Home

WIP: Galen Marek - Sith Stalker

Neon

Finally after all those years I can make a thread in the showcase forum. :)

I've started modeling on the sith stalker helmet today, and I'm going to try to get it in jka. It's my first model that I will get into jka, but I will work on it very slowly, because I rather have a quality model instead of a fast and ugly model.

So feel free to comment, I can use all the help needed.

Here are some screenshots:

headfullfrontyy3.jpg

w640.png

headperspectiveoe8.jpg

headtopperspectivemw8.jpg

w640.png

I'll be here to witness this moment in JA history! hehe

I totally agree with quality over speed, there's no deadlines when you enjoy the work. I encourage you to show wireframes of the mesh, it's more helpful to point out errors. I'm not really familiar with the design tho, it's from TFU i think?

The shape should be more along the lines of a human skull, at least judging by the images i found online, what you built has more of a ball shape.

Here's a good way of getting proportions closer:

Load a .glm or .xsi from raven and build your mesh around the head, line up the features such as the eyes (visor) and mouth so you will know they are correct.

I also suggest you dont get too caught up in keeping your mesh all quads, tris will define the end product anyway. Don't be afraid to build the whole thing in "modules" and connect everything together in the end.

Keep the updates comin.

Thanks, I've been looking for a file like this for a while.

Btw, do you edit these models, or build them from scratch around these?

Edit: I've been playing with that kyle model, and I must say, I've never worked with these kind of wires (all tris). I've always modeled in editable poly, instead of mesh. So this is all new to me.

Here is a screenshot of putting my helmet on the kyle model. Should I edit the model of kyle, or should I start the body from scratch?

longshotgroot091108ij5.jpg

w800.png

Personally i always modeled from scratch for JA, i only re-used the hands. I've always built around the skeleton or kyle's mesh, sometimes i modeled from scratch and fitted them around kyle afterwards.

I guess it's up to you, if you feel this will be quicker or easier then you should use it.

The reason the mesh is all tris is because it was imported from the .glm. You could still convert it to epoly but it wont be much help i guess, i havent worked with editable mesh in ages myself, kind of obsolete with the epoly tools.

I was looking for some iron monger reference and i found something that could be helpful:

http://www.actionfigurecollectors.com/articles/sideshow_ironmanmasks_may08.php

I think the mark 2 and mark 3 would be a great starting base for some of the proportions, i usually get a lot of images related to what i'm modeling when i cant find good enough material of the actual item.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived