Home

Oversized Hilts

Pwnzor326

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, it's kinda a big thing, people will be playing this because it's KotOR related, so "The graphics are cartoony and crap, and have no relation to the great style of K1+2, but the community and housing are great" Is irrelevant to a lot of people.

They won't stay that way, no. The developers, however, will make the lightsabers big enough to be noticed. I hope they find the balance.

QFT - Lightsabers are such an important start of Star Wars, this project does look very interesting; but so much of it is about getting balance right - even to small things like this.

Maybe for you guys, I won't be going Jedi or Sith for the obvious rush of them at launch. Hopefully I can be some sort of brawler w/ a vibro lance.
Of course. And that's the cool part of it, people choosing different classes except Jedi & Sith. But like J7 said, balancing is needed in every aspect of the game, and the smallest thing can influence how we play or see the game. I'm also sure that the artistic style of the games isn't restricted to lightsabers, but will find it's way to Vibroblades and other melee and ranged weapons, too.

Yeah, no point bashing art style or 3D models yet. This is all early concept stuff. Not saying that it WILL change, but the odds are definitely in your favor.
Actually now is the best time to point out that we dislike something before it becomes locked in. Graphical stylings like this are going to be hard to change(if not impossible) after this goes live. The saber... seems like someone is compensating for something....

Absolutely. Now is the best time to voice our thoughts, and I wouldn't stop with forum posts. I would send emails to Lucasarts and Bioware (just like lots of fans emailed Fox to keep T:SCC on the air, and succeeded). If they don't get their inbox flooded, they will just read posts from the few people who like the new stupid look, and say "we have received mostly positive reactions", which of course is BS. What they need now is a good splash of ice water in their face. Star Wars fans are PICKY! They must realize this. We know what lightsabers look like, and that's what we want. We are the people you are going to be selling this game to. When we say we want a true SW look, we mean it. It breaks the immersion to do it any other way.

They are attempting to create a weapon that can been identified immediately when you come in contact with the person. As in, there will be multiple lightsabers that do different things and different damage and knowing what you are up against is needed to survive.

Now, while they might have gone over the top, I get what they are trying to do. Its why you see so many exaggerated weapons in MMOs: You need to know what is going on.

I appreciate the thought, but the execution needs work.

This is Star Wars. The size of lightsabers has long been established. We had have 6 movies. We have even had two games in the OR time period. We know what they look like. Any attempts to alter their size to make them distinguishable, will just make them look... WRONG!

In K1 and K2, it was what was on the INSIDE (crystals, etc) that counted.

Looking at the size of your opponents lightsaber is a stupid way to gauge his strength. Who had the smallest lightsaber in the movies? Yoda did. Judge him by his size, do you?

BioWare is strongly committed to its community and we look at all the issues brought up consistently in the forums, including the size of the lightsabers. At this point, the screenshots are a really limited representation of both the characters and the weapons in the game, so if you keep checking back you'll get a better idea of what the game looks like.

Again, we are reading these forums, and your concerns will be discussed, but I should point out that the blog this thread refers to twisted Jeff Dobson's words a bit. Jeff did say lightsabers would be customizable and that higher level weapons should look cooler than lower level weapons, but nowhere did he suggest that the paradigm for how to make lightsabers look cooler was as simple as making them larger.

The spirit of the Star Wars movies is important to us, and we're not going to just ignore that. Arguably, one of the coolest lightsabers in the movies was Count Dooku's with the curved hilt. I'm not sure if it was smaller than average, but it certainly wasn't larger. We want higher level lightsabers to look better aesthetically. We'll make an effort to show you what we're talking about as soon as we can.

Comment in the SWTOR Community. As some of you may know, R. Chestney is a former member of the design team and a senior writer, now part of the Moderation team.

We all, mate. :) I'm not sure our minds will be put to ease, though. They already stated their aim was to have large weapons (not only lightsabers). Let's hope it stays to a minimum.

After reading the quote you posted I think they were saying they wanted them to look unique, not bigger.

Yeah looking at the screenshots from the websites, they do look very big, and rather cartoonish as some have already pointed out. One would think that Bioware would have learned from KOTOR 1 and Obsidian's TSL that the hilts included in those games were BORING! They were ALL THE SAME HILT! Of course thank goodness for FileFront, where people can share better hilts with the rest of us. I know this game is in the development stages and I do hope that they fix that, and I'm sure they will. I just hope that they use a Jedi Outcast/Academy type combat system, and that the game is not expensive to play, i mean c'mon, most of us wanted a KOTOR III, including myself, but you know what? This game looks good, this game looks sweet, and I hope we don't have to pay an arm and a leg in access fees. I personally think that it is stupid to charge access fees anyway, but then again, I am not the designer...

Me neither, I want a more anatomically correct game engine. Star Wars Galaxies was never lacking in graphical design. It is many things, but it still is one of the best looking MMOs, I've seen. Yes, I still play it. It's not bad for a while. But, there is no roleplaying in that game. It's mostly pve or pvp. People communicate with one another over Ventrilo. Since, everyone can hear each other's voice, it becomes impossible to get into character.

This game should be different, but please fix the cartoony graphics. I already have to put up with the design of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, a very good television series, so far, but the it's still, too cartoony in design.

After reading the quote you posted I think they were saying they wanted them to look unique, not bigger.
They want to make them unique and bigger. There's some other interview where it's stated that they definitely want the lightsabers and weapons to be bigger than normal. Here's the quote:

We're actually still tweaking that. That said, we do want the weapons to feel just a little bit oversized. We're always trying to think about that "show off" factor. We definitely don't want to make them too small and miss out on that show-off factor.

This is Star Wars. The size of lightsabers has long been established. We had have 6 movies. We have even had two games in the OR time period. We know what they look like. Any attempts to alter their size to make them distinguishable, will just make them look... WRONG!

QFT/E.

But it seems like that's a price that has to be paid in order to have it the MMO way. :xp:

Looks quite similar to the lightsabre Ewan McGregor used as Kenobi in Ep.I (with the wider bit at the base). I'd very much prefer that design to the Pringles tin of death.

Hahaha Pringles of death..........this screenshot makes me happy though maybe there is gonna be at least an option for normal sized hilts. Also he has some pretty bamf jedi robes/amour.

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/images/bioware-mmo-project-untitled-20081021113619600.html

Archived