Home

Racial Speculation

Web Rider

Note: this is SPECULATION only. Educated guesses, uneducated guesses, pure wishmaking if you want.

One of WoW and Warhammer's distinctive features is racial differentiation, something Guild Wars does not do. If you're not familiar with either of these games, it's something Bioware(with the exception of Nwn2) also didn't do, sorta.

In a nutshell, they have multiple, and generally distinct races, ones that unlike say, human and echani, when put next to each other, it's pretty obvious they're really different.

So, on the main page of starwarsmmo.net the image that cycles at the top has one with a Twi'lek female and another with a Togruta female. These could however, simply be NPCs or neat promoshots.

So what do you think, will they give us the option to pay a distintly non-human race, do you think they should?

as long as no Wookieez, I'm good...seriously, very few wookiees ever leave Kashyyyk...

Based on the storyline though, perhaps the actual Sith species will be playable for the first time ever? Probably restricted to Sith Empire/Dark Side for faction and alignment though.

Based on the storyline though, perhaps the actual Sith species will be playable for the first time ever? Probably restricted to Sith Empire/Dark Side for faction and alignment though.

I was under the impression that the "true sith" were not being brought into this Kotor, and in canon the race was already dead.

I was under the impression that the "true sith" were not being brought into this Kotor, and in canon the race was already dead.

The Imperials that've shattered the Republic in this setting are the True Sith, at least if I've read the premise on the game's site right.

I just want them to have an actual, fully customizable character creation system. I don't want to select my appearance out of 20 predetermined portraits...

which is exactly what you will be doing. The engine they're using is not setup for an Oblivion-style face-creator.

I certainly hope we'll have different species, even if it is restricted to those species we saw in K1 and TSL as Jedi or Sith (namely humans and twi'leks). However, I'd really like to see new species - like the Chiss (even though they rarely leave the Ascendancy), or Muuns. Or going by JKA, Kel-Dor and Rodians.

As Sabretooth said, a galaxy full of humans would be unconvincing. And would make it much more likely to see a copy of yourself.

...or maybe Catharr.

Forgot about the Cathar...somehow...:confused:

That would be a good addition, seeing only one has been included in one game so far! (I mean KotOR - I don't know if they were in Galaxies or not.)

Also, let's have a few 'just-for-fun' characters - like Jawas, or other more dangerous peoples like te Sand People - regardless of whether or not they usually stay on Tatooine. Maybe those kinds of species could be stuck on their home planets at the beginning, and have some quest to get off-world?

I would think the usual suspects would all get a look in (a la Galaxies) with a few ring-ins to tie into LF's marketing for the Clone Wars and the TV series. So far in the pics they've released I've spotted Human, Mon Calamari, Twi'lek, Togruta, and Kel Dor (the last two being blatant nods to Clone Wars). They've also said you can play a droid (which I assume would some sort of HK model). I would think Rodians are likely, with Ithorians, Trandoshans, Wookiees, and Sullustans possible. It would be nice to see some other well known races like Quarren, Aqualish, Duros, Gamorrean, Bith, Gran, and Nikto, but those all seem unlikely.

I would think that they'd want to stick to primarily humanoid races (at least at release) to minimise the amount of extra models required for bodies and clothes/armour.

In addition to different races, I would really like to see something done with humans other than making them the vanilla that the other flavors are compared to. Maybe make slight variations depending on which planet you start on in order to reflect different cultures, such as the Mandolorians, the Corellians or some near-human races like the Echani.

In addition to different races, I would really like to see something done with humans other than making them the vanilla that the other flavors are compared to. Maybe make slight variations depending on which planet you start on in order to reflect different cultures, such as the Mandolorians, the Corellians or some near-human races like the Echani.

It would be nice if every race had a couple "sub-race" options. ie: you could go twi'lek, and then Lethan which would enchance your dark-sidedness. Or you could be "human-echani" and you'd be better at hand-to-hand or more agile.

It would be a fun way to diversify the races without having a single selection screen with a hundred choices or only 6 "generic" species.

ALSO: I hope they don't do "ugly" transitions like they did in the other Kotor games. Those were so dumb and backed up by no canon whatsoever. Instead of evil=ugly, I'd like to see more tattoos show up. Sure you may not see them, but "sith" has in a lot of other canon, been associated with excessive ritual tattooing.

ALSO: I hope they don't do "ugly" transitions like they did in the other Kotor games. Those were so dumb and backed up by no canon whatsoever. Instead of evil=ugly, I'd like to see more tattoos show up. Sure you may not see them, but "sith" has in a lot of other canon, been associated with excessive ritual tattooing.

I whole-heartedly agree.

I was a little disappointed when I saw the grey-skinned Sith in the artwork for TOR. It would be even better, in my opinion, if we were to be given the three options to choose from with transitions - mangled and mottled, Sith Eyes, or tatoos.

Don't think it's very likely though...:(

the great thing about sub-types is that it provides more options with little or no extra cost in art resources.

Yeah, I suppose just a texture in many cases or a slightly different model. And given that so many of the other races are human subtypes, I'd really hope to see a lot of them in-game. (Mandalorians, Echani, Chiss, etc.)

Archived