Home

Kotor MMO Info

Fiestainabox

(Sorry if you guys already found this)

Wookiepedia updated they're news section with brand new info for the new Kotor MMO! Really, it was just a link to gamespot, but whatever works.

Linkage

From what I read, you'll be able to play as either the Republic, or the Sith, and you can be a jedi/sith with force powers early in the game.

Even cooler though, is this part of the article:

KOTOR 3 MIA...WTF?

While the cash-minting potential of The Old Republic has executives salivating, many BioWare fans were disappointed the series didn't return to its single-player RPG roots. "There are a lot of reasons why we decided not to do KOTOR 3, and why we decided to do this as an MMO instead," said Nichols. "The unique aspect of storytelling, which is really differentiated for this game, is something the KOTOR franchise did very well, and we felt that just doing a single-player experience with a new KOTOR really misses the opportunity to take this out to a much wider audience."

"One of the things we like to joke about is just the sheer amount of content we're doing," Ohlen mused. "Our fans ask, 'Why aren't you doing Knights of the Old Republic 3?' What we're really doing is Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12-plus. We have that much content and that many stories...We really get to do a lot of things we really wouldn't get to do in [a] KOTOR 3."

That much content? From Bioware? Hmm, this has been said a lot before...but it looks like we have a REAL competitor to World of Warcraft.

But, then again, what is content defined as? The 2.4 patch for WoW included a wealth of new content, but really, it was just a whole lot of daily quests you do everyday, a regular instance, and a DAMN hard raid.

With all this so called content, they're setting the bar REALLY high for themselves, are they making the next WoW? Or are they making the next "Age of Conan" :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well with 9 million subscribers in wow they've got the resources avalible to hire a gigantic staff to work on the game.

And yes, sunwell was added in 2.4 or whatever it was but the instance before that was black temple. And having been through both those instances myself I gotta say that sunwell wasn't even half the instance that the black temple was.. not story wise, looks or the level of "fun"

I am still holding out to see how they're going to add a good story, but I believe that if anyone can do it, then it will be bioware.

It's funny how they act as though making it an MMO was how they could make the game more than just KOTOR 3; but 3,4,5,6 etc. A HUGE game could have still been a single player one. They made it an MMO for the $$$ that the kind of game rakes in.

It's funny how they act as though making it an MMO was how they could make the game more than just KOTOR 3; but 3,4,5,6 etc. A HUGE game could have still been a single player one. They made it an MMO for the $$$ that the kind of game rakes in.

I agree Henz, they are only making an mmo for the subscription fees people will pay.

Prejudice ahoy!

Ever heard of Guild Wars?

No subscription fees, because of game system (semi mmo) low server costs. Sold 2 million game units of the ORIGINAL game alone ($50 dollars times 2 million). And there are THREE expansions and some little micro-transitions for t-shirts and such.

Plus, I don't see why it is BAD you have to pay for it? There are MILLIONS of players. You get FREE new content (WoW content is perfect. Every patch gives new quests and new stuff) and have the capability of playing online in a huge world.

And, with all the respect, if you have a job, you can afford it. I should know. I have a 9rather) lousy job atm and party every weekend. Can easily make it though. :)

"The unique aspect of storytelling, which is really differentiated for this game, is something the KOTOR franchise did very well, and we felt that just doing a single-player experience with a new KOTOR really misses the opportunity to take this out to a much wider audience."

Got it, Bioware.

Don't know what to say. It remains to be seen whether storytelling has a place in MMORPGs. :(

By "real" I think was meant "hardcore" since the Wii, although respectable and innovative, attracts mostly "casual" gamers and families. The "hardcore" gamers don't hate the Wii, they don't see any reason for themselves to buy the system BECAUSE MOST(not all) games are NOT for gamers like them. I myself don't mind a nice, casual game every now and then, though I wouldn't buy the system still...or at least not for myself.

The all about the cash part is mostly true. When it comes down to it in the end, the company wants profit, but any good company knows that if they want to see the profit they'll have to put their heart and soul into their work. So for Bioware who's known famously for their hard work in their story-driven RPG's to make an MMO is a big leap and could either make or break them. We'll find out at it's release then won't we?

