Home

THIS is what happens when nerds get too much money...

Astrotoy7

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yet, it's that small percentage that baffle me. When they have more means than ends, they so often seem to conjur amazing ways to squander it! Mansions, multiple properties, jewels and luxuries that are above and beyond the conduct and means of most people.

Let's be totally honest here, if you won the lottery would you give it all to charity? I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we would squander a huge amount of it on materialistic crap we don't need. We do it on a daily basis with normal pay checks, games, dvds etc etc. Anything that doesn't either help put a roof over your head, clothe you or feed you is money wasted on pure indulgence.

I actually donate to 5 different charities a month, BUT I also spend alot of money on pure crap intended to keep my primative brain entertained for just that little bit longer until the next pay goes into the bank.

Unless you give every single bit of spare money to charity, I don't think anyone has the right to judge what people do with their hard earned money, be it actor or not. We live in a highly developed western world where the food is fast and so is the entertainment, it's just how it is, so if Mr. Nerd wants to spend his money doing up his house as the set of Voyager, how is that exactly different from spending it on the latest bit of designer furniture?

As much as I hate to quote from the bible, I think it's appropriate to say "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone". :)

Let's be totally honest here, if you won the lottery would you give it all to charity?

Now there's a nice if :) It all depends on the amount won of course!

I have it all planned out too(daydreaming dulls the pain of living from one paycheck to the next)

*Pay off the ****in mortgage, send the bank a photo of me giving them the magic finger

*Buy a modest little flat in spain with enough space for us and 2 cats

*start a low cost health service in the city I grew up in(in OZ) and Northern Cyprus

*leave enough money so that I can live with an ample supply of Tacos and red cordial

*As far as indulgences go, apart from things like a ps3, new compy etc, I'd be hard pressed to think of anything I'd splurge on. I plan on getting these things even now, but its just a matter of saving for them, slow n steady

*If I ever did get rich and somehow bought a mansion and 7 ferraris, I authorise any one of you to come kick me in the nuts.

@Ultimate Vader Im very pleased to see an Indonesian member of LFN!! Perhaps I am not the only muslim here after all ;) Im glad that things have calmed down a bit after the burial of the 2 convicted in association with the bombing. Like I said, there a small percentage of people that fall prey to hateful messages spread by zealots. The conditions they have grown up will often contribute to this. It is because of this small percentage that parts of the world have developed a negative perception of Islamic people. It sucks.

Im very pleased Mr Obama has a close tie to Indonesia. Hopefully the relations between US and Islamic nations may improve... I dont think it could get any worse(after Dubya) thats for sure!

Alekum Selam

Astro

@ Astro: I'm sure many people would like to kick you in the nuts for various reasons, but not for getting a mansion and 7 ferraris. Like has been suggested, if it's your money then you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

I know if I were rich... I'd have glass bottled coke (coca-cola) delivered straight to my home and I'd have a fridge dedicated to just holding all the bottles of coke.... man that'd be so sweet... XD

If you had to splurge on something, get a large heated pool, with a retractable roof. Babes flock to them as opposed to mock Enterprise bridges.. ;)

Word!

*Dream sequence starts... Red in a lounger around one of those James Bond bad guy pools in some exotic locale with all the babes!*

Not this babe. ;) Nerds ftw!

QFE! Besides, the retractable roof is not really something you'd want in wintertime here...

Nah! I'd buy an A380 to install those things...at least that would be closer to a spaceship and I'd get all the nerds I want. Also, the city wouldn't get me with real estate taxes (j/k)... (seriously now, I'd feel way too guilty to get that...that kind of money could be put to much better use...except the nerds... )

Let's be totally honest here, if you won the lottery would you give it all to charity? I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we would squander a huge amount of it on materialistic crap we don't need. We do it on a daily basis with normal pay checks, games, dvds etc etc. Anything that doesn't either help put a roof over your head, clothe you or feed you is money wasted on pure indulgence.

I actually donate to 5 different charities a month, BUT I also spend alot of money on pure crap intended to keep my primative brain entertained for just that little bit longer until the next pay goes into the bank.

Unless you give every single bit of spare money to charity, I don't think anyone has the right to judge what people do with their hard earned money, be it actor or not. We live in a highly developed western world where the food is fast and so is the entertainment, it's just how it is, so if Mr. Nerd wants to spend his money doing up his house as the set of Voyager, how is that exactly different from spending it on the latest bit of designer furniture?

As much as I hate to quote from the bible, I think it's appropriate to say "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone". :)

~picks up a stone~

Now actually casting this might be that act you describe. Irony? As yet I would not throw away a clean record so easily.

This would be the passage's intented allegory.

One should of course, act as their conscience dictates.

It's alright, it's probably how it should sound. Experience is a fairly mundane thing no matter the age of its source.

Here's what one should read. If you've say, a hundred-thousand dollars and you want to spend it on fairy floss, a huge bed of the stuff so you can roll around in it. No problem. If you've thought about it and there isn't a problem you can sense you don't have anything to fear from consequence and be assured in any case you certainly don't have anything to fear from those such as myself.

You might get a niggle about it and if that bites, then maybe you really do have a problem with doing that. But you see that's perhaps how democracy is supposed to work. You decide what's right and wrong...but don't forget sometimes we spite ourselves, sometimes we rely upon our friends to bring us back true.

The idea of Enlightenment was...that we wanted to look out for each other.

Archived