Home

THIS is what happens when nerds get too much money...

Astrotoy7

What happends when nerds get too much money?

They make home theater rooms based on Trek or SW (or Indy) !!

Thought people might want a looksee ;)

Emperors Throne Room themed theater

SWtheater.jpg

An Indy themed theater

indytheater.jpg

Here's my fave... probably because it was a self made project over time. Alot of the others are people with money bags throwing them at custom theater design companies. Its Movie Era Trek themed... pretty cool ;)

bridgep3.jpg

Here's one with a The Next Generation Flavour

StarTrek_Bridge_Front.jpg

This one even had an adjoining customised bar..

StarTrek_Bar.jpg

Another Trek theme with actual props from the movies/series (chair from Enterprise series 1-3)

0607-startrekprops-slide1.jpg

This guy even had someone program him an LCARS themed control system..

0607-startrekprops-slide2.jpg

Finally,if thats not geekcore enough, you can go all out and turn your whole apartment into the set of ST Voyager :D

also see youtube vid.

voyager-slide-apartment-now.jpg

voyager-slide-kitchen-after.jpg

IIRC, the guy sold that apartmennt for almost 500,000 UK pounds last year or so...

mtfbwya

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the coolness is far overshadowed by the fact that it is an utterly ridiculous waste of money. The only one I could live with is the 'home made one' which was self made with patience over 2 years, and on a comparatively very low budget(15k) Its much humbler in size than that panoramic photo indicates

Some of those setups cost over $500,000 USD (FFS!) The projectors in some alone cost $50,000.. sheesh. Charity starts in the home, not the home theater. What they all need is a healthy dose of this

One_point.jpg [/visual]

And then people in Western countries wonder why kids growing up in dirt and grime in Indonesia, Africa and The Middle East are so easily swayed into despising them by zealout types..

mtfbwya

If I had that kind of money, I doubt that I'd waste it on something like that (no matter how cool it may be).

And then people in Western countries wonder why kids growing up in dirt and grime in Indonesia, Africa and The Middle East are so easily swayed into despising them by zealout types..

mtfbwya

QFT.

More like unbridled capitalism lends itself to exclude specific circumstances and individuals from a wealth of choices assumed to be freely available. The distance from homelessness to impoverished minimum wage employment is roughly the same as that from entry level semi-skilled to management and tertiary qualified to executive master of the universe, a figure whom will inevitably claim this capitalist democracy makes such an eventuality simply a matter of choice for anyone in any circumstance. That is a lie.

This socio-economic government can also be readily utilised by unscrupulous individuals to either victimise or further exclude individuals from presumably available choices based upon religion, race or ideology, or sometimes simply for the wont to victimise the way an ape likes to beat his chest.

The truth is you have more or less rights based upon social influence, employment background and personal finance. This directly contravenes democratic ideology, which itself has been literally redefined dependent upon geographic location. Public representation in Websters, select representative council in the Oxford (each however cites the other as allies). Even Lenin believed he had evolved the first "true democracy" and so did the Mensheviks. Hitler felt he represented the best wishes of Germany. Stalin was just a megalomaniac.

The real truth is democracy was cast by the philosophers of Enlightenment as being wholly represented by inalienable common rights above all else, above all other forms of government and economics.

When I was a kid eating out of bins and sleeping up the railway tracks, this sort of thing was on my mind, personally. I didn't mind people being wealthier and luckier, I did when they started making claims about why I was where I was and they were where they were however, because this is the kind of sentimentality which therefore excludes my efforts to effect change. That would make me damn angry.

I think I agree with Litofsky. This is the kind of thing that's cool, but hardly something I would waste my money on. It's something worth visiting a mall shop for, but not to have on your home.

[Extremely well spoken and lucid(?) analysis snipped]

When I was a kid eating out of bins and sleeping up the railway tracks, this sort of thing was on my mind, personally. I didn't mind people being wealthier and luckier, I did when they started making claims about why I was where I was and they were where they were however, because this is the kind of sentimentality which therefore excludes my efforts to effect change. That would make me damn angry.

Well, my dear Kavar Orphan, I can't say anything else about this except that I agree completely.

...It's not the fact that there are western people who have lots of money and are wasting it that bugs people in those situations.

IIRC, the country you are from(Fiji) is a tad more tolerant of westerners than Afghanistan, Iran, Somalia etc ;)

I had a lovely time by the pool there a cpl of years ago, I dont think you could pull that off in swanky Afghanistan...

From my own experience, although (Northern) Cyprus and Turkey are moderate Islamic regions, the suspicion of the West runs deep ... *Not* to do with religion in our case but the attemped British/Aus/Nz Invasion in 1915 and the concurrent British colonisation of Cyprus until their exit preceding the civil war(culminating 1974).

