Home

Kotor MMO Info

Fiestainabox

It took me three years of murdering time on this website for me to find one person with whom I could agree about on one thing.

Glad I could help.

No. Its theirs and claiming it as your own is the illusion. THEIR story, THEIR characters, THEIR hard work, THEIR game. The only thing that's ours is the right to enjoy the game.

So after us paying money to play the previous games, and by buying and loving the games, therefore allowing them to keep there jobs, we the fans should not be considered at all? That is like the elected officials getting in to office then completely disregarding the public and simply doing what is best for themselves, not the people(I know this is what actually happens, but it is the simplest analogy I could think of). It is good you are looking on the bright side of things here. But it will not bother you in anyway to not know what happened to the Exile or Revan? They both go off into the Unknown Regions and we now have no idea what they did or if they are just dead. Yeah, I guess that's cool. Just as long as Bioware can line their pockets.

And in response to your list of online games to try, I don't like online games. I have tried them out, not for me. I play Call of Duty online sometimes, but that is far different than an MMORPG. When I play games, especially RPGs, I am looking for a great storyline that keeps me interested as well as sidequests that are interesting even if they don't tie in to the main story. An MMORPG is basically just a bunch of sidequests. And not only that but there are a bunch of idiots running around, unlike single player games.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They own the game. It is theirs. They made it 1)They love the SWU; 2)They love making games; 3)It was for fans of Star Wars. Doesn't make it mine. Doesn't make it yours. We buy and play it because we love and admire it. Simple, really.

No it won't, not really-and here's why: I believe that their part in this tale is pretty much over. They faded away in the unknown regions and 500 years later an armada of Sith emerge; fine with me. Yes it leaves a large gap, use your imagination and maybe with a little hope...Bioware might just hear you.

There are sidequests in MMO's, but there ARE quests that revolve around the main story of the game.

Yes there are "idiots" in the world as well, least favorable are the underage kids who take vulgar comments to a whole new unnecessary level. They're just there; talk, trade, group, or just ignore them which is basically what I've done in MMO's.

So after us paying money to play the previous games, and by buying and loving the games, therefore allowing them to keep there jobs, we the fans should not be considered at all?

Nobody forced you to buy the games, nobodies going to force you to buy TOR, stop acting like someone put a gun to your head an screamed "PLAY!"

That is like the elected officials getting in to office then completely disregarding the public and simply doing what is best for themselves, not the people(I know this is what actually happens, but it is the simplest analogy I could think of).

Good analogy, and its mostly correct, you have 0 control over what they are going to do. Have fun :D

It is good you are looking on the bright side of things here. But it will not bother you in anyway to not know what happened to the Exile or Revan?

In a way, yes, but, who says we aren't going to find out what happened to them in TOR? Take a look at Wrath for this, somehow, they managed to make a decent storyline out of the side quests, its quite crazy actually, they've even changed some of the lore that's to a point where its almost unthinkable. And, nevertheless, its Bioware. One of the best RPG makers out there (Right behind Bethesda IMO).

They both go off into the Unknown Regions and we now have no idea what they did or if they are just dead. Yeah, I guess that's cool. Just as long as Bioware can line their pockets.

Heh, this is starting to sound like one of those fallout discussions "OMG FALLOUT 3 SUCKS SO MUCH, IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE FIRST 2 BETHESDA JUST WANT'S MONEY."

I've even seen people suggest that Beth actually pays off websites like Gamespot and OXM to give them good ratings.

Look at it this way. Kotor 1 was released in 2003, almost FIVE whole years ago. Thats five whole years of games Kotor would have to compete with. Thats a whole 5 years of innovation that Kotor is going to have to make up for. Thing's have changed, Kotor is an Old game, very old. Frankly, I don't even think I could PLAY another single player Kotor, especially after playing Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

And in response to your list of online games to try, I don't like online games. I have tried them out, not for me.
Maybe you should try them, they can be quite fun sometimes. You shouldn't freak out and doom TOR to hell because its online and you don't like online games, that's like me killing your cat because I don't like cats...

When I play games, especially RPGs, I am looking for a great storyline that keeps me interested as well as sidequests that are interesting even if they don't tie in to the main story. An MMORPG is basically just a bunch of sidequests.
If you don't like online games, how do you know a MMO is all side quests :p

I like storylines too, its one of the reasons why I could play through 200+ hours of Oblivion, and 1500+ hours of World of Warcraft, they can make REALLY sweet story lines, you just look for them. MMO's don't revolve around you anymore, they revolve around the mass of players doing they're daily things, be it questing or grinding or running dungeon's.

