Home

X-Wing Re-Release

Darkstar525

• 7 months later...

It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be any interest from Lucasarts for this. It was a very popular game series that was both critically and commercially acclaimed. With the Prequel Trilogy now done, you'd think that there would be so many new missions and battles that this game could encompass. Even some sort of MMORPG style X-Wing Flight Sim to encompass this would be better than nothing.

I'm an original trilogy type person, so I'd prefer they keep to that material.

I'd really like a new X-wing game with the following features

-starts right before the battle of Fresia (when the Alliance obtained the X-wing prototypes)

-You don't do things that are not canon, like going on the trench run (but maybe you can be involved in the Battle of Yavin some other way)

-the 3d cockpit shows your hands, and when you do things you manually flip switches in there.

-All of the displays except the crosshairs should be built into the ship, as opposed to having a graphical overlay like in XWA.

-nonlinear story- story would be dependent upon events in the game

-pilot's lounge where you play sabbacc and build relationships with your fellow pilots. You can buy other pilots drinks and they could buy you drinks after missions.

-you also could interact with your tech crew

-at the beginning of the game you can choose a squadron to join. Later you can be reassigned or be granted reassignment for multiple reasons. If you receive high enough rank, you can become a squadron commander and change mission plans before the mission. Basically, there'd be parallel tours of duty.

-if you lose a mission you don't get to redo it. If the ship of injured gets destroyed, the Alliance simply has to bear the consequences.

-game critical objectives wouldn't be failed if you fail to achieve them in a mission. If you can't get the X-Wing prototypes at Fresia, a new mission is planned, or another opportunity comes up a few missions later.

-there'd be a last chance mission on such objectives that could be redone if failed. For example, you fail the battle of Fresia, a mission would be available down the line to intercept the X-Wings on a freighter being taken to Carida for a demonstration. If you fail that, then you get to intercept them on the demonstration right under Vader's nose. If you fail that, you get to redo it.

-you would also be able to redo a mission if a game critical character (Mothma, Ackbar, etc.) gets killed.

-other squadron's mission results would be simmed simultaneously, and the results would affect your story as well

-finite supplies and personnel. Sometimes you have to go on a mission undermanned and under equipped.

I'm an original trilogy type person, so I'd prefer they keep to that material.

Agreed.

-starts right before the battle of Fresia (when the Alliance obtained the X-wing prototypes)

Maybe. I'm not sure we need a new take on the events of the trilogy. Though I'd be fine with that, it might also be interesting to pick up where X-Wing Alliance left off, after the Battle of Endor. Either way.

-You don't do things that are not canon, like going on the trench run (but maybe you can be involved in the Battle of Yavin some other way)

If we are going to be re-telling the trilogy, I think I'd want the major elements included, including the trench run and all that. X-Wing explained this by saying it was really Luke you were flying as turing the trench run. As long as they have some explanation for it, it would be OK. Although this might be another reason to do a post-Endor game - you wouldn't have to fudge any of this stuff.

-the 3d cockpit shows your hands, and when you do things you manually flip switches in there.

Could be cool, like Wing Commander. But it would have to not interfere with visibility or gameplay. The cockpits in X-Wing Alliance were terrible, especially the Y-Wing - you couldn't see a dang thing.

-All of the displays except the crosshairs should be built into the ship, as opposed to having a graphical overlay like in XWA.

This would take careful design, but if it could be pulled off, I agree - it would really help the immersion.

-nonlinear story- story would be dependent upon events in the game

Again, similar to Wing Commander. And while it did increase replay value considerably, I feel the overal experience suffered for it. I think this would be too hard, and it's not really needed.

-pilot's lounge where you play sabbacc and build relationships with your fellow pilots. You can buy other pilots drinks and they could buy you drinks after missions.

-you also could interact with your tech crew

Agreed, this is what was really missing from X-Wing - there were no characters. Wing Commander really had you get to know your wingmates. They could die, in later games you could effect their moral, etc.

-at the beginning of the game you can choose a squadron to join. Later you can be reassigned or be granted reassignment for multiple reasons. If you receive high enough rank, you can become a squadron commander and change mission plans before the mission. Basically, there'd be parallel tours of duty.

I don't know that things need to go that far, but working your way up in rank and your place in the squadron being effected could be very good (whether you're giving the orders or taking them).

-if you lose a mission you don't get to redo it. If the ship of injured gets destroyed, the Alliance simply has to bear the consequences.

-game critical objectives wouldn't be failed if you fail to achieve them in a mission. If you can't get the X-Wing prototypes at Fresia, a new mission is planned, or another opportunity comes up a few missions later.

-there'd be a last chance mission on such objectives that could be redone if failed. For example, you fail the battle of Fresia, a mission would be available down the line to intercept the X-Wings on a freighter being taken to Carida for a demonstration. If you fail that, then you get to intercept them on the demonstration right under Vader's nose. If you fail that, you get to redo it.

-you would also be able to redo a mission if a game critical character (Mothma, Ackbar, etc.) gets killed.

-other squadron's mission results would be simmed simultaneously, and the results would affect your story as well

-finite supplies and personnel. Sometimes you have to go on a mission undermanned and under equipped.

I think this is again too complicated and not really needed for a good game. Things like this tend to badly affect the balance of the game, because it can't be completely tested or even predicted by the game designers.

• 1 month later...

Work is underway to update X Wing to modern graphics, or at least more modern than the Collectors version, two projects actually, in addition to the Redux project which was finished a while ago but is in spanish. One or both of these projects should hopefully be done and available soon. Both will require players to own the orignal authentic disks. :)

we do what we can, LucasArts may indeed to one or more of the oldies for Steam, that would be great. Just dont know.

