Home

Great Podcasts

leXX

I wanted to make a thread where we can recommend our favourite podcasts, and also discuss the latest episodes of them. If you've never tried the whole podcast thing, I highly recommend it. There are some really great shows out there, and you only need iTunes to enjoy them.

The 1UP Show

This is how game review shows should be. The 1UP team review 3 games per show and they do it in a great way, just sitting around chatting about their experiences with the game. There are plenty of gameplay clips and they explore every aspect. In between the reviews they have funny little comedy sketches that really make you laugh out loud at some of them. Just a great show that I look forward to watching.

Hubblecast HD

If you are into astronomy, then this is a must watch. The production value on this podcast is second to none. You get the latest info on new discoveries and images that Hubble has taken, and it uses a mixture of CGI graphics and high res pictures to explain everything in a really easy to understand way, without being condescending. The presenter Dr. J is really cool too. Love this show.

Best of YouTube

Self explanitory really. Shows you a funny or interesting You Tube video that you may have missed. I watched loads that I would never had seen if I didn't get this podcast.

Those are my top 3 favourites. What are your favourites and why?

I've never really listened to podcasts. Every time I try I tend to zone out and have to rewind a bunch of times to catch what they said. I'll have to check out the Hubble one though, sounds interesting..

I think it's a popular misconception that podcasts are just people talking. There are loads of great video ones. The only talk one I listen to is Stephen Fry's.

All the podcasts I subscribe to are "talkies".

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe

A panel of Skeptics (including doctors and scientists) discuss current events, interesting news items, etc. The show typically features an interview segment and a game called Science or Fiction where the host shares three science-related stories and the panel tries to deduce which one is fictitious. The show usually runs more than an hour and there is adult language.

The SGU 5x5

This is a companion podcast to The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. The show is only 5 minutes long and the panel of 5 Skeptics offers a brief overview of one specific topic (links to the shows on the scientific method and Occam's Razor are in my blog). This show was intended to be something of a conversation starter for science teachers so they toned down the banter and cleaned up the language. My son is more addicted to this podcast than I am :)

AstronomyCast

The publisher of Universe Today and a doctor of astronomy discuss really cool stuff about our universe. Topics include how the moon was formed, relativity, intro to astronomy for amateurs, etc.. The show usually runs about 30 minutes.

Point of Inquiry

A strictly interview show. Guests and topics are all related to Skepticism, however the producers do make some effort to get a spectrum of perspectives. One week, they might have a complete crack-pot on the show. The next week a prominent scientist and author. The host does admirable job of keeping things fairly unbiased and treating all the guests respectfully. This show also runs about 30 minutes.

These are the shows that I subscribe to and listen to every week. Here are some others that I also subscribe to but listen to not as consistently:

The Diane Rehm Show: Friday News Roundup

NPR: Driveway Moments

NPR: Religion

NPR: Science Friday

NPR: Talk of the Nation

NPR: This I Believe

NPR: Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!

A State of Trance

CheapAssGamer's CAGcast Starring CheapyD and Wombat.

An entertaining and very laid-back podcast with the deep voiced CheapyD hailing as a New York Jew in Tokyo and the lovable sidekick Wombat. Chemistry is pretty great between the two and their personal lives often leak into the show, which can sometimes be sort of creepy or just plain hilarious.

GiantBomb's BombCast Starring Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinnie

I've just started to listen to them two or three weeks ago and I'm surprised how hilarious this show is. They always sound like they're hiked up on caffeine and they're full of energy. Nothing funnier than when they start making voices. It's great because they're all very funny individually and when they start cracking jokes... damn.

Skeptic's Guide to the Universe and the SGU 5x5 are can't miss for me. Point of Inquiry I listen to nearly every one as well.

Others I listen to are This Week In Tech, The Non-Prophets, Cranky Geeks, This Week in Science, Reasonable Doubts, and Security Now -among a few others.

SkinWalker? In the Swamp? :o

I've never really listened to podcasts. Every time I try I tend to zone out and have to rewind a bunch of times to catch what they said. I'll have to check out the Hubble one though, sounds interesting..

The trick is to listen while you're doing something else passively, like walking somewhere, taking the bus, driving, cleaning, etc..

I listen to these:

CheapAssGamer's CAGcast Starring CheapyD and Wombat.

An entertaining and very laid-back podcast with the deep voiced CheapyD hailing as a New York Jew in Tokyo and the lovable sidekick Wombat. Chemistry is pretty great between the two and their personal lives often leak into the show, which can sometimes be sort of creepy or just plain hilarious.