Blizzard raised the bar with Wraith, they made EPIC side quests that don't effect the big, universal storyline, but rather add to a area's storyline, which then flow into another area's storyline, by the time your level 80, you would have been through most of the area's and not noticed a single seam. Hell, they have the ability to string entire continents together.

Plus. It's Bioware. They storylines going to be good.

And not only that but there are a bunch of idiots running around, unlike single player games.

Use the Ignore filter! Idiot's can't be idiots when you your ignoring them, it's the internet, be as rude to people you don't like as much as you want. Also, believe me on this, a simple monthly fee murder's 90% of the idiots before they even get online.

They both go off into the Unknown Regions and we now have no idea what they did or if they are just dead. Yeah, I guess that's cool. Just as long as Bioware can line their pockets.

I see no problem. TOR is not about them, and I for one would have it no other way.

To Fiestainabox: I said that I have tried online MMO's. That is why I don't like them. Though I didn't know there was an ignore function. That is a handy thing to have.

And I know that it has been 5 years, a very long time in the gaming community, but turn-based combat has always been basically the same. That same old element is always there. But Mass Effect is a perfect example of them updating the KOTOR engine to the next generation. Combat would be slightly different of course as lightsabers are thrown into the mix.

And as far as Fallout 3 goes, I didn't get in to it much despite that I did like Oblivion. But I didn't get in to the first 2 that much either. But if I were a big fan of the first 2 I could understand being upset.

But an MMORPG isn't the same as a regular RPG. There isn't a chance for a story in an MMO. There can be a general overall theme/conflict, but as for a great 1 player storyline, it can't be done.

Wow! I didn't realize we had one of Bioware's writers in here. I mean you apparently KNOW that even though they have said just the opposite(that they are doing just that), it cannot be done.

As for the monthly fee:

What do you do for entertainment every month?

How much does it cost?

Are you one of those very few people that does not have cable nor satelite?

How much do you spend on games?

Wow! I didn't realize we had one of Bioware's writers in here. I mean you apparently KNOW that even though they have said just the opposite(that they are doing just that), it cannot be done.

As for the monthly fee:

What do you do for entertainment every month?

How much does it cost?

Are you one of those very few people that does not have cable nor satelite?

How much do you spend on games?

I am on a limited budget, and get cable for free(don't ask). And I spend almost no money on games. But you can compare the storyline of any MMORPG to the storyline of any halfway decent single player RPG, and you know who the winner would be hands down. I'm sorry I don't want to trade an epic, deep, engaging story for near-limitless tedious gameplay.

But you can compare the storyline of any MMORPG to the storyline of any halfway decent single player RPG, and you know who the winner would be hands down. I'm sorry I don't want to trade an epic, deep, engaging story for near-limitless tedious gameplay.

Irrelevant. Bioware has stated that they are doing story which has not been done in MMO's to date so basing your judgement of the story on prior MMO's is pointless. Would you trade 1 epic story for 8 or more epic stories? I sure would.

As for the limited budget, I can understand that. You mean you honestly don't spend money on any entertainment through the month? No video rentals? No trips to the bar(that's actually my biggest one. when I'm not playing MMO's I spend more time at the bar... I've spent upwards of $150 in a night not including cab fare)?

I calculated it out one time and found that by spending more time playing MMO's I actually SAVED money.

Besides, when you purchase the game you generally get at least one month free. That's a good time to try it out and see if the story is engaging enough to continue. I'm not saying it is, or is not. I'm saying try it out before passing judgement, which is what so many people are doing. Heck, chances are, in six months to a year, they'll have a free trial. So you will be out absolutely nothing to see if you will or won't like it.

As for the limited budget, I can understand that. You mean you honestly don't spend money on any entertainment through the month? No video rentals? No trips to the bar(that's actually my biggest one. when I'm not playing MMO's I spend more time at the bar... I've spent upwards of $150 in a night not including cab fare)?

I don't. I've never been to a bar, and I'm 21 going on 22! Video rentals are like throwing money away. If I want to see a movie, I go out and buy it. My latest expense was Jade empire from the game stop bargain bin.

Besides, when you purchase the game you generally get at least one month free. That's a good time to try it out and see if the story is engaging enough to continue. I'm not saying it is, or is not. I'm saying try it out before passing judgement, which is what so many people are doing. Heck, chances are, in six months to a year, they'll have a free trial. So you will be out absolutely nothing to see if you will or won't like it.

One month? You get a week free with Eve, and you get like 15 days free with WOW. Please tell me how you get this one month. Though I do agree with you on the passing judgement part. I'm going to try for the free trial (if there is one) before I say its horrible.

