Home

Has anyone noticed the droids from TPM are now combat droids

DarthJacen

What is the deal with making the mechanic droids from the pod race scene into combat droids. These were supposed to be joke droids, including a reference scene to the 3 Stouges and the Jar Jar Bink "Hey, hit the nose!" scene. Why would BioWare make these into battle droids? Any ideas?

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/star-wars-the-old-republic/images/bioware-mmo-project-untitled-20081021113624271.html

To be honest, they look more like upgraded HK Droids than Pit Droids to me. They're bigger, and more threatening looking.

I don't see any resemblance to HK-47, 50, or 51 (They were cut from the game), and they certainly don't look like the HK-77 units from SWGs.

I can see sort of where you are coming from - with what appear to be stubby arms ( for a more diminutive unit) and the nose-button type thing. Maybe one of these things that's supposed to appeal to general Star Wars fans rather than exclusively KotOR fans? Like the re-hashed Galactic Empire insignia, and the stormtrooper-esque armour. I'm expecting a lot of those, unfortunately...

But as Alkonium says they aren't precisely the same - I agree they are more threatening, more battle-ready than the pit droids...an earlier variant?

Yeah, and it's stops there. They bear some resemblance to the Pit droids, but they're obviously not the same.

Still! George Lucas never intended the pit droids to be anything but funny. A little slapstick comedy in the middle of a dramatic Star Wars film that loses the main character, in the film.

Having droids that resemble them become fierce combat droids will completely ruin their roll in the first place.

I can see sort of where you are coming from - with what appear to be stubby arms ( for a more diminutive unit) and the nose-button type thing. Maybe one of these things that's supposed to appeal to general Star Wars fans rather than exclusively KotOR fans? Like the re-hashed Galactic Empire insignia, and the stormtrooper-esque armour. I'm expecting a lot of those, unfortunately...

But as Alkonium says they aren't precisely the same - I agree they are more threatening, more battle-ready than the pit droids...an earlier variant?

I would agree with you especially after ruining George Lucas' vision for what a Mandalorian should look like. [ie, Boba Fett (Original Concept), and Jango Fett (the perfected concept)] Now a modder that goes by Olsen, reskinned the Mandalorians to once again wear the George Lucas style of armor.

And on the Galactic Empire insignia, and Stormtrooper transplants. I wonder if Lucas was kept in the loop about this one. He's a very busy man, you know. But, then again he let TFU designers cut loose with the Force in a way that he would have never allowed in the past. So, maybe he's just getting tired of these questions and just says yes to everything now.

Can we...?

Yes!

We haven't even asked the question, yet.

lol

A.K.A Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie and TV series

George Lucas' vision for what a Mandalorian should look like. [ie, Boba Fett (Original Concept)
I think you mean Ralph McQuarrie:

th_FettConcept.jpg

Lucas doesn't come up with designs. He gives some vague overview of the plot and then hands it off to concept artists who actually come up with the design (or in the case of the prequels, they came up with about 20 or so designs and Lucas picked the one he liked).

I think you mean Ralph McQuarrie:

th_FettConcept.jpg

Lucas doesn't come up with designs. He gives some vague overview of the plot and then hands it off to concept artists who actually come up with the design (or in the case of the prequels, they came up with about 20 or so designs and Lucas picked the one he liked).

Yes, you're right! I, actually, got to see Episode III in production with the Hyperspace webcast that they put on every week.

Or add another layer of depth, as casual fans will sort of recognize the design as being starwarsy.

Yes, from a business perspective you might catch more flies with an old piece of meat that stinks than a new one that is freshly prepared.

The ultimate goal is to make the most money you can on this project. I can't imagine what SOE's bottom line looks like, but I bet that BioWare would like to emulate that success.

Plus, since, George Lucas gets a royalty check from almost everything, (Go ahead! Name a movie and check to see if the ILM logo or Skywalker Sound shows up in the credits. You would be surprised at just how many movies, and more are paying Mr. Lucas a royalty check.) he really could care less in the long run about what's in the game. He's getting paid.

Yes, from a business perspective you might catch more flies with an old piece of meat that stinks than a new one that is freshly prepared.

The ultimate goal is to make the most money you can on this project. I can't imagine what SOE's bottom line looks like, but I bet that BioWare would like to emulate that success.

