Home

Any initial ideas for client side mods?

DarthJacen

Star Wars Galaxies allowed people to edit their own client side of the game as long as people didn't try to edit the server side.

I have many of these mods on my version of the game.

My question is this, does anyone, based on the screenshots that have been released, so far, have any ideas for some client side mods?

For example, prequel style Jedi robes instead of the armor, or Jango Fett style Mandalorian armor instead of whatever BioWare comes up with this time for the Mandalorians.

Maybe even making longer pointier lightsabers or changing the music or something.

Anyway, I've given some examples. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Any of those sound like fun, as well as easier-to-use HUDs, but it's really hard to know what can be done until there's more info on the game. With the art being only in the very early stages right now, so much can change between now and release day that it's hard to predict.

For me, maybe make that saber look a lil smaller...

any others, would depend on what makes it in game. I mean I used several mods before. Like the holster mod. But judging by the holstered sabre it looks like we might get lucky and they will include the "Lets not run through a city waving a weapon" holster option.

Might do a few UI mods depending on how things look. may bring some stuff from Galaxies over... maybe not... all depends on how it all looks and feels first.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if mods that edit the actual game (new skins, etc) will happen or be allowed. I am not exactly sure what Blizzard's policy is on this for WoW, but I never hear about any mods that give new skins or anything. In any case they would only appear for the player using the mods, all other players would see the texture they are replacing. The modding community is mostly focused on editing the UI to make it more user friendly, add new features or just have it look cooler. I expect this will be the focus of SWTOR modding as well.

I am not sure if mods that edit the actual game (new skins, etc) will happen or be allowed. I am not exactly sure what Blizzard's policy is on this for WoW, but I never hear about any mods that give new skins or anything. In any case they would only appear for the player using the mods, all other players would see the texture they are replacing. The modding community is mostly focused on editing the UI to make it more user friendly, add new features or just have it look cooler. I expect this will be the focus of SWTOR modding as well.

server side mods no, client side mod yes. Look at http://mods.mandalorians.de/system/news.php Star Wars Galaxies, and other mods for MMOs get posted here.

Mod Release Guidelines v1.2

The following are simple guidelines one should follow when releasing a modification. If a mod release doesn't follow some or all of them, moderators reserve the right to remove or reuse them without comment. In addition, only modifications that follow these rules will get a chance to be featured in the Downloads Section of ModSource.

1. The name of your modification should be distinctive and should already give people an idea on what the modification is about. Do not just name the .zip file like an included file that has been modded or a name that doesn't say anything about what the mod does.

2. The mod should be packed in an archive of a common file type, like .zip or .rar. Installation programs are also welcome, but always remember the currently allowed maximal filesize as seen in the attachment section of your post. The archive file should be named in the format MODNAME_VERSION.SUBVERSION.*. Be careful not to use any spaces or special characters.

3. In the archive, the mod files have to use the very same subfolder structure as used in the SWG root directory (if your mod includes .dds files, you would have to include a folder called Texture in your archive, for example).

4. Any external files including Readme files, Documentation, Installers/Uninstallers, Screenshots, Optional files, Temporary files etc. that you may need should be extracted/installed into the Mods\Modname (where Modname is the actual name of your modification) subfolder inside your main Star Wars Galaxies directory (file structure example for the default installation: C:\Program Files\StarWarsGalaxies\Mods\Modname\).

5. The root of the archive should contain a Folder called Mods\Modname\ that should contain a readme file in plain text .html format with an explanation of what exactly the mod does, installation/uninstallation instructions, a list of included files and folders, a version history with eventual changes and possibly more. An archive with a sample readme file is attached to this post so you can download it to use as a template. Use this template for all your releases, as a unified readme structure can avoid lots of confusion.

The readme file should be named in the format readme_MODNAME_VERSION.txt.

The Mods folder should also contain anything else that you wish to include in the mod that isn't the mod itself (for example Documentation, installation/uninstallation files and information, screenshots, etc.)

6. If you are including an Installer that creates Windows Start Menu shortcuts (for Uninstallers, Re-installers, Links to readmes and the likes), make sure to use the folder ModSource Mods\Modname\ in the main Windows Start Menu as default. Allowing a choice if and where to install the shortcuts is highly recommended.

