Home

Disgruntled SWG Players Bring Hate to New MMO...

adamqd

I've just checked the forums again on the official site, and have realized there are about 100 Pre-NGE rants/Threads already... and it's not even a day in, it's pulled a very stagnant blanket over proceedings, with sigs like "SWG beta vet", "Death to the NGE", "Starsider crew 03", I thought I'd escaped this depression, when I alt tabbed over from Station.com, but it seems it was waiting in the wings already.

Not that I would want to separate myself from anyone, but I want this to be a new experience, where we are all noobs and have fun, to be honest I'd rather have people shout "I iz l33t MaNdO!!!" than, "oh god this crafting system isnt a touch on the pre-CU Nub!"

I wanted a fresh game, not a flashback of 05, anyone else noticed this? I feel bad for Bioware, they must wonder why there website is an MMO warzone lol

Not really. I was under the impression that Galaxies players were few in number, exceptionally few after the way LucasArts "retooled" the game. I would have imagined that they would look forward to a game that does things right instead of a fix to a game that is amazingly UNpopular.

Probably because the pre-cu did some things right. To be honest, I don't want this game to be pre-cu. I don't think anyone really wants the CU back so much. It's kind of like the old muscle cars. People have this vision of how they remembered the CU, but in reality it was clunky hard to get used to, and completely unbalanced. It had nearly no content at all. People didn't notice it as much because they were working on trying to figure out how to get jedi(after they announced it was possible). Then the inevitable question... Which pre-cu? The perma-death having, the hologrind, or the Village that required a csr every time someone went through it.

That doesn't mean that some of the good things shouldn't be brought over to this game. Crafting is fun in Galaxies. Unless they can devise a way to make it more fun in this game, SWG's crafting is still the most fun of any mmo. I would really like to see a crafter driven economy rather than a loot driven one. Crafting is something I like to do in between the big campaigns. When I was managing the guild I'd sit and craft. I got real good with my starship engines. Figure the odds that a smuggler(my main, my crafter was a SW) would want to have the fastest freighter out there.... I'd hit 2150 in my YT doing a full burn for 30 seconds. Generally enough time to outrun most anything.

I enjoyed Galaxies, and I look forward to this game. I hope to heck they don't listen to all of the disgruntled SWG players.

Even if there were no Pre-CU refugees you'd still get a fair share of people you won't get along with. Look at all the other threads on the official site and there is plenty of dissent from people that never played SWG (or any MMO). It's one of the reasons I tend to get sick of MMOs in relatively short-order - there is never any shortage of tools no matter which game it is.

As far as taking stuff from SWG goes, I think there are certainly elements they could adapt or be influenced by. I think it's probably more an example of what not to do though, especially in terms of how you treat your customers. I'm not so much worried by Bioware, although they've never done an MMO so it will be interesting to see how they handle the transition. What does concern me is how much sway LA is going to have, as they had a heavy hand in the CU/NGE.

Guest DarthMaulUK

The main reason why the old vets are disgruntled was how everything came about. Most will never touch an SOE (Sony Online) game again - but of course, this game has nothing to do with SOE.

Today, Galaxies is a far better game then the NGE version of November 2005 with many cool features brought back.

However, to give you an example. Think of your favourite food - say ice cream. Well, its like buying ice cream, putting it in the freezer, to wake up the next morning to discover it turned into something you hate (like coffee for me).

It's that simple. Most will never get over it, some just rant for the sake of it but it time to move on.

Hey I Play Galaxies now, but one of the worst things about SWG, is sitting there listening to people bitch about stuff that happened 3 years ago, I was just disappointed not surprised that this stigma found it's way to tOR so quick, this is simply my opinion, it just seems to have opened old wounds instead of making way for the new.

See, I've always championed galaxies, to some extent alone hehe, but then i walk into the promised land to find my enemies are already there.

I wanted to start a fresh. this is my opinion on old arguments, not my impressions on what is set to be a great game :)

Let The Old Republic be the Old Republic
I'm all for that. My Pre-CU tenure was fairly brief, so I don't bare the scars that some do (although I did mourn the loss of CHs).

The interesting thing is that I'm not sure that many of the really vocal Pre-CU lovers/NGE haters are true Star Wars fans that actually played the game simply to be immersed in the universe. They were the hardcore players that invested massive amounts of time to grind out their characters and rise to the top of the PvP pile. So they don't see that a KOTOR MMO should be embraced for what it is - they just see a new Star Wars MMO and want their Pre-CU back.

I was apart of SWG from June 2003 until the NGE hit. Enjoyed the community more than anything, and thought the game had a great sandbox style to it that kept me coming back. It's no surprise that a lot of SWG vets would flock to this game, since many of them have been hoping for this for awhile. I mean after all, we are all Star Wars fans.

I was never as ticked off as many vets were with the NGE, I just simply cancelled and never looked back.

The NGE was really a big failure that made a lot of people angry. Since LA was also resonsible for it, future LA games in the years to come will be over-shadowed by NGE hate.

From what I have seen, most pre-NGE vets will not really like SWTOR. But rest assured, there will be enough complaining going on, in and outside the game. Some of the complaints will be justified, others only blind hate. It's in the nature of any MMO.

Archived