That much content? From Bioware? Hmm, this has been said a lot before...

They've made huge games before (Baldur's Gate II took around 200 - 250 hours to play through if not skipping things) so they should have some experience with it. Though lately the trend seems to have been going in the opposite direction, with games being shorter and shorter instead.

It's also worth keeping in mind that they're probably still at the "designer's vision" stage at the moment, and a chunk of that may end up being cut out (or moved to later expansion packs instead) due to time constraints during development. Looks like most games tend to get trimmed down to some degree prior to release.

You guys also gotta look at it this way, with the money blizzard made off of WoW, they're funding starcraft and diablo, along with another rumored MMO. Think of how many more RPG's bioware could make if TOR is popular. More RPGS = More Win.

fixed. Hey I enjoy wow, but I don't find it's content to be worth paying 40 for the game(the WoW+BC set) and then 15 a month.

Depends on what you do. Grinding for weeks on end isn't worth it for me, meet up with a friend and make an area team, or join a raiding guild, its only a waste if you don't do anything each month.

You can also get the base for $20 Canadian now, and the BC is also around that price, Wraiths a bit more, mosty because its newer.

Got it, Bioware.

Don't know what to say. It remains to be seen whether storytelling has a place in MMORPGs. :(

There are storylines in mmo's, if you really want a storyline, fine a good RP server. Biowares decent at making storylines, this one should be excellent.

Prejudice ahoy!

Ever heard of Guild Wars?

No subscription fees, because of game system (semi mmo) low server costs. Sold 2 million game units of the ORIGINAL game alone ($50 dollars times 2 million). And there are THREE expansions and some little micro-transitions for t-shirts and such.

Plus, I don't see why it is BAD you have to pay for it? There are MILLIONS of players. You get FREE new content (WoW content is perfect. Every patch gives new quests and new stuff) and have the capability of playing online in a huge world.

And, with all the respect, if you have a job, you can afford it. I should know. I have a 9rather) lousy job atm and party every weekend. Can easily make it though. :)

QFT

It's true, MMO's Make money. Is there something morally wrong about that? Everytime a company makes a MMO, everyone starts screaming SELL OUT, and totally Poo Poo's the game before its even out. Just because MMO's make money dosen't mean the designers are corrupt and really don't care about the players.

A HUGE singleplayer game is quite boring after the 200 hours you spend on it. Do what I did and beat all of oblivions storylines on xbox. I got all the achievements for Shivering Isles. After I did. I asked "Now what?" then quietly put the game back in its case, then moved on. However, I've spent 5 times as much time play WoW, and I'm not even slightly close to being done with the game, thanks to the new updates, I rarely ask "Now what?."

I'm obviously not disappointed that Bioware made a decision because of greater profit, just that said decision simultaneously buried KOTOR III in the process, especially as it didn't really need to.

Think of it this way, would you rather play the same game for 6 years like people have done with kotor 1 and 2, or play 1 game that changes quite a bit over 6 years? The decision is obvious for me.

Think of it this way, would you rather play the same game for 6 years like people have done with kotor 1 and 2, or play 1 game that changes quite a bit over 6 years? The decision is obvious for me.

It's obvious to me too. I don't want to play any game for 6 years, so I'd pick the one that I wanted that would last me a couple of weeks over the one I didn't that'd go on for 6 years :xp:

So I guess Star Wars: The Old Republic, a story taking place 300 years after KOTOR is the answer to the "True Sith"?

Sorry to say...but READ before you post. The Sith in this game ARE the True Sith. The only explanation we still need to get is what took them 300+ years to conquer the galaxy and what Revan and the Exile's part was in this. But it's the successor to Kotor in every single way. Jedi order is restored by Atton etc and the Republic is back because of Carth and his crew.

Sorry to say...but READ before you post. The Sith in this game ARE the True Sith. The only explanation we still need to get is what took them 300+ years to conquer the galaxy and what Revan and the Exile's part was in this. But it's the successor to Kotor in every single way. Jedi order is restored by Atton etc and the Republic is back because of Carth and his crew.

I don't see the hype with MMOs, I'm happy with just playing an 8-bit nintendo RPG.