What we're all complaining about is the fact that we all wanted another RPG and we get an MMO.

I don't. I've never been to a bar, and I'm 21 going on 22! Video rentals are like throwing money away. If I want to see a movie, I go out and buy it. My latest expense was Jade empire from the game stop bargain bin.

Meh I was a musician playing in a band in bars. I would go out socializing and schmoozing with friends at bars. And I'm a lush. I would drink a fifth a night and not blink about it. Well actually a former lush, as I only drink on rare occasions nowadays. as far as your game habits: Sorry, they don't make games for you. Well they make games you like, but you aren't the ones they design games around. They design games for the people that buy them when they ship. People willing to pay retail. By the time it gets to the bargain bin, you are actually costing them money. You are the broom, sweeping up the crumbs. In a way YOU are the reason they make SP games primarily for consoles and the PC games are going MMO(and of course the pirates). It's why places like Gamestop are exclusively carrying Console games and PC games are going digital download.

One month? You get a week free with Eve, and you get like 15 days free with WOW. Please tell me how you get this one month. Though I do agree with you on the passing judgement part. I'm going to try for the free trial (if there is one) before I say its horrible.

Pay full price for a game and you get a month. Every one I've gotten at the store I have gotten a free month with.

What we're all complaining about is the fact that we all wanted another RPG and we get an MMO.

That's the beauty of the 300 year span. There is a possibility for something in between. I doubt that Lucas would not want to milk the cow of console gamers. Sure it may be a ways off, but there is still the possibility that more will come. The real question is whether fans would ever be happy. I mean I remember fans signing off on the poll "The longer the better" but now that we get that, not so happy. I've said it numerous times, I would rather have had Mass Effect as an MMO and KotOR as a sequel, but for now, I'm pretty pleased. TOR seems like it will be an interesting game at the very least. Will it be good enough to be called a true sequel to the KotORs? I dunno. I think that IF Bioware is being honest about the amount of content, and the commitment to epic story as they are saying, it should be worth it. they say that when a writer is showing a story they should think of it as "Would someone say this to Vader?" so killing rats is out. Epic stories. Countless hours of game time. Things to do. Multiple story arcs. Things that WE wanted. just not squished into the base that must fit on a DVD.

Nobody forced you to buy the games, nobodies going to force you to buy TOR, stop acting like someone put a gun to your head an screamed "PLAY!"

Good analogy, and its mostly correct, you have 0 control over what they are going to do. Have fun :D

In a way, yes, but, who says we aren't going to find out what happened to them in TOR? Take a look at Wrath for this, somehow, they managed to make a decent storyline out of the side quests, its quite crazy actually, they've even changed some of the lore that's to a point where its almost unthinkable. And, nevertheless, its Bioware. One of the best RPG makers out there (Right behind Bethesda IMO).

Heh, this is starting to sound like one of those fallout discussions "OMG FALLOUT 3 SUCKS SO MUCH, IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE FIRST 2 BETHESDA JUST WANT'S MONEY."

I've even seen people suggest that Beth actually pays off websites like Gamespot and OXM to give them good ratings.

Look at it this way. Kotor 1 was released in 2003, almost FIVE whole years ago. Thats five whole years of games Kotor would have to compete with. Thats a whole 5 years of innovation that Kotor is going to have to make up for. Thing's have changed, Kotor is an Old game, very old. Frankly, I don't even think I could PLAY another single player Kotor, especially after playing Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Maybe you should try them, they can be quite fun sometimes. You shouldn't freak out and doom TOR to hell because its online and you don't like online games, that's like me killing your cat because I don't like cats...

If you don't like online games, how do you know a MMO is all side quests :p

I like storylines too, its one of the reasons why I could play through 200+ hours of Oblivion, and 1500+ hours of World of Warcraft, they can make REALLY sweet story lines, you just look for them. MMO's don't revolve around you anymore, they revolve around the mass of players doing they're daily things, be it questing or grinding or running dungeon's.

Blizzard raised the bar with Wraith, they made EPIC side quests that don't effect the big, universal storyline, but rather add to a area's storyline, which then flow into another area's storyline, by the time your level 80, you would have been through most of the area's and not noticed a single seam. Hell, they have the ability to string entire continents together.

Plus. It's Bioware. They storylines going to be good.

Use the Ignore filter! Idiot's can't be idiots when you your ignoring them, it's the internet, be as rude to people you don't like as much as you want. Also, believe me on this, a simple monthly fee murder's 90% of the idiots before they even get online.

