Home

F.Y.R.O.M.'s Name Discussion

Istorian

The last 12 years there has been a political controversy about F.Y.R.O.M.'s name, since they want to join the E.U. with the name Macedonia, while the 75% of Macedonia belongs to Greece from 1913 with the Balcan Wars. So, what is your opininon? Should F.Y.R.O.M. join the E.U. with its current name (Former Yugoslavian Republic Of Macedonia), or change it in Macedonia as they want to?

My opinion on this matter is clear, but I won't state it here before I hear your thoughts. Probably, those of you who know me would have already guessed it.:xp:

|I|

I think that for them to move on, a name change is important - 'Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia' has too much associated it with it, not least Yugoslavia.

A name change would certainly be a move in the right direction, I think.

@Web - We could just call you 'The Colonies' :p

The country should go with Macedonia. Aside from the pleasure a classicist would see from a return to that name, it would finally show FYROM to be a state in its own right, not at all dependent on anything else, past or present, for legitimacy.

@Web - We could just call you 'The Colonies'

:lol: Good idea!

• 2 years later...

sorry if i am late, but i just find this. as a greek i am offended that some here call the slavs of fyrom macedonians. also:

1) The fyromians are slavs who are saying they are macedonians.

2) macedonia is greek. epirus, thessaly, sparta,athens and macedonia in ancient world were indepedent countries but they were all greeks.

3) they are stealing greek history.

I would feel bad if my nation was called the "Former British Colony in the Americas."

You would also annoy a lot of people if you went around calling yourselves Quebec, though.

The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is, in my opinion, a terrible name on three counts: First, what it used to be is of no relevance, second, it isn't Yugoslavia, and third, it isn't Macedonian, or at least has no exclusive claim to the title and culture. My suggestion would change name, but choose a less heavily charged option.

sorry if i am late, but i just find this. as a greek i am offended that some here call the slavs of fyrom macedonians. also:

1) The fyromians are slavs who are saying they are macedonians.

2) macedonia is greek. epirus, thessaly, sparta,athens and macedonia in ancient world were indepedent countries but they were all greeks.

3) they are stealing greek history.

Don't worry. It's not just Greek history they're laying claim to.

EDIT: >_< Missed the post-dates.

Archived