GiantBomb's BombCast Starring Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinnie

I've just started to listen to them two or three weeks ago and I'm surprised how hilarious this show is. They always sound like they're hiked up on caffeine and they're full of energy. Nothing funnier than when they start making voices. It's great because they're all very funny individually and when they start cracking jokes... damn.

Also Gamers With Jobs, a great podcast featuring in-depth game discussions;

1UP Yours, 1UPs audio podcast about the latest game news;

The /Filmcast, about the latest movie news, and one review pr. show, + selected interviews;

and some game specific ones from Dead Workers Party Network. ^^

Video podcasts I watch are Diggnation, a great podcast discussing selected stories from Digg, which sounds boring, but they are very charismatic and dynamic. They're also usually drunk. ^^ (Features Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht, for fans of Tech TV)

I also watch The Totally Rad Show, Another great show that has reviews of games, movies, comic books, TV shows, etc. Definitely worth a watch. ^^

Actually, just check out Revision 3, they have a bunch of great shows, with proper quality and good hosts, you should be able to find something that interests you. =)

Nothing funnier than when they start making voices. It's great because they're all very funny individually and when they start cracking jokes... damn.

AW, COME ON!

Video podcasts I watch are Diggnation, a great podcast discussing selected stories from Digg, which sounds boring, but they are very charismatic and dynamic. They're also usually drunk. ^^ (Features Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht, for fans of Tech TV)

The 'always drunk' thing is getting really old now. I used to enjoy Diggnation, but I recently unsubscribed from it. Was okay the first few times, but now it's obvious they are only doing it to make themselves try and look 'cooler'. Sad.

Couple more I want to recommend:

The Guild (Video)

Anyone into mmo's would probably have heard of this by now, but even if you're not, The Guild is a must watch for gamers. Follows the lives of a bunch of people in a guild who meet up in real life. Stars Felicia Day. Ten episodes.

Machinima.com (Video)

I am new to Podcasts. There is one on GameSpot called The HotSpot which is just nerds being nerds talking about all the latest, greatest and worst of gaming. Problem with it is that it is damn near two hours long, and I NEVER have time to listen to the whole thing.

http://www.gamespot.com/podcast/index.html?navclk=podcasts&tag=subnav;podcast

PENNY ARCADE PODCAST

20783_logo.jpg

http://feeds.penny-arcade.com/padlc

One of the funniest podcasts I've ever listened to. Seeing one of these get loaded onto my mp3 player automatically is like Christmas come early. The Penny Arcade guys are even funnier "in podcast" so to speak.

BUNGIE PODCAST

http://www.bungie.net/podcast/bungiepodcast.xml

Although extremely nerdy, these guys crack me up and obviously love what they do and are damn near masters of the art. Great listen.

bungielogo.jpg

The Penny Arcade podcast is one of the few podcasts that I listen to consistently.

I love it. They just have a very "real" characteristic about them. They don't try to be funny and they don't try to acknowledge the fact that they're famous world-wide. They just sound like two regular guys trying to write a comic strip.

I have a few mentioned above, but here are also some good'ons

- Best Ads on TV (self explanatory)

- The Feed (Tech-culture news program)

- GeekBrief.TV (quirky girl host, but surprisingly good and knowledgeable)

- Military Channel (again self explanatory, but very well put together for military buffs)

And last but not least, my favorite radio show and also host,

- The Adam Carolla Morning Show. He is very funny and loves to complain about things wrong in society, also very dark sense of humor which I also have. Again I'm biased because I love the guy but you should try him out at least once.

I'd have to agree with Troopr about the Adam Carolla Show. I started to listen to him when I had quite the commute to work in the morning's and must say it always made me laugh everyday and that's pretty good when you have a long commute in $hitty traffic.

:duel::lsduel:

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more...

The Beautiful Universe Chandra in HD

NASACast Video

Drum&BassArena Podcast

Radio 538: Tiesto's Club Life

A State of Trance Official Podcast (with Armin van Buuren)

National Geographic Wild Chronicles

X-Play's Daily Video Reviews

Drum&BassArena Podcast
D&B :(

Radio 538: Tiesto's Club Life
I just started listening to this one a few weeks ago. I prefer A State of Trance, but I'm going to give this one a chance to grow on me as I've been a Tiesto fan for years.

A State of Trance Official Podcast (with Armin van Buuren)
Looks familiar :xp:

My only complaint is that once AvB finds a song that he really likes, it's in every podcast for 2-3 weeks.

Archived