QFT&E

I would be surprised if they're wasn't a free trial with TOR, you get 1 month for buying WoW, plus, you get 15 days if you buy the $2.99(CDN) disk, that streams the content to your computer rather than installing it. More than enough time to play really. Frankly, taking the single disk really gives you a much better feel of the game, if you take the one week that's on the website, you really don't get to "Feel" the game if you know what I mean.

Even if there isn't a free trial, I'm still buying TOR, and I'm going to spend quite a bit of time playing it, seems like its right down my alley.

Plus, if you don't have a friend who's a vet at the game, or a least knows whats going on, the game can get quite boring quite quickly, MMO's aren't about 40 hour solo campaign's, they're about meeting people and having a good time with more than yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
It's funny how they act as though making it an MMO was how they could make the game more than just KOTOR 3; but 3,4,5,6 etc. A HUGE game could have still been a single player one. They made it an MMO for the $$$ that the kind of game rakes in.

In so doing they also alienate an audience that would rather keep it at home.

I agree Henz, they are only making an mmo for the subscription fees people will pay.

You got it.

Prejudice ahoy!

Plus, I don't see why it is BAD you have to pay for it? There are MILLIONS of players. You get FREE new content (WoW content is perfect. Every patch gives new quests and new stuff) and have the capability of playing online in a huge world.

And, with all the respect, if you have a job, you can afford it. I should know. I have a 9rather) lousy job atm and party every weekend. Can easily make it though. :)

You just can't play it whenever you fee like it though. Though yes, if you have free time enough to play a home game, then you have enough of it to play it online...thing is the obsession factor will draw players in. A home title ends...an online mmo doesn't. Also, loss of productivity aside, the extra $$$ involved.

True, new content is free and they don't rape'n'pillage your wallet for it like they did on Soul Cal 4.

Still, loss of productivity is enough...now we gotta pay for it too?

I hate the "larger audience" obsession. It's all about the cash.

Just look at Nintendo. They're trying to appeal to old people and it's making the real gamers hate the Wii.

Depends on what you mean by "real gamer".

That's because anyone who considers themself a 'Real Gamer' is an arrogant twit. The Wii is a perfectly respectable gaming platform.

As for it being 'all about the cash' WELL, OF COURSE IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CASH. THEY'RE A CORPORATION.

Proof positive you can't count on them. Reason to be a cynical bastard.

So I guess Star Wars: The Old Republic, a story taking place 300 years after KOTOR is the answer to the "True Sith"?

On the one hand we're all left to wonder about our beloved Revan and Exile. On the other, it doesn't botch them by giving an end you might not want to those two.

In so doing they also alienate an audience that would rather keep it at home.

You got it.

So nobodies allowed to change a games style because some people don't like change? It's called progress, In MY opinion TOR is progress, no more playing alone.

You just can't play it whenever you fee like it though. Though yes, if you have free time enough to play a home game, then you have enough of it to play it online...thing is the obsession factor will draw players in. A home title ends...an online mmo doesn't. Also, loss of productivity aside, the extra $$$ involved.

True, new content is free and they don't rape'n'pillage your wallet for it like they did on Soul Cal 4.

Still, loss of productivity is enough...now we gotta pay for it too?

How the HELL is this a loss in productivity? There giving you 1000+ hours of gaming vs MAYBE 20 out of a single player RPG, then, they'd make you buy all of the extra content and maybe allow you to mod it. Plus, 90% a single player RPG like that would only be released for consoles, since everyone with a PC knows how to torrent[sarcasm]. So in the end, in order to play the SPRG, you'd probabbly have to fork out a couple hundred bucks to buy a console.

Depends on what you mean by "real gamer".

Proof positive you can't count on them. Reason to be a cynical bastard.

I hate how everyone damns things because people want to make money, I want to make money, everyone wants to make money, why should Bioware make a game thats not going to make money? Makes VERY little sense. Video Game Companies are around to make money. End of story. If you want someone to make a game exactly like you want, go buy oblivion then mod it up. Or, better yet, go buy Fallout, it's loads better :D

On the one hand we're all left to wonder about our beloved Revan and Exile. On the other, it doesn't botch them by giving an end you might not want to those two.

Think about it, it's been 5 going on 6 years since the original Kotor was released, do you honestly think anyone other than the few people who post here still care about Kotor? I love the series and would love to see a final part released but honestly, lets face it, TOR's the best your gonna get.

Also, no endings ever good enough for a gamer, it's never better than the first, and it's sure as hell always the worst they've ever seen.[sarcasm]

Besides, imagine the shock you'll most likely have when you hear Kotor 3 has been turned into an FPS, 'cause that's prob where it'll be going.

Archived