• 2 weeks later...

if they did that hopefully they would also upgrade the ship models which would stand out with more modern graphics. That upgrade is available to us once we get upgraded verions finished by the community efforts due to the amazing ships that have been created by the community and which are available in one pack over at the XWAU site.

More fine ships continue to be made including some great Imperial Capital ships and even Clone war Ships.

if they did that hopefully they would also upgrade the ship models which would stand out with more modern graphics. That upgrade is available to us once we get upgraded verions finished by the community efforts due to the amazing ships that have been created by the community and which are available in one pack over at the XWAU site.

More fine ships continue to be made including some great Imperial Capital ships and even Clone war Ships.

But these upgrades are for the old games? Where to find those upgrades? Are those for Xwing and Tie Fighter games?

sorry for delay

Yes conversions exist for both X Wing Collectors CD version and TIE Collectors CD Versiion, there are no updated exact versions of the original DOS games with the original music and old style graphcis. You can play them very easily with DOSBOX and I will be happy to send instructions. All these conversions require THAT YOU OWN AND POSSES THE ORIGINAL AUTHENTIC LUCASARTS GAME DISKS. They will NOT install or run without them. You will also need X Wing Alliance the authentic disk to install the update of TIE. No exceptions. No pirated copies will work.

for X Wing you can go here: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ and look for the threads in the LucasArts Games Section on X Wing Redux in English....there are two projects and one will be released very soon allowing you to play X Wing with updated graphics and ship models from the community. Or you can go to http://es.geocities.com/xwingredux/ and usiing the english version find the files to play X Wing Redux which is in spanish but updated tho it lacks some of the briefings and other goodies from the game.

For TIE Fighter, updated you can go here: http://linx310.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=generaldiscussionabouttftc&action=display&thread=172 and follow the links for the download and patches....i have put a pack of all the needed patches for it, including the font patch, the game patch 2.02 version and info on my archive site here: http://www.filefront.com/14532943/TFTC-Patches.rar/

there are two ways to play TIE updated: this is the first, Tie Fighter Total Conversion but it lacks Battles 8-17. Here is the READ ME from the site for the project:

Tie Fighter Total Conversion released...

« Thread Started on Nov 2, 2005, 11:48pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever since X-Wing Alliance was released Tie Fighter fans have dreamed of playing the game with the X-Wing Alliance engine.

Well now that dream has come true. After years of hearsay and failure, a group of talented individuals took on a dead project and gave it a kick in the arse in the hopes of re-energizing the community.

After a year of work piecing together half done conversions and solving a few shows stopping engine limitations it is now ready for release.

Snippet from read me:

The TFTC project is an attempt to convert one of LucasArts best games of all time to the more modern X-Wing: Alliance game engine. This conversion uses a mixture of original TIE Fighter content and some items specifically designed for the conversion.

The conversion is unique in that it requires the user to have copies of the original TIE Fighter Collectors Edition (TIECD) CDROM or X-Wing Collectors Series Disk 2 (TIE95) CDROM (sorry but the floppy disk version is not supported) and X-Wing: Alliance Disk 1 and Disk 2 to install the conversion. This was done to prove that the user owns an original copy of TIE Fighter and X-Wing: Alliance. Without either of these disks the conversion will not install.

Conversion Features:

A. Battles 1-7 from the original TIE Fighter game (battles 8-13 expansion planned).

B. New TIE Fighter models with thingypits.

C. All Introduction and Battle Cutscenes.

D. All in-flight and briefing voices (converted from the users TIE Fighter CDROM).

E. Concourse/Imperial Quarters Interface.

F. Imperial Star destroyer hanger and items.

G. Custom “extended” version of the intro Cutscenes.

H. Custom award ceremonies.

I. Custom/Converted concourse music from TIE Fighter.

J. Custom battle CBMs and Icons.

K. Custom Email messages following the chronicles of Stele Maarek (runs parallel with Stele chronicles and Prima’s Strategy Guide).

L. Custom game launcher (you must use the launcher to play).

To install and play the Total Conversion you must have the following:

1. X-wing Alliance with both CD-ROMS

2. TIE Fighter Collectors Edition (TIECD) CDROM or X-Wing Collectors Series Disk 2 (TIE95) CDROM

Well felt that it is only fair to Lucasarts that you must own these games. The Total Conversion also needs these discs to convert voice files.

To install (you must follow these steps or it may not work):

1. Download TFTC

Tie Fighter Total Conversion V1.0 (112mb)

2. Download XWA upgrade Assault Gunboat (a small bug in the TFTC V1 release caused the S-Foil problem fix to miss the final build. This will be fixed soon, but since we didn’t want to miss the launch date this is a quick fix)

XWA upgrade download page

3. Install a clean copy XWA complete install.

4. Play XWA and set up your graphics and sound settings. (this must be done before you run TFTC)

Known bugs:

1. S-Foil patch not in TFTC V1 build, fixed by downloading the XWA upgrade gunboat.

2. Music lockup bug. This is not our fault, this bug existed with XWA from the get go.

3. Combat Chamber lock up. (You must first enter a battle mission before using the combat chamber, this only has to be done once)

Have Fun

The TFTC team

Ol, Darksaber, Bman, Linx310

You CAN play Missions 8-13 with all briefings and the training historical misssions with a conversion done by another team, and found here:

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ and go to the LucasArts Games section of the forum and look for this thread:

Waylon's TIE Fighter Total Conversion Expansion is available

that is a seperate project to update TIE. There will be hopefully a way to play all the missions converted soon. Enjoy.

Archived