Home

Someone from the UK, please help...

MJ

Hey. as long as they cover them up, it's fine. :p

We're angry because it's unnecessary and unwanted. Another Hitchhiker's Guide isn't "just another adventure" like James Bond, Conan etc. Adams was absolutely one of a kind and prepping this as a continuation of the series really irks me.

Now, if it was a spin-off, prequel, side-story or whatever, I honestly would have no problem with it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I see your point.

Maybe it's partly the fault of marketing? They think they'll sell more copies if they emphasise this as a the real end of the series, or something. I'm sure it won't read like a proper ending... its in the nature of the series to be always in development, always expanding. It's part six of three.

I don't like all the Colfer-hate, because he really is a brilliant and hilarious writer... and if Douglas Adam's widow said to you, "want to write a new Hitchiker's book?" would you say no?

Also, it's interesting how you say that this book is "unnecessary and unwanted" by the fans. I mean interesting in a genuine way. It reminds me of the anger of some fans when J.K. announced that Dumbledore was gay. A lot of them thought she was plum wrong. The question is, who owns the story? Who defines meaning? Is it the author, the reader, or the text itself? I personally think of texts having a life of their own, which is another reason why I'm not angry about this new book. It's like the series wants to be told some more, and its having to make with a new storyteller in order to do that.

I'd argue that it's not a series that needs to do that, and that's the problem/brilliant thing about novels - they're not (usually) "licences" for companies to own and exploit. It's only when they get sold on to make movies and things that they become money-trees.

We're also not sure about the mechanics of this deal - did Penguin approach DA's widow (whose name I can't remember) with the possibility of making another book, or did she think of it and suggest Colfer? Did she suggest Colfer, or does her involvement equal her saying "ooh, he's a good choice" and nothing else? Some scenarios there are better than others.

I am against the Colfer-haters, though. At no point of this debacle is his writing at fault.

If Douglas Adam's widow said to you, "want to write a new Hitchiker's book?" would you say no?

I have been thinking about this, and from the position I'm in now (struggling writer but one with absolutely zero chance of getting this offer) I wouldn't, because the fans don't really want it and I don't think I could do his legacy justice in this regard.

On the other hand, if the offer did genuinely land in my lap, would I say say no? Theoretically I'd like to say that I'd still say no, but in practice if it really happened... it depends if my desire to become a famous writer managed to overpower my morals.

However, what I wouldn't say no to is that third Dirk Gently series, or even finishing The Salmon of Doubt as a novel. There's enough of a start there to make an interesting challenge. I'd compare that one to being a substitute teacher - the kids have been taught a lot and the lesson plan's available, it'd just be my job to make the little buggers sit down and do the work.

Yeah, like I said, I never read any Colfer, and I'm sure he can think of some decent jokes for the book, but that's not really what the problem is here. It's the fact that the series will be 'completed' by someone else, while it's such a personal series that could never have been written by anyone else in the first place. We'll see. I'm not sure yet, but I guess curiosity will get the better of me and I will check it out.

Maybe all this renewed interest in Douglas Adams will make Dirk Maggs come to his senses and finish what he started. That would be nice.

The thing I'm actually most dubious of in this is Colfer, to be honest. A friend tried to get me to read Artemis Fowl, and I couldn't get more than half way through the first book before putting it down*. I have a surprising number of friends who have said he's a good YA author, though.

*(or if I did I don't remember any of it)

• 3 weeks later...

They're dragging their feet releasing the last part of 'Last Chance to See', eh?

Having said that, I'm only just finishing off the last part of 'Beneath Monkey Island', so I can hardly hold that against them...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of you that are interested: Kim Fuller is going to adapt the last series of Dirk Maggs' Dirk Gently radio series. I have no idea who the guy is (I'll try to forget Spice World, for his sake), but I guess it's nice that the last series is going to be made, at least. It's still based on the last couple of word docs left on Douglas' pc after he died, so that alone will make it worth listening, I guess.

Source: http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/24312/douglas-adams-final-dirk-gently-novel-to-be

Oh god, no. Why did they start that press release with the words 'Spice World writer'? That's NOT a good thing! I'm moaning about Eoin Colfer doing the new Hitchhiker's book and he's a really good writer - congratulations Colfer, you are now off the hook. If the best thing they could come up on his CV was one of the worst major movies of all time, well then, I don't have much confidence.

EDIT: Looking him up, apparently he's written for Red Dwarf. He wrote what is probably the best episode of Series VII, Blue (the one with the singing Rimmer munchkins). I might let him off for Spice World, as a struggling writer he probably hoped it would get him a bit of recognition.

Struggling? He'd written a lot of stuff before Spice World. And after it, he did all that S Club 7 crap. As IMDb puts it:

Two of the films he's written, Spice World (1997) and From Justin to Kelly (2003), have gone on to receive nominations at the Razzie Awards for Worst Picture, Worst Actress, Worst Screnplay (For Fuller himself) and Worst Screen Couple, (among others). Also, both films were nominated at the 25th Annual Razzie Awards for "Worst 'Musical' of Our First 25 Years".

Sounds like it'll be quality!

Yeah, I share your concern, but I'm trying to remain positive. Spice World is a really long time ago, after all. His history isn't too promising, but yeah, we'll see. I think there's a fairly big chance the original cast will remain intact, which should count for something. I dunno, this doesn't annoy me as much as the Colfer-book. I'm still hoping Maggs will pop up as some sort of advisor, but I don't think that's very likely to happen. Oh well.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello and greetings to everyone,

I'm new to this forum, I fell upon this post after days of searching the Last Chance to See radio show, which is very hard to find if you're not in the UK. I would gladly spend 500 Latvian dollars on this, but it is simply nowhere to be found.

I am very glad that I could find 6 out of 7 episodes here. I was just wondering if anyone, by any chance, still had the Komodo Dragon episode (The Tingler posted a Mediafire link two years ago but it no longer works). I know I'm a newcomer and of course I'm not requesting anything. I was just hoping someone still had this and could possibly lead me to it. I would be very grateful about this, I fell in love with that book, just like everything Douglas Adams wrote.

Thanks in advance,

A fellow Douglas Adams (and 90s Lucas Arts adventure games, by the way) fan

Archived