If KotOR 3-12 is tedious grinding with supposed story, then I don't want to be a part of it. Honestly, the only reason I'm giving TOR a chance is because it's Bioware. Any other company and I probably wouldn't bother. As for beating out WoW, I really don't think that's important. Or impossible, for that matter. I think a majority of people will toss away the idea of TOR at first, just because it's a part of the Star Wars franchise. Maybe if the game becomes ridiculously popular in SW skeptics and is really successful, there could be a large amount of players. But honestly? I doubt it'll happen. Not that I don't want it to, I just doubt. Bioware is setting the standard too high, which is setting us up for disappointment. They're promising an MMO, which are notoriously known for being storyless grind fests, with Single Player features, and I just don't think it'll work.

Again, don't get me wrong: I really want TOR to work out and successful. But for now, the basis of the game seems really far-fetched and a potential bust. I suppose only time will tell.

Yeah it pretty much will tell. Like I said making an MMO is something that'll make or break you and if it doesn't have the right company or the right team with the right mindset and so on, the game will ultimately fail.

In this case think of PS3; the Sony company set the standard far too high by promising so much in the console and then disappoint thousands upon millions with it's high price rate. Not only that, they once again shipped far too little consoles over to the U.S. causing a very quick shortage. Although they had the $600 price, they seemed to sell out and also cause controversy with a person being shot while standing in line on release day.

During the console's first year out it was in 3rd place with the 360 in second and the Wii in first, but since then with the release of several exclusive PS3 games the sales rose. It then rose higher with the price drops that took place after the president resigned(you know why).

Anyway I digress from my main point which is that TOR is promising so much but Bioware is disappointing millions of Star Wars fans with it's high price.

Anyway I digress from my main point which is that TOR is promising so much but Bioware is disappointing millions of Star Wars fans with it's high price.

I'm going to go ahead and quote a few posts from someone who has replied to this better than I.

Haha if you count in the 4 large sodas at movie theater prices and the popcorn for the kids(and usually a shared one for the adults) the cost of a movie out is more expensive than a month of gaming at an online MMO.

Tickets around $30(if the kids are young enough....)

Drinks/Treats/headache medicine(might not be your kids, but other kids)/therapy bill.... Definately more than $30

So the monthly comes out cheaper for an online game than one night at the movies... at worst 2 nights at the movies.

Strangely enough, I understand where the aversion to paying a monthly fee comes from. I mean you don't pay for cable TV on a monthly basis, because the regular TV stations are enjoyable. I mean why would you pay for something on a monthly basis. Why would people pay a monthly fee for satellite radio?

sorry, I just find that argument very old and annoying. Many people already pay monthly fees to get entertainment. Generally far greater fees than 10 to 15 a month. How much do people pay for internet? While the internet is useful, most people use it for entertainment. Before MMO's I spent more time at bars. 40-50 minimum a night at a bar. Why do we pay for video rental instead of buying the DVD? How much do you spend a month on entertainment altogether?

All the people freaking out about montly fees, wtf? You expect the server maintenance to be free? When I was playing WoW, paying a montly fee SAVED me money. I used to buy three or four games a month at least to cure my boredom, but paying for and playing only one game stopped me from doing that. I'd say it saved me at least £100 a month. Seriously, monthly fees aren't the devil you are making them out to be, and to expect to play an mmo without there being one is just ridiculous.

This is really a fairly obvious approach - Fans were going to whine and whine hard no matter what they did, because no matter what they did, a significant portion of the fanbase would be displeased by what was done or not done with the Exile, Revan, the True Sith, the two crews of the Hawk, and so on. Let's face it, we've metamorphosed into the classic Unpleasable Fanbase.

So, what do you do when you're going to have a lot of people unhappy no matter what you do? Say 'screw them' and appeal to a new demographic. This draws in the old Galaxies players, the people dissatisfied with WoW, anyone wanting a decent Sci-Fi (Star Wars appeals to Sci-Fi even if it's only loosely related to the genre) MMO, as well as the less whiny aspects of the KotoR fanbase, Bioware's standby players, and a lot of other people.

Archived