Home

Grim Fandango puzzle/design document released

Thrik

actually, reading the document made me wonder why there wasn't a compete version release a few years later, something like Fable, and Fable the lost chapters.

Anyway, the end of the document is unreadable, is it the same for everyone? just wondering what the intended ending was.

• 4 months later...

I don’t know if this is already known but I just found this article that shines some light on the unreadable text at the end of the document.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grim-fandango-design-doc-now-on-net

Quote from the article -

"We didn't have the last puzzle designed when I wrote that document, so I wrote two nonsense paragraphs and then overlapped them in the file so it would look like the final puzzle description was in there, but obscured by a print formatting error," writes Schafer.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I rediscovered this pdf recently, and I took the time to work out the overlapping paragraphs (after "Manny doubles back to the car, reaches into Olivia's pile of flowers and finds his gun, then ... ... Ouch!").

It took a few hours of drawing over letters in Paint - or to be more precise, copying over letters from elsewhere on the page, changing their colour so I could overlap them and try and work out what was underneath.

One paragraph reads:

"Maybe Hector and you could have a showdown, like in Heat, and it's really a clue, like

you see his shadow or a sunflower shaking, and that's how you know where to shoot. And

then, blam, blam, Hector's dead. Manny's a hero! Wooo! Great ending, man!"

The other reads:

"Something really cool happens that's too hard to explain. I could do it right now,

but it would involve traveling through time, finding out the answer, and coming back.

Although I'm pretty cool, I still can't do that. No matter how much I want to."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived