Home

Gay Marriage

Rogue Nine

The definition of marriage has historically been a power reserved to the individual states, which is why every big gay rights movement has been on the state level. However, the federal government defines 'marriage' for its own statutes and laws.

The most pertinent piece of federal legislation is the Defense of Marriage Act, passed in 1996 which basically said the federal government will not recognize same-sex marriages even if they are legal in the state in which the couple was married. It is a terrible and disgusting piece of legislation and the homosexual community as a whole felt betrayed by Bill Clinton when he signed it into law. However, there is hope. President Barack Obama has made mention that he would like to repeal DOMA, which would be awesome in so many ways. I hope he can pull it off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While I agree with the instinct to be cautious, I still think this is encouraging. I think this is a clear sign that the zeitgeist is changing. It might take another generation to get where it needs to be, but it at least seems as though we're headed in the right direction.

I'll celebrate if this lasts the year.

Until then, it is just a court act that can easily be voted off.

That's not the impression I got. This was a unanimous decision by the Iowa Supreme Court. The only thing that can overcome that is an amendment to the Iowa state constitution and from what I've read that doesn't seem likely.

While I agree with the instinct to be cautious, I still think this is encouraging. I think this is a clear sign that the zeitgeist is changing. It might take another generation to get where it needs to be, but it at least seems as though we're headed in the right direction.
Encouraging for those who support gay marriage yes, discouraging for those of us that don't. I tend to agree that the pro-gay marriage movement does seem to be gaining more momentum in the United States and with a victory like this in the American heartland, as opposed to the northeast U.S. or California, the victory seems even more significant. As this issue is currently being sidestepped by the U.S. federal government and left to individual states to address I'm wondering if this issue will be big enough to cause people to move to states that espouse their particular stance on gay marriage.

I'm wondering if this issue will be big enough to cause people to move to states that espouse their particular stance on gay marriage.
That's an interesting question. More so if one considers the possibility that someday same-sex marriages might be recognized in all 50 states. I wonder if we could look to inter-racial marriage as some sort of benchmark.

I'm for marriage being between one man and one woman.

Call it something else for same-sex couples.

Perhaps all "marriages" should be civil unions with minimal government intervention.

There is no baptism certificate issued by the local courthouse and no federal tax benefit attached to the confessional booth, the into-the-water-and-out born-again ceremony or any of the other sacraments that believers hold sacred. Only marriage gets that treatment, and it's a tradition that some legal scholars have been arguing should be abandoned. In a paper published March 2 in the San Francisco Chronicle, two law professors from Pepperdine University issued a call to re-examine the role the government plays in marriage. The authors — one of whom voted for and one against Proposition 8, which ended gay marriage in California — say the best way out of the intractable legal wars over gay marriage is to take marriage out of the hands of the government altogether. "

I honestly believe that could solve a lot of these problems. If the government just recognizes civil unions between two consenting adults, there would be no religious uproar and couples could still Marry traditionally in a church, synagogue, temple, mosque, under sea cave, etc. and be married in the eyes of their religion but have a civil union for tax reasons.

Everyone wins, right?

source:http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1885190,00.html

That's not the impression I got. This was a unanimous decision by the Iowa Supreme Court. The only thing that can overcome that is an amendment to the Iowa state constitution and from what I've read that doesn't seem likely.

California supreme court voted the ban off and 6 months later the population voted the ban to be part of the California constitution. I went from proud and honored to be in California to outright disgusted to be apart of this country within 6 months.

I wont celebrate until I'm sure it will stick. Until then, it is just an opportunity for the general populous to screw us over again.

And yeah, I know its cynical. Its a great step in the right direction, but we've been taking steps and having to jump back for awhile now over this issue.

Perhaps all "marriages" should be civil unions with minimal government intervention.

Agreed. If the word Marriage has that much of a meaning, the government should drop the word entirely from legal documents to even the playing field.

I wont celebrate until I'm sure it will stick.
Of course. I just glad to see that some people are continuing to chip away at the issue. Progress is progress.

Agreed. If the word Marriage has that much of a meaning, the government should drop the word entirely from legal documents to even the playing field.
RoxStar knocked this one out of the ball park.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember, when I was in Arizona, when my mother forced me to go to church (like she does every sunday) and they played a video of a bishop arguing aginst the new law leagalizing gay marrage. He was urging as many catholics to sighn a petition to block gay marrage. He ironicly argued that the court ruled aginst "the will of the people" and "forced the gay's beliefs on the rest of society" so to speak. I wish i could remember what he said better.

Whoever believes the gays are "forcing their beliefs on the rest of society" got it completely backwards, if you know what i mean.

I consider this a step (In Iowa) towards of better, freer society.

For the mean time, states surrounding Iowa have to follow the Full Faith and Credit Clause.

My home state, Nebraska, currently has anti-discrimination laws in place, so I think that the ban will be uplifted here sometime in the next few years.

What? A Republican who supports gay marriage?! Looks like some members of the GOP have the right idea when it comes to this issue. He's a minority in the party, but overall it's very encouraging and a step in the right direction.

And it's about damn time, New York. I will never be prouder of my home state if this passes and I will never be more disgusted with my home state if it doesn't.

What? A Republican who supports gay marriage?! Looks like some members of the GOP have the right idea when it comes to this issue. He's a minority in the party, but overall it's very encouraging and a step in the right direction.

And it's about damn time, New York. I will never be prouder of my home state if this passes and I will never be more disgusted with my home state if it doesn't.

McCain is republican doesn't equal McCain is conservative. This is hardly surprising. All the more so given his daughters public support of the idea.

Archived