Home

Will you buy and play TOR if you have to pay for it like Galaxies?

GwannaSauna

Will you buy and play TOR is you have to pay for it like Galaxies?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy and play TOR is you have to pay for it like Galaxies?

Been said but bears repeating. Yes, yes, and yes. Guild wars lacks the quality of monthly. Service payed for MMO's why because they make less money on the sales. MMO's relying on advertising to pay for them also struggle because advertisers aren't able to make enough off of there adds to cover upkeep. Also ads take up bandwidth increasing latency and reducing the precious FPS. This leaves pay to play it is the most reliable source of steady income to provide for constant updates to hardware and maintenance. Oh and for the numerous masses that don't understand or know just the monthly overhead alone on a server farm from power totals in the 5-6 digit marker the more servers the higher that cost, this does not even cover the fact that most data centers employ anywhere from 5-20 network personal depending on size, each of the individuals has an average income of

$75k a year. Programming staff full time probably about 10-20 each with $50-75k a year salaries. If TOR haas a rough 1/4 the number of players that WOW has for it's first year then bioware will likely be breaking even if not still running red. After the first year is when these companies start reporting profits oh and profit is what keeps them in business because the shareholders who hold stock shares pull out if companies do not show a profit. So unless you have justification behind why you don't want to see your favorite video game companies stick around you should expect they will charge a monthly fee so that they may ultimately benefit you the consumer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends. If The piece of lowlife poodoo like $0ny $0E is having anything to do with it then OVER BY COLD DEAD BODY. $0ny fluxed up the last star wars MMO as we know it.
Don't think you'll have to worry about that, between LucasArts and BioWare (EA) co-publishing and Activision probably distributing in the UK (at least they have for past LucasArts games), there are enough companies involved in this already. :p

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problems paying a monthly fee for a game that is fun.

Even if it ends up being terrible... Server problems, Lack of End-Game Content, Grind fest, etc. I'm sure I would have put enough time into it to warrant the $50 purchase.

Most games usually last me a weekend to finish. I'm sure TOR will at least keep me occupied over one weekend.

Archived