Home

Anybody played AVS yet?

mh2k8

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can read our review of the game here.

It will be interesting to see what other people have to say about A Vampyre Story. The general reaction seems to be pretty positive, though!

Thanks for the review. A really good read. Mixnmojo seems to have its own, complex relationship with every (important) game it reviews. ;)

My own review should be out soon. ("Soon" as "not today" and "probably not tommorow", but soon :D ).

I've never been able to understand why someone would pirate from a company as small as Autumn Moon.

Because Sony killed my DVD drive, so buying games is pointless because until publishers start publishing games on USB or SD card I can't install anything.

The irony is that Sony killed my DVD drive to prevent me from pirating, they fail.

It's very simple: if you don't want the product because of the DRM or whatever other reason ... don't buy it!

Just because it has DRM doesn't make you entitled to a free copy. Stop trying to justify yourself, what you did was wrong and you know it. Man up and buy a copy.

It's very simple: if you don't want the product because of the DRM or whatever other reason ... don't buy it!

Just because it has DRM doesn't make you entitled to a free copy. Stop trying to justify yourself, what you did was wrong and you know it. Man up and buy a copy.

It goes like this:

Bought EA-made/published games, each protected by SecuROM.

Installed a few Sims 2 Expansions.

DVD drive ceased to function.

Sony Support acuses me of Piracy, refuses to replace my CD drive

Replacement CD drive turns out to be impossible due to the way this PC is built

Bought new game, tried to install, failed, money back not given due to open packaging

Piracy of SecuROM-enabled games begins in protest of Sony because of their stupidity

New PC not possible because believe it or not you need money for this sort of thing, something I don't have a lot of and need for other things, such as food which I need to survive. Buying a new PC is not a priority.

I also, would never, ever purchase ANYTHING that is not guaranteed to be DRM-free. Because of this I'm against many things such as Steam, Direct2Drive, iTunes and a lot more. Think of it as vegetarianism or religion, people have thier own values and should be allowed uphold them.

And if it helps, I immediately removed AVS after discovering it didn't work, I would also not condone piracy because I'm not a fan of it. I only download games/software that:

A) I have bought but have uninstalled and cannot reinstall either because of damaged media or this Sony-killed DVD drive

B) Are no longer commercially avaliable

C) Have Open Source components (as I believe that something should not be part-Open Source)

D) Made by EA or "protected" with SecuROM or Starforce

E) Is totally and completely ridiculously licensed or poorly made and undeserving of my money

There, I made my point and decresed the popularity of MI2SP by 20 points.

And of course, scolding me for being a pirate is probably completely hypocritcial because I GUARANTEE you have downloaded music illegally. Think of those bands that have lost money because you downloaded their music.

[/offtopic]

OK this is the last I'll say on the matter:

First thing is I shouldn't have been so confrontation and I'm sorry (Believe it or not I actually toned down both posts).

Second nobody (I hope) will think any less of your project, that is totally separate from his debate.

Look, we share a lot of common ground. I'm a FOSS advocate myself and I'm also a fan of Larry Lessig and the CC movement. I agree that DRM sucks big hairy balls and have had to crack legitimately purchased games to get them to run on my chosen OS. I know where you're coming from and I do feel bad that your hardware got dicked over by Sony.

But the point I've been trying unsuccessfully to make is that none of that entitles you to abdicate responsibility for your actions. Your philosophy on software advocates freedom but only if it's your kind of freedom. If Bill Tiller wants to release his software as closed source why shouldn't he be able to? Why should you be able to disrespect his choice because it doesn't fit with your views?

For the record AVS (or at least the demo) uses Panda3d, which is open source, so you can buy with a clear conscience.

So ... we cool?

I also, would never, ever purchase ANYTHING that is not guaranteed to be DRM-free. Because of this I'm against many things such as Steam, Direct2Drive, iTunes and a lot more. Think of it as vegetarianism or religion, people have thier own values and should be allowed uphold them.
Sorry to bump in here, but I have to side with neon_git on this.

I imagine there are a lot of vegetarians who refuse to buy meat, but they won't then sneak into a field, steal a cow, and kill and eat it themselves.

I'm sorry to hear of your dealings with Sony and EA, and yeah, DRM like that sucks, but you shouldn't be taking it out on a smaller company like Autumn Moon.

Point A) I think is fair enough, since you deserve to be able to use software you've paid for, but I disagree with the other points:

B) If a company stops trading in older software, that can be tough, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to do what you want with it. If I wrote a game, and for whatever reason I only made a few copies available, or didn't release it to the public at all, that wouldn't give you any right to it.

In this case, it also reduces the potential market for the software, and would lessen the chances of a successful re-release in future, meaning it's less likely to see a re-release at all.

C) If an open-source project allows linking to commercial or closed-source projects, that's their business. If Panda3D is seen as suitable for use in commercial software, then that's great. Buying the product is also a great way to show your support for both.

D) A better action here would be boycotting the product. Illegally downloading a game isn't going to make them less inclined to stop using DRM. If you want to make a point, hurt them in ways they can't defend against at all - don't buy it! Companies can't install measures to prevent people from not buying their games.

Think back to events like the Montgomery Bus Boycott - it lasted over a year, and the inconvenience and persecution was much more serious there, but they still managed to secure the victory they were after, and it turned out to be a significant milestone in the Civil Rights movement.

E) Even if product's undeserving of your money, but if you don't pay for it, then you don't deserve to use it. If it's poorly made, then that's just less of a reason to download a copy.

[/offtopic]

Anyway, I'd really like to see AVS succeed, and I hope we get to see bigger and better things coming from Mr Tiller in the years to come...

Unfortunately, my PC doesn't seem to be up to the task of running AVS. I'll try messing about with my graphics drivers, but I'm not hopeful...

Anyone knows if it needs pixel/vertex shader or anything like that? If so, I can safely give up now...

Amazon.com just delayed my order for AVS again! :(

We wanted to let you know that there is an unexpected delay with your video game order you placed on October 23 2008

"A Vampyre Story [CD-ROM]" [CD-ROM]

Estimated arrival date: 01/09/2009 - 01/26/2009

You are aware that everyone hates vegetarians, right?

Archived