I hold your entire post as true, but to be honest, you're making more fuss out of this single detail than it deserves.

Actually it would make perfect sense. I mean it could be an early model. Might even be the same manufacturer. Think about it: An earlier model designed for combat. Later replaced with models designed for combat. The early version not being adaptable as much, gets relegated to more simple tasks. Then becomes better known for the simpler tasks. The manufacturer stops making military grade and focuses on civilian models. Streamlining and trimming down the fat. removing armor plating. toning down heavier hydraulics for light weight, cheaper computer with simpler technology, using composites and light alloys, until you end up with a small light efficient and less combat ready.

Not near as bad as the G0T0 thing which was almost a direct copy of a later droid.

Actually it would make perfect sense. I mean it could be an early model. Might even be the same manufacturer. Think about it: An earlier model designed for noncombat. Later replaced with models designed for combat. The early version not being adaptable as much, gets relegated to more simple tasks. Then becomes better known for the simpler tasks. The manufacturer stops making military grade and focuses on civilian models. Streamlining and trimming down the fat. removing armor plating. toning down heavier hydraulics for light weight, cheaper computer with simpler technology, using composites and light alloys, until you end up with a small light efficient and less combat ready.

Not near as bad as the G0T0 thing which was almost a direct copy of a later droid.

Yeah, Darth Vader's torture droid! I like your potential backstory for these. Great logic.

Yeah, Darth Vader's torture droid! I like your potential backstory for these. Great logic.

Actually I used real military to civilian conversion as my basis. On the boat we had computers, the AN/UYK-7. They were made by IBM. You could shoot them with a 45 and they would still function normally. Or the GPS system that now sits inside small cars.

I just scaled them down, made them lighter, removed armor, and because they were lighter, they don't need as much in the way of heavy duty mechanicals. It makes far more sense than a droid that looks almost identical to a later droid, only far more advanced, that is being used in "military" applications. Going from a heavy duty combat role to an almost comedic civilian role makes sense.

Basically civilian adapted former military grade hardware. Though I must admit it's harder to fathom the 3000 year time difference not advancing them very much. Though I can kind of justify it as technology reaching plateaus. Or even seeing limitations based on wiring(there is only so much data a wire can handle before it pops). Possibly there was another type of "Dark Ages" where tech was feared. I'm kind of thinking of something like Asimov's I, Robot situations happened. Sentient/self aware robots attempt a coup. Afterwards cybernetic advancement is towards dumbing down of robots(for those of you that played Mass Effect, think Geth which was not so loosely based on asimov's idea).

Actually I used real military to civilian conversion as my basis. On the boat we had computers, the AN/UYK-7. They were made by IBM. You could shoot them with a 45 and they would still function normally. Or the GPS system that now sits inside small cars.

I just scaled them down, made them lighter, removed armor, and because they were lighter, they don't need as much in the way of heavy duty mechanicals. It makes far more sense than a droid that looks almost identical to a later droid, only far more advanced, that is being used in "military" applications. Going from a heavy duty combat role to an almost comedic civilian role makes sense.

Basically civilian adapted former military grade hardware. Though I must admit it's harder to fathom the 3000 year time difference not advancing them very much. Though I can kind of justify it as technology reaching plateaus. Or even seeing limitations based on wiring(there is only so much data a wire can handle before it pops). Possibly there was another type of "Dark Ages" where tech was feared. I'm kind of thinking of something like Asimov's I, Robot situations happened. Sentient/self aware robots attempt a coup. Afterwards cybernetic advancement is towards dumbing down of robots(for those of you that played Mass Effect, think Geth which was not so loosely based on asimov's idea).

3,600 years is a long time, but the Pit Droids are simple machines, though, so it's not impossible. Maybe the manufacturer went bankrupt. And, yes, you're right about military technology being reformatted for civilian use. I know, some of us like sardines and SPAM, which used to be military rations in World War II.

And, about your "Dark Ages" I Robot analogy, The Clone Wars was a time when the Galaxy witnessed the end of combat droids being legal. After that war, The Empire banned the use of combat droids and relied solely on clones (not all of Jango) and volunteer/ conscript recruits. The galaxy would never again use combat droids on such a scale, or at least until the Clone Wars veterans retired.

Archived