Home

Kotor MMO Info

Fiestainabox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In this case they might end up not making nearly as much money though, because a lot of people myself included don't like MMOs especially when they don't finish the KotOR trilogy.
I think it is safe to say that a MMO has much more revenue potential than a single PC game.

I'm more interested in the story, but I don't like where the MMO has taken KOTOR III. I think that Lucasarts has set The Old Republic 300 years after TSL in order to have it brush the KOTOR storyline just enough.

If the MMO is a success, they will declare TOR as KOTOR III and keep going from there. If TOR is not such a great success, Lucasarts could say that TOR was not associated with KOTOR at all. Despite the bad rep that came from TSL being incomplete, KOTOR has a rich fan base. If there is to be a KOTOR III, then it would depend on the MMO being a failure.

(Of course, this is just my opinion and is not backed by any facts or sources. Feel free to dismiss this)

I think it is safe to say that a MMO has much more revenue potential than a single PC game.

I hate to admit it, but it does have more potential. But, like i've said many times, they need to do something that hasn't been done before. And I don't think that LA is smart enough to realize this.

I hate to admit it, but it does have more potential. But, like i've said many times, they need to do something that hasn't been done before. And I don't think that LA is smart enough to realize this.

There was an article I saw today that emphasized that sequels were the most significant reason that EA games had such a significant loss in their profits after such a great run the last three years or so... they made original games and continued with sequels.

I think that KOTOR III would have raked in more profit if it had been done shortly after the second was released due to the cliffhanger, but they tried something that could not quite be identified as 'original,' but not enough to qualify as 'conclusion.' I think LA does realize this, but don't have any good ideas lined up that could be put into action at the present time.

Sequels can become a death sentence to any one series whether it be a game, a movie or any other form of entertainment. Take the Mortal Kombat movies: the first one was decent and made quite a bit of profit; it's sequel on the other hand sucked and killed it. Now knowing that the next sequel is in production it could just add to the pile or repair the damage. The DMC series also had its praise with the first game and then sucked with the second. Fortunately it came back with two more, much better sequels.

KotOR III may have made some good cash if released shortly after, but the way I see it is that if they decided, "yes we're doing KIII" rather than the MMO and yet did NOT release it shortly after and spent that time innovating and improving it's look and feel all the while keeping the initial KotOR feel, finally to release it fall of next year...the game would most likely become rpg game of the year pulling in three to four times as much as they would releasing earlier. Same goes for KII; they should have worked to expand the deadline beforehand to improve the game.

No it wasn't, but due to it's high popularity and the want for more drove them to it and that's how it pretty much unraveled from there.

Yeah, you'd think they'd figure out that doesn't work after a while.

Thus setting the MMO 300 years afterwards makes all the more sense. :)

Although K2 wasn't exactly necessary, especially as a direct sequal, but I wouldn't say that it was a bad choice or even that the game is bad. I like it, as do a lot of other people. The easter eggs appearances from past characters help to add that nostalgic feeling to the game, which did something to make up for the fact that the game is incomplete.

• 1 month later...

IMO it's their game - hence their development decisions. :)

Seriously, maybe Bioware just wants to take the Kotor franchise in a different direction. I don't think Bioware want to appeal to the "K3 Fanboys/girls" but the MMO market that arguably has a higher interest than SP RPGs - hence may already have a solid fanbase for the game before it's even released (which of course would benefit them financially).

But that's my opinion, i never thought Kotor 3 would see the light of day anway and personally i'm all for "The Old Republic". :)

So you would rather see an MMORPG that can't realistically have a half decent, fairly linear story line like the first 2 be made, as opposed to seeing the story line finished or at least continued?

Decent? yes. Linear? Far from it. The freedom of choice in the KotOR series makes it anything but. I take that back...the only "linear"

part is that there's a beginning and and end, the non-linear is how it ends and how you got to the end.

I really don't see the reason behind your aggravation. Its their company and they can do whatever they want with it. don't like it? Don't buy it. If you still really want an ending to the series, read a fan fic. Or better yet write your own.

I myself feel indifferent on their choice, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to check out their progress. They're doing something so...its whatever.

I will be playing it as I'm a massive kotOR, mmo and SW fan, but it is without question the worst idea Bioware ever had and it will destroy the franchise and my enjoyment/immersion of the game, it will be about 2% as enjoyable as a SPRPG with the effort and style of Mass Effect. It will do well because there's about 200,000 (No EU/KotOR knowledge) middle aged male ex-SWG vet's waiting in the wing's to drag this game into Darkness :(

I just pray that interaction is minimal and the story is solo able so i can get some semblance of immersion and a solid SP story, I'm having nightmare's of a thousand 13 year old's with chat bubbles above there heads cussin and fussin the game to ruin.

I'm hoping Bioware can make a good go of this bad idea.

Decent? yes. Linear? Far from it. The freedom of choice in the KotOR series makes it anything but. I take that back...the only "linear"

part is that there's a beginning and and end, the non-linear is how it ends and how you got to the end.

I really don't see the reason behind your aggravation. Its their company and they can do whatever they want with it. don't like it? Don't buy it. If you still really want an ending to the series, read a fan fic. Or better yet write your own.

I myself feel indifferent on their choice, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to check out their progress. They're doing something so...its whatever.

A fan fic for a real ending? You have got to be kidding me. And I will not be buying it. Unless they are one of the rare MMO's that will not have the monthly fee. If they go with the fee, then screw that. Not worth it at all. And your argument that the game is "theirs" is pure garbage. The game belongs to us all. All the fans that played and loved the first 2.

C'mon people have Bioware ever let people down when it comes to creating great storyline driven RPGs? I say we atleast give the game a chance to be developed and once it's released, then people can truly judge it's quality.

But an MMORPG isn't the same as a regular RPG. There isn't a chance for a story in an MMO. There can be a general overall theme/conflict, but as for a great 1 player storyline, it can't be done.

A fan fic for a real ending? You have got to be kidding me. And I will not be buying it. Unless they are one of the rare MMO's that will not have the monthly fee. If they go with the fee, then screw that. Not worth it at all. And your argument that the game is "theirs" is pure garbage. The game belongs to us all. All the fans that played and loved the first 2.

No. Its theirs and claiming it as your own is the illusion. THEIR story, THEIR characters, THEIR hard work, THEIR game. The only thing that's ours is the right to enjoy the game.

But an MMORPG isn't the same as a regular RPG. There isn't a chance for a story in an MMO. There can be a general overall theme/conflict, but as for a great 1 player storyline, it can't be done.

No, it isn't the same but believe it or not there is a story in an MMO. In fact, there's hundreds of stories. You think of an MMORPG as the evil empire of gaming with so much attention and empty promises. The only difference between RPG and MMORPG is the MMO. All you do is share the world you play in. There's always the potential to improve an MMO.

I could care less about your opinions, but your accusations and insinuations are all subjective and false based on bad experiences and/or bad things told to you by others with their own opinions regarding online gaming. I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee either, but that doesn't mean the game automatically tanks. I don't "pay to play" for the only reason that I do other things than play games all day long; doesn't mean the game is bad. Don't buy the game and don't let it bother you. Leave it alone.

If you still want to play an online game but don't want to pay, play runescape. Its decent and free. Don't like that game? How about Guild Wars, Rappel, Flyff, Maplestory. There are many more decent online games for free. No, they aren't Star Wars but they're fun...and free. Still not satisfied? Too bad, deal with it because thats all there's left to do.

Archived