7. Create a thread in the Releases Forum. The title of the thread should be the exact full title of the Modification including the current version number.

8. Quote the readme file in the first post of the thread you release the Mod in using the code or quote tag. Example:

Sample Mod Name 1.2

Modification for SWG (tested with Chapter X, Game Update Y)

by Creator's Name

@ ModSource http://mods.mandalorians.de

------------------------------------

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I. INTRODUCTION

II. INSTALLATION

III. UNINSTALLATION

IV. VERSION HISTORY

V. INCLUDED FILES

VI. KNOWN ISSUES

VII. MISCELLANEOUS

VIII. CREDITS

I. INTRODUCTION

A little intoduction with basic information about the modification.

II. INSTALLATION

First, you have to uninstall any previous conflicting Mods that you

may have used. Otherwise there may be serious compatibility issues.

To install this mod, use an archiving utility such as Winzip, ExtractNow!

or WinRAR to extract the files from this ZIP or RAR archive to your main

SWG directory (usually C:\Program Files\Star Wars Galaxies).

Make sure to uninstall any old or incompatible versions of mods first

(see section III. of this readme for instructions on how to do it).

Start the game and enjoy!

Note: This mod will put folders with some files in the game directory

that will be used instead of the files in the game. No actual SWG game

files will be overwritten. You can only run part of the files or all of

them at once for the full experience. Read section three on which files

do what. Feel free to simply rename or delete the files you do not wish

to use from the appropriate folder of your SWG directory.

III. UNINSTALLATION

To uninstall the mod, simply remove the files/folders that you extracted

at the installation of the Mod from your SWG directory.

Keep this readme file inside the SWG Folder in case you forget which

files have been installed with which mod and see section V. of this

readme for details on files included with this mod.

IV. VERSION HISTORY

Version 1.2 (Released MONTH DAY, YEAR)

- Fixed this and that

- Changed whatever

- Added something

Version 1.0 (Released MONTH DAY, YEAR)

- initial release

V. INCLUDED FILES

The following files have been included in this archive:

\Mods Folder for optional files like Readme, Documentation, Installer/Uninstaller, etc.

Readme_Sample*.txt Sample Readme file

\sample non-existing sample folder for non-existing sample files

*.* Non-existing sample files that change nothing

VI. KNOWN ISSUES

- No issues are currently known.

VII. MISCELLANEOUS

Write whatever doesn't fit into the other sections.

VIII. CREDITS

Thanks go out to all the modders out there that have actively or

passively contributed to this mod!

Special thanks to the people at ModSource - YOUR source for SWG

modding stuff (mods.mandalorians.de) for initially hosting this mod.

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) of these files do not accept any

responsibility for anything related to them. Use at your own risk!

Please ask the respective author(s) for permission if you want to

use these files for anything else.

9. Attach the archive that contains your modification to the first post in your forum thread. To do this, you have to be creating/editing your post. Underneath the Message box, there is an Attachment box. Click the Browse button and select the location of the archive that contains the modification you would like to release. Click on the Post Thread or Save Thread button to post the thread. This will create the post and automatically upload the file, if everything is in order.

10. The mod shall not exceed the maximum allowed file size, otherwise the attachment will not be posted.

If it does anyways, upload it to an external host and link it in the main post.

Note that a mod that has been posted only as an external link and not as an attachment may not be added to the download section, as there are issues with linking external files.

11. If you would like to release a new version of the same modification, edit the main post of your previous thread, including the thread title and the quote of the readme file. Replace the old attachment with the new archive or repost the new archive in a reply to the main post.

12. If releasing any mods that include customization of wearables, think of other races and genders than just human male. Most mods released to date are done only for males, thus can't be used when playing a female character. Include a female version and versions for other races if possible.

13. Add any files you use or encounter during the creation of your mod to the Star Wars Galaxies File System.

These are the guidelines from this particular website for making a client side mod for Star Wars Galaxies. We do not have the guidelines for Star Wars: The Old Republic, yet, but they might be similar.

"proportionately correct human and alien models"

Ah, you took my next idea.

You can still have it! I think, we all had that idea. :)

Single Player offline Campaign Mode...

:D

I like that idea a single player version, COOL!

ex-SOE Developer's from Austin Studio to KotOR 1 Development team conversion mod...

Funny, I hope to see that one! :D

Archived