Home

Oversized Hilts

Pwnzor326

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just you. They are hideous. And ridiculous looking. But, hopefully that's just a working concept, like the rest of the comic-book cartoony graphics. Also, note that the hilts look exactly the same. Hopefully that will vanish in favour of a more streamlined, more compact, and more individual set of models in due course.

The team is still trying to find the right balance between making the lightsabers big enough to be noticed but not so big that they're distracting. Whatever they settle on, they're firmly committed to the idea that you ought to be able to read a character or a scene in just a glance.

from day 3 of the exclusive IGN info.

So they're going for something in-between TSL size hilts and the 'Pringles-can'? Seems fair - Just thinking back to the OT - the hilts there were relatively big, though the PT versions may not have been...

I'm looking forward to seeing some updated screenshots as the months (please not years:() pass in development.

They are attempting to create a weapon that can been identified immediately when you come in contact with the person. As in, there will be multiple lightsabers that do different things and different damage and knowing what you are up against is needed to survive.

Now, while they might have gone over the top, I get what they are trying to do. Its why you see so many exaggerated weapons in MMOs: You need to know what is going on.

I appreciate the thought, but the execution needs work.

They are attempting to create a weapon that can been identified immediately when you come in contact with the person. As in, there will be multiple lightsabers that do different things and different damage and knowing what you are up against is needed to survive.

Now, while they might have gone over the top, I get what they are trying to do. Its why you see so many exaggerated weapons in MMOs: You need to know what is going on.

Yup agreed. I don't want to wonder if he's carrying a lightsaber or a mortar launcher.

Having spent some time of late doing hilt mods for KOTOR, my guess is the motivation behind this is they plan on customisable hilts and thus want you to actually be able to see it. In KOTOR the hilts are so small that custom hilts are pretty much a waste of time as you really can't appreciate the detail. They've taken it a tad too far with the vacuum thermos-sized hilts though.

Strange, I didn't notice that. Well it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, and as Avery says, it must be for gameplay reasons. They may even put it into the canon in some way, maybe something like when exiled to Tython, the Jedi started constructing a different sort of lightsabers.

I agree that there is no excuse to make them the size of the guy's thigh. I'd like to see them at half that size at most. I don't really care if you can tell that it's "Frutiy McNutters Saber of Smashing" or "+1 Saber of Overcompensation", I find fun in the surprise.

I think it's just the art style. Doesn't really bother me...

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I hear a lot of "It doesn't REALLY bother me" or "I can live with that". I want a complete game, an awesome game, the best it can be, while in this early stage we need say exactly what we want, because something as permanent and important as the graphic style, will not be changed when it's released, lets not beat around the bush, the cartoony superhero style, bites... so bad, it's not even funny

Yeah, no point bashing art style or 3D models yet. This is all early concept stuff. Not saying that it WILL change, but the odds are definitely in your favor.

Actually now is the best time to point out that we dislike something before it becomes locked in. Graphical stylings like this are going to be hard to change(if not impossible) after this goes live. The saber... seems like someone is compensating for something....

I think it would create some amusing situations if they were harder to see - get some trainee Jedi out to level up by killing other players, thinks he's come across a bounty hunter or soldier, and get royally beaten by a higher level Sith, all because he didn't take the ime to look for the sabre hilt!:xp:

Obviously, that won't happen with an oversize novelty sabre...

Completely. One would think that the distinct coloured beam atop the hilt makes a lightsaber easily recognisable, though.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I hear a lot of "It doesn't REALLY bother me" or "I can live with that". I want a complete game, an awesome game, the best it can be, while in this early stage we need say exactly what we want, because something as permanent and important as the graphic style, will not be changed when it's released, lets not beat around the bush, the cartoony superhero style, bites... so bad, it's not even funny

Amen. Let's please stop accepting mediocrity already.

Amen. Let's please stop accepting mediocrity already.

What can I say? I'm a cynic. I have never and will never have high expectations for a game, and am willing to ignore things that would otherwise hinder my experience in the game.

WoW, on hindsight, is a pretty poor game. I just ignored most of the flaws in favor of what I liked and enjoyed, and came to terms with things that I'd like to see happen but were unlikely.

I'd like to see a graphics change, but if the game turns out to be fun I can ignore the style and focus on the parts of the game that suck me in.

I hope they will be changed by the time the game is shipped, but I did not think about the fact that they need to be recognizable. Weapons are very oversized in WoW and it makes it easy to identify each weapon without having to look at it's name.

Archived