Home

Gay Marriage

Rogue Nine

I actually cringed a little when I heard the basis of the ruling: the people should be able to amend their state's constitution at the ballot box. Okay, then what's the purpose of judicial review then?

Hopefully this will be overturned by a higher court.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just so you understand(without dragging this too far off topic) I think of homosexuality in the same sense as a mutation.
Let's list some other mutations, shall we?

• Icelanders' immunity to winter depression.
  • Europeans' lack of skin pigmentation.
  • The immunity to HIV/AIDS in .1% of all Europeans
  • The slanted eyes of Asians.
  • The difference in average height between Swedes and the Chinese.

A 'mutation' is a change in the DNA structure of an organism. This happens with every single new generation, and without it we'd never have evolved into humans. Surely you don't also view the above listed characteristics as negative, too? All of them are caused by mutations.

While it occurs regularly, it is abnormal.
Abnormal in which way? 'Abnormal' means 'not part of the norm'. Homosexuality is present in over 400 animal species and can't be called abnormal any more than left-handedness.

See also this ;) .

Hence the abomination. BUT as with other mutations that occur, it is not your choice. There is no cure. There is no point in trying to "convert" you. In essence it is in my eyes no different than Cerebal Palsy. You're just wired different.
Cerebral palsy is abominable? Why? Does it offend God? Surely you jest.

And the acts, quite frankly, are what I find disgusting. But then as a smoker(though trying to quit) I can't hate someone for doing what I find disgusting. I eat Sushi. Many people find that disgusting. There are a thousand things I may do that others find disgusting.

So... to sum up:

Icky is not a good reason to discriminate.

Abnormal is not a reason to discriminate.

Just because I don't like something is no good reason to treat that person any differently.

Good man.

Cerebral palsy is abominable? Why? Does it offend God? Surely you jest.

The disease is abominable. What it does to the person. I absolutely despise it. I do not hate the person that has it. Quite the opposite, I respect them for living with the disease.

Homosexuality is abnormal in that it runs counter to the continuation of the human race.

That's as far as I intend to go on this subject in this thread. If further input is required, please feel free to send me a PM.

While it occurs regularly, it is abnormal.

You know what else is abnormal? Michael Phelps' height, wingspan, foot size, and body type.

Doesn't mean I think he's against God because he got born with a swimmer's dream body. :)

(not insinuating that you don't understand this, in fact I think you do, I was just clarifying for the record)

_EW_

• 3 weeks later...

..and so, the battle for freedom continues. My mom makes me go to church every Sunday, and the Catholic Church priests have yet to give an actual reason for opposing gay marriage. tehy are spending millions of dollars to oppress people's rights when the money will be better spent on the poor. Sad.

..and so, the battle for freedom continues. My mom makes me go to church every Sunday, and the Catholic Church priests have yet to give an actual reason for opposing gay marriage. tehy are spending millions of dollars to oppress people's rights when the money will be better spent on the poor. Sad.

In other words one can't make a decision based on religious reasons...

I see.

The problem there, Kurgan, is then deciding which religious reasons take precedence. Position A regarding Topic X might be a no-brainer for "this group", but might be absurd for "this other group".

Now that I've pointed this out, how do you suggest we get around this? If you think sitting down with facts and objectively arguing viewpoints is the answer, then you probably agree with the point Kipper was trying to make. If you think a nose-count is the best answer, then you've done nothing more than agree to let the most popular/sizable group make all the decisions for everyone else. I won't presume to speak for you, but I'm certainly not okay with that.

I look forward to reading your response.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, this article reminds me of that line from Milk where he points out during the debate that he was raised by heterosexual parents and taught by heterosexual teachers. So much for the argument that being raised around gay people will make you gay.

I also thought it was awesome when Jon Stewart asked Mike Huckabee how old he was when he decided not to be gay. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived