Home

Revan, the Republic, The True Sith, and KotOR III.

Pikmin

The main reason people wanted K3 was to find out what happened to Revan, the Exile, their crews, and who the hell the "True Sith" were. Well thanks to information on the new Ole Republic site these questions can finally be answered.

The Fate of Revan

On the TOR site in the faq their resides a question:

How does Star Wars: The Old Republic relate to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

The answer:

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart.

A single phrase stands out above all the rest:

Revan never returned from unknown space...

And in the Wookipedia article for Nihilus there is another sentance:

The initial plot written by Obsidian Entertainment stated that Nihilus' mask was made out of Revan's skull, but the developers removed the idea from the game to leave the fate of the character open.

BioWare says Revan never returned, and OE wanted to use his skull.

Glean from it what you will.

The Republic

And what of the Republic how have they fared?

For more than twenty thousand years, the Galactic Republic has been the most civilized and advanced power in the known galaxy. Governed by the Galactic Senate with representatives from hundreds of star systems and planets, the Republic has been the center of peace and progress, a bright beacon in the darkness of outer space.

The revered Jedi Order has sworn itself to defend the Republic, to battle the darkness, and to bring peace and balance to the greater galaxy. The Jedi have served for millennia in this capacity, and in that time they have earned themselves the admiration of their allies, and the hatred of their enemies.

Less than a century ago, the greatest of those enemies returned…

The onslaught of the Sith Empire caught the Republic and the Jedi completely by surprise, and during a long and arduous war, the Republic was broken. After the capital planet of Coruscant was ravaged by the Sith’s Imperial forces, the Supreme Chancellor and the Senate were forced to sign the painful Treaty of Coruscant, which required the Republic to withdraw its support of several long-standing allies, including the ever-loyal Bothans.

Struggling with a wave of withdrawing star systems, an insurmountable supply crisis, and chaos on the streets of Coruscant, the Senate has become paralyzed in the years since the treaty.

The bitter and divided nobility of the Core Worlds disputes every decision, damaging the morale of the Republic’s already discouraged citizens. Blaming the Jedi for the failures that led to Imperial domination, the Senate has distanced itself from the Republic’s legendary guardians.

The Jedi remain committed to protecting the Republic, but the Jedi Council has moved from Coruscant to the ancient Jedi homeworld of Tython.

The Republic has trained up new squads of Special Forces, disciplined teams capable of working together with near-perfect efficiency. These elite troopers still work often in conjunction with the Jedi, but in many places, the troopers have taken the prominent role in providing the Republic’s defense.

Despite a post-war economic depression and the continued expansion of its enemies, the spirit of the Republic remains independent, brave, and strong. New leaders are stepping forward even now to stand against the dark Sith Empire, liberate the galaxy, and restore the Republic to its former glory.

And this line

Oh btw, this game takes place 300 years after K1/K2.

Glean again...

Not as much is there to say about the Republic, but the Sith are another story.

(oh, and for those of you{like me}who figured that Bioware was gonna dumb down who the True Sith were from followers of an Ideal to people wanting revenge. Well we were right.)

The True Sith

The true origins of the Sith remain shrouded in mystery. The Sith race was, in fact, largely unimportant until three thousand years ago, when Dark Jedi exiles arrived on Korriban and subjugated the Sith beneath their rule and their philosophy.

As the years passed, the Dark Jedi intermarried with those they ruled, and within generations, the word “Sith” took on new meaning. This powerful new civilization began expanding rapidly, led by a growing population of ambitious dark Force-users. Fifteen hundred years ago, the Sith civilization’s boundaries reached the Republic, and the Great Hyperspace War began.

Dark Lord of the Sith Naga Sadow led his armies in an aggressive campaign to destroy the Galactic Republic. Though the Sith were successful at first, the Jedi Order rallied back to defeat their dark counterparts, systematically destroying the Sith civilization on Korriban.

Unbeknownst to the Jedi however, the last Emperor of the Sith managed to escape the carnage and fled into Deep Space with his most trusted Dark Lords.

These surviving Sith began rebuilding their society on a distant planet, hoping to one-day return for revenge.

Over the course of the next thousand years, the Sith Empire recovered its strength. The Emperor developed a massive Imperial military, a fleet of advanced warships, and undertook dark rituals which prolonged his life and his undisputed rule.

When the time for vengeance arrived, the Sith began infiltrating star systems in the Outer Rim, sowing seeds of discord and making secret deals with local criminals and warlords. With all the pieces perfectly in place, the Sith launched an enormous offensive which caught the Jedi completely off-guard. In the first wave alone, the Sith succeeded in seizing control of several star systems in the Outer Rim, destroying the Republic’s shipyards in the Sluis sector, and strangling the popular Rimma Trade Route.

After the initial crush, the Emperor’s brilliant strategies continued and the brutal force of the Imperial military slammed the Republic time and time again, from the deep sinkholes of Utapau to the tall forests of Agamar. Though it seemed the Empire was capable of waging war indefinitely, the Emperor surprised the Republic yet again.

While the Emperor’s Dark Council engaged Republic leaders in peace talks, several Sith Lords and an elite Imperial army sacked the Republic’s capital planet.

Destroying the Jedi Temple and holding the planet hostage, the Sith left Republic leaders no choice but to surrender several outlying star systems by signing the Treaty of Coruscant.

Since the treaty, the Emperor has withdrawn to pursue his own mysterious goals, deferring control to the Dark Council, and setting the stage for a brutal power struggle. In the political vacuum, the strongest and most cunning Sith and Imperial leaders are rising up to assume authority, consolidate the Empire’s dominion and crush its enemies.

Well it looks like they are a species after all...

The Fate of Knights of the old Republic III

Ok following this sentance are reasons why we will probably NEVER see a true K3:

1:

Revan never returned from unknown space...

