before (with monthly fees), and I don't want to make the mistake of getting a failed MMO as my first. But at this moment, I'm guessing I will buy it. :p

Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be logging on Day 1.

*Jealousy*

I'm sure we'll get the release over here a good week after you lot...probably have no chance of victory against all those high level week-veterans!:(

Anyway - I'm starting to look forward to this, distant though the release may be. As ChAiNz.2da, I'll probably buy on release as well!

Archived