Firstly, sorry to hear about your difficult experiences. Hope things are brighter for you now... and yes! right on the money about the attitude of people with wealth and influence as opposed to those with none. Across even the wealthiest of nations, this is the single underlying division that is the rotten core of capitalism. Somehow, and unfortunately the practises of certain nations have fused the notions of capitalism + democracy, whereas its original proponents had more positive things in mind..

In an ideal world, there would be no poverty or starvation but it's not an ideal world so what these people spend their money on is their business without having to bring up the fact there are people dying etc..

Its the degree of excess that is disturbing. Im sure most of us here are grateful for being literate, having an opportunity to get an education, medical care, access to food and clean water supply etc. We obviously must have computer and internet access etc.. These arent things anyone should feel guilty about, but when you're fluffin over half a million for a room with a screen, where you can achieve the same for much much less, the question begs to be asked - did you really need to spend that much?

Good luck to them I say! If I had the money I'd buy that Voyager themed house, I mean DAMN that is awesome

lolz, as long as you dont mind sleeping on the transporter pad, sure :D

This is the kind of thing that's cool, but hardly something I would waste my money on. It's something worth visiting a mall shop for, but not to have on your home

Indeed. No one minds that our local theaters have facilities and equipment costing 100s or thousands because it is created for and enjoyed by many.

mtfbwya

It's all good A7, twas a long time ago and in one respect, aside from said concern might be thought of as a great adventure. Most of the time I was more curious than sad. And Ctrl Alt Del is quite right, more in depth discussion along this detraction would really belong somewhere like Kavar's. I guess I was addressing a point which had been brought up.

I always wanted to construct a Millenium Falcon in a backyard myself, scaled and livable. I'd live in it. But as I've grown to understand my own heart rather well, I've realised there are many fantasies I could not in good conscience make reality, even if achievable. Paying near a hundred-K for a car, for example where I could purchase a perfectly suitable used prestige model for closer to twenty, recognising that much of the cost of a new car is to profit a veritable mob of others solely in the act of me buying a car...the very core of capitalist philosophy and where poverty does exist, I consider politically questionable. But this is a personal preference, like a voting ballot.

Indeed good luck to those with tremendous financial resources within the capitalist environment, however particularly where little other government is available there is the matter of conscience and guilt to play the roles for which they themselves sequester. I have no need to prevent complete freedom of expression in personal expenditure, neither do I have the need to alienate consequence for my actions and personality...which can be a powerful influence of its own kind, so I've found on occasion.

..But as I've grown to understand my own heart rather well, I've realised there are many fantasies I could not in good conscience make reality, even if achievable....

I'd say this is the mode of life for many of us...the happy(?) imbalance between spend a bit, pay out alot, get paid enough to perpetuate the cycle. Im always mindful of the staggering estimation that 70% of families with mortgages are 2 missed pay checks from being broke. (it definitely applies for myself and many I know)

Yet, it's that small percentage that baffle me. When they have more means than ends, they so often seem to conjur amazing ways to squander it! Mansions, multiple properties, jewels and luxuries that are above and beyond the conduct and means of most people.

The profession that really irks me are actors. OK, you are a good, actor, you can carry a film, play your part etc. But is it worth 25 freaking million to do so? Then you hear about cast members of hugely popular serial shows, asking for 1-2 million per episode. Im nowhere near calm enough to say "good on 'em" to people with nerve like that :p The bitterest irony is that every donation they may make to charity is recouped via a taxation trick. Downright criminal :(

as for continuing such a topic at Kavars... I know enough Latin to understand Jae's scrolling title, and why it is there ;)

tread there, I do not :D !! [/yodaspeak]

mtfbwya

the coolness is far overshadowed by the fact that it is an utterly ridiculous waste of money. The only one I could live with is the 'home made one' which was self made with patience over 2 years, and on a comparatively very low budget(15k) Its much humbler in size than that panoramic photo indicates

Some of those setups cost over $500,000 USD (FFS!) The projectors in some alone cost $50,000.. sheesh. Charity starts in the home, not the home theater. What they all need is a healthy dose of this

One_point.jpg [/visual]

mtfbwya

I'm Indonesian.

IIRC, the country you are from(Fiji) is a tad more tolerant of westerners than Afghanistan, Iran, Somalia etc ;)

I had a lovely time by the pool there a cpl of years ago, I dont think you could pull that off in swanky Afghanistan...

Yeah... it's one thing to go there for a holiday, it's another thing to actually live there though. What you're seeing is the little bit of Fiji that's set up just for the tourists and everyone doesn't want to screw with the tourists because it's the ONLY source of income for the country.

Also, poor is poor... and as I said in my last post, what people feel about westerners doesn't have anything to do about being poor or not.

@ Jae: Oh, oh, oh... make sure you have an authentic holographic chess set like they do. Man, that'd be soooooo awesome!

As for what I'd do with my house if I had that kind of money... I wouldn't turn it into any themed thing like these other guys have done, but I would invest in making it "futuristic" in some way... in a practical sense of course lol.

Archived