Home

Brilliant books

Arcesious

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! I'm surprised that no one's mentioned The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair. It takes place around the turn of the (20th) century, and describes an immigrant that moves from Lithuania to the United States. The book would eventually inspire Teddy Roosevelt's Pure Food and Drug Act.

All Quiet on the Western Front

Civil Disobedience by Thoreau wasnt a book but I still rather enjoyed it, and it was the only thing the prevented me from burning my copy of Walden, which now has the wonderful job of holding up my computer desk where a wheel fell off.

I'm reading Catch 22 right now, it's probably one of the funniest and strangest books I have ever read and I am very much enjoying it.

Ah! I'm surprised that no one's mentioned The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair. It takes place around the turn of the (20th) century, and describes an immigrant that moves from Lithuania to the United States. The book would eventually inspire Teddy Roosevelt's Pure Food and Drug Act.

That actually sounds fairly interesting. I'll look into it.

Well, Arc, you can't go wrong with Sun Tzu... though I'm trying, and failing, to find a complete collection of Clauswitz at the moment.... oh well.

Anyway, Robert Jordan and the Wheel Of Time come highly recommended from me...

And, if you don't mind 'Adult Situations' then I heartily suggest Terry Goodkind and Harry Turtledove, both are rather heavy in those situations though...

Otherwise, the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix isn't half-bad and C.S.Forester's Horatio Hornblower is my current project, and they've been pretty good so far...

I'm re-reading the lord of the rings trilogy. If anyone has read it, I just got to the town with the prancing pony.

It is one book. Which was split up for two reasons. The first being the paper shortage after WWII. Secondly the publisher didn't think people would buy such a large book.

Hunt for Red October, definately brilliant. Bravo, Tom Clancy!

If you like Tom Clancy. I highly recommend Ralph Peters' works, both fiction and non-fiction. He is known as the thinking man's Tom Clancy.

Band of Brothers! Definately a brilliant awesome good book!!!

I recommend the following books:

Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends

Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"

Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich

Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers

Any of the Cornelius Ryan WWII books.

Stay away from: Biggest Brother : The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led the Band of Brothers

I've actually read 3 of those books, all of them were excellent, I'll have to take a look for the rest, they sound great! :D Thanks! I'll check 'em out!

I should recommend Jagdgeschwader by Jason Meyer (<---me)

Should be out early '09 (finalising the endgame)

Here's a couple of excerpts:

Host: And…welcome back to the show. Our next guest hardly needs a mention. Author of Mein Kampf, leader of the Nazi Party and all round rabble rouser: Adolf Hitler!

Audience cheers

Closely followed by two Stosstruppe bodyguards, Hermann Göring and Heinrich Himmler, plus about a dozen SA “brownshirt” groupies in the background, Hitler approaches. His entourage waits sidestage as the Führer enters from stage right and takes a seat.

Host: Welcome to the show, Mr Hitler.

The host extends a hand, however Adolf simply raises his in the signatory heil salute.

Hitler: Heil me. Thankyou, it’s great to be here.

There were a couple of armoured corps among the Rumanians, immediately on the 6th Armee flanks but these were also half strength at best and equipped with Sköda models not much better than a T-26. In one instance they were basically routed by defending Soviet infantry and by the time Hoth arrived they barely had any tanks left at all (none among the Rum. 4th Armee), but they at least managed to hold some semblence of a southern flank with outdated anti-tank guns, reasonable aerial forces and determined leadership. Their Generals complained to von Weichs bitterly about available equipment, but what the acting Field Marshal was receiving necessarily had to bolster German forces involved in the main offensive. Due to ridiculously delusional ambitions the Führer had left him with virtually nothing.

Maximillan Schröder stepped out onto the platform at Gumrak and adjusted his eyes to the early morning sun, still tasting sweet apricot schnappes lining the back of his throat and feeling quite relaxed. Distant sounds of artillery fire could be heard even above the activity and vehicles instantly setting upon the newly arrived supply train, their source he’d already been told enemy emplacements less than twenty kilometres away. All around him Kübel-wagen, trucks and horse teams were preparing to load and unload box-carriages, scrimmage and canvass was being removed from new Maultier half-tracks, Panzer IV’s and StuGs on the flatbeds and fuel trucks reversed to a position where crews could refill them from the tankers. Mounted AA teams lit cigarettes and waved as a flight of Me-109 ‘Gustavs’ from Jagdgeschwader 3 roared immediately overhead, whilst the locomotive engineers set themselves for separation, servicing and the return trip. Scores of wounded lined the platform with their attendees, who stood by to help shortly convert the train into a snaking ambulance.

Working on a sci-fi now, no title.

I would ask mods to please excuse the double post at this instance, in the vein of an isolated exception (I'll not make a habit of it).

Here's the opening of the sci-fi book, still very formative in nature.

The Lightspeed barrier was pretty much as many people thought and simply a matter of taking a fresh look at General Relativity. The mistake of course had been in trying to force quantum physics to explain presumptions which didn’t really exist within the physical universe, it was actually simpler than some had presupposed.

The far side of the Lorentz equation was key, which is assuredly composed of hypothetical values but nevertheless allows for a hyperbolic map of relativistic effects associated with velocity. It says the faster you go beyond lightspeed, the easier it gets. The trick, was getting to the other side of lightspeed.

Exploring quantum entanglement within the macro universe brought about its own issues.

Archived