2:

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of KOTOR.

3:

So right there two of the biggest reasons for making a K3 are shot down.

1: People wanted to know what happened to Revan.

2: People wanted to be able to join Revan & the Exile in stopping the True Sith.

and:

1: The True Sith didn't attack the Republic in the lifetime of either of the two games protagonists.

2: Revan never returned

So what is their to make a k3 about?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm probably going to get lynched for saying this, but--

I don't mind that there's probably not going to be a K3.

The thing about SPRPG's for me is that after three or four playthroughs, I know every side-quest, every swoop racetrack, every line of dialog, every backstory, the best lightsaber combinations, etc. For me, an MMO has much more lasting value--and I've gotten to like interacting with people on MMO's. :)

When it comes out, I hope to see some of you there. :)

I don't care about the game at all. The story was what I wanted to know.

This "old Republic" was a deathblow to the first two games. It meant that everything in them amounted to nothing and the cliffhanger we have been waiting so long to know... it is never resolved. If they want me to buy the game, it MUST be KOTOR III.

SPRPG, MMO... doesn't matter as long as it concludes the first two games PROPERLY. This is worse than when the game was in limbo.

You know that this means NO MODS, right?

Yes, I know. The one downside of mods (except for conversion mods aka The Jedi Masters and Revenge of Revan) is that I have to play through the game again to see them! Admittedly, though, it's a lot of fun walking around wearing Revan's robes and watching Mission and Canderous follow me with lightsabers in their hands. ;) That's the nice thing about games like Galaxies. There's always another place you haven't been. :xp: I'm hoping that this game will have that quality as well.

I would have always loved a KotOR 3 and still would like one but I have a very deep feeling this MMO is going to be pretty damn good... I know longer care of the Jedi from begining situation its just too messy to get into same with other conflicts. And another reason I wanted K3 was I really wanted to play as Revan and teh Exile again or something. But we all know that Jedi can live very very long (I am not talking about Yoda) so who knows maybe one of them is still alive. And I will always always always refuse to believe that Revan or teh Exile died unless they had to/chose to for the sake of the Galaxy. But hey this doesnt mean K3 wont happen... though it is more unlikely... even though it will be like watching Episode 6 than going from 1-5

I don't care about the game at all. The story was what I wanted to know.

This "old Republic" was a deathblow to the first two games. It meant that everything in them amounted to nothing and the cliffhanger we have been waiting so long to know...

I don't understand what you mean. Of course everything in them "amounted to nothing" - they have to die sometime, and the Republic still existed 4,000 years later. They're no more special than the main characters of any other part of the Star Wars timeline.

I don't understand what you mean. Of course everything in them "amounted to nothing" - they have to die sometime, and the Republic still existed 4,000 years later. They're no more special than the main characters of any other part of the Star Wars timeline.

The cliffhanger at the end of TSL left the idea that the Exile and Revan were going to fight the true sith, but this MMO now says they failed and the conflict was never resolved. This MMO is worse than when the cliffhanger was left in limbo because the canical version now is carved in stone that the true sith ultimately won at the end of those games.

This MMO should have been a continuation of KOTOR, or completely separated from that series.

The cliffhanger at the end of TSL left the idea that the Exile and Revan were going to fight the true sith, but this MMO now says they failed and the conflict was never resolved. This MMO is worse than when the cliffhanger was left in limbo because the canical version now is carved in stone that the true sith ultimately won at the end of those games.

In other words, you condemn originality in a storyline, and you condemn it doubly so if it conflicts with your personal fan fiction-dominated view of the timeline.

I have never been interested at all in playing as any form of Sith, tho i realize many may, I have always felt the true focus of the Star Wars universe is the redeeming quality of the Jedi and their battle against the evil that lies within us all. I have no interest supporting that evil in any form. I think this new MMO will allow us to continue this battle and I see them working hard to extend the range we will have to experience this struggle.

well i have high hopes to for this new mmo but that dosen't mean i don't care that they are not going to make kotor 3 i waited years hoping and beliving they would release kotor 3 and it saddens me that it will not be done and this MMO has one bad thing in it 300 years after the original kotor don't get angry at me but it sounds lame but we can always hope

I'm with Addy on this one. -_- I think this is such a lame continuation of the story that I'll probably end up writing my own, just to stick it to LA.

... I'll still probably end up giving the trial a try, though, if only to confirm my suspicions of its impending lameness.

>1: People wanted to know what happened to Revan.

And we still can learn what happened to Revan. C'mon, he went to Unknown Regions, not died. We still have two hundred years for Revan and Exile's adventures in Unknown Regions. And I don't care, if it's a game by LucasArse or a mod like Jedi Masters or Revange of Revan. It will be my personal canon : )

>2: People wanted to be able to join Revan & the Exile in stopping the True Sith.

As I said above, we still can join them in Unknown Regions and stop True Sith for two hundred years...

K3 was never alive, obsidian made sure of that.

I love KotOR I, and I'm gonna try this thing if it kills me hehe, at least bioware have managed to destroy the notion that the True Sith are a geographically different race lol.

up the GAOTS!!

yea I know, check the years of True Sith threads Pikmin. Some (Myself included) always thought the True Sith (If they existed) could only be remnants of the ancient Sith Species who were documented in the Golden age of the Sith comics, bred with dark Jedi Etc... We were right. Whereas some people (Including some unofficial musings from Obsidian) believed the True Sith to be an Uber, secret geographically different group to said Sith... They be Wrong :)

These surviving Sith began rebuilding their society on a distant planet, hoping to one-day return for revenge.

Over the course of the next thousand years, the Sith Empire recovered its strength.

Who keeps a grudge for 1000 years? Nothing better to do?

Archived