Home

Star War's Future Without George Lucas

Yar-El

Star War's Future Without George Lucas

Lets speculate. Star Trek's original creator passed away, and the franchise had continued to grow. What will happen to the Star Wars franchise when George becomes too old to keep going? He is currently a healthy 64, but I'm sure he is looking for retirement.

It will languish for several years, supported by the columns of media such as comic books, novels, games, TV series, all adapted by various different artists and studios, none retaining the legacy of Lucas. They will attempt to emulate him, to imitate him and they will fail, experimenting, always experimenting, suiting the current tastes of the public, bringing forth the galaxy we know so well and presenting it as the new generation would like it.

Eventually, Star Wars will become a hallmark of an era gone by, a phenomenon and an icon that will be echoed for generations in art and culture. And then an enterprising young director, an avid fan of this long-gone era will develop a visionary plan to resurrect the franchise, and he will be successful.

And Star Wars will be remade, in either film or whatever new entertainment medium has gained commercial popularity: updated, fresh, technologically superior and echoing the ways of the people of that generation. There will be renewed interest in this ancient film that was Star Wars, and crowds will gather around video rental stores, peer-to-peer networks and antique dealers to see for themselves what this ancient franchise really was.

And many will complain, they will complain about how the new franchise cannot compare to the old, that new technology and graphics are meaningless in the face of true art, of true beauty: they will imagine the rapture we feel today as we gaze the first Star Destroyer passing across our screens, firing away at the poor Rebel ship.

And they will be Star Wars enthusiasts, who will proclaim Lucas a hero, a martyr, modelling his persona around Tolkien: a visionary, a man of cinema, a genius in geofiction. And there will be a whole new slew of merchandise to go with the new franchise, and the process will be repeated, rehashed, repeated ad infinitum.

I suppose it depends if Lucas appoints a sort of 'second in command'.

I might be wrong (a while since I paid too much attention to Star Trek), but didn't Rick Berman sort of take over from Roddenberry? Maybe something similar will happen with Star Wars.

I suppose it depends if Lucas appoints a sort of 'second in command'.

I might be wrong (a while since I paid too much attention to Star Trek), but didn't Rick Berman sort of take over from Roddenberry? Maybe something similar will happen with Star Wars.

You are correct, but Roddenberry's wife also took over some of the stuff. Though primarily it was Gene's protege Rick Berman that took over.

It could depend on who ends up being Lucas' second in command, but I for one don't want any remakes, due to the risk of screwing up the other movies.

Archived