Home

Anybody played AVS yet?

mh2k8

@Ascovel

You need an employee ID from the stadion. ;)

I had only a bug at the book shelf in the castle and there was a point where Mona speeks english in the german version.

I played it without big problems. :)

@Sven

Getting the employee ID was not a problem.

But when I gave it to the prostitute and followed her through the main entrance to the stadium I was suddenly teleported far inside without being stopped at the entrance by the ticket controller. And I didn't have the required song title item in the inventory yet. So I was stuck without being able to get out of there. This glitch ruins also one of the puzzles. The proper entry to the stadium that Mona and Froderick should have used at a specific point in time was the stadium's backdoor

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got it from play.com today, and have put a few hours into it.

I love the art direction but the writing is not up to the standards lucasarts veterans are used to in adventure games. The game also forgets to take into consideration what you know and don't know at some points in the game. For instance (very minor spoiler: )

at the beginning of the game, Mona does not acknowledge that she has been turned into a vampire, yet if you ask her to put her hand in the fireplace, she will refuse because "burnt vampire flesh smells bad".

Also, the puzzles range from very clever to "aimlessly trying to combine everything until something works", and there are occational graphical glitches.

Still, it's a good adventure game with a really strong art direction that feels like it could have been made in 1997 - which is a good thing in the world of point-and-click adventure games. I think everyone with a passion for classic adventure games will easily be able to overlook the game's flaws and enjoy the best full-length adventure game in many, many years.

The game also forgets to take into consideration what you know and don't know at some points in the game.

This is quite a problem in a later section of the game. However, the example line you mention fits actually pretty well with Mona's mindset.

As you will learn, Mona is quite aware of being a vampire, she just likes to pretend she isn't and prefers not to think about it in general. So you can consider her line a slip of the tongue.

Where´s the song idea item? Away? lol Don´t understand that.

I thought you already finished the game. :confused: If one doesn't collect the mentioned item early enough, one gets stuck permanently in the stadium location. At least that's how it worked on my system and I wanted to know if you had a similar experience.

@Ascovel

Yes, but I didn´t understand your problem sorry. :)

Btw on November 13-16th was a fair in Stuttgart, Germany where you could play AVS for free! I was there but I came directly from vacation without internet and I didn´t know that. And I didn´t see that. I was too busy to buy cheaper older adventure games. :D Later at home I read it! But that was too late. :( But that

But it doesn´t matter now. I played it and it was very good. :)

Wait, this game has dead-ends? Noah, Hal - how could you? :(

Nah, I was talking about AVS. I found two dead-ends in the game. The later one is obviously caused by a glitch and not by bad design. So I'm struggling with my language skills to inquire if anyone else has been teleported near the song list at the stadium without arranging it with the ticket controller or using the backdoor. That's what the aforementioned glitch is about.

Nah, I was talking about AVS. I found two dead-ends in the game. The later one is obviously caused by a glitch and not by bad design. So I'm struggling with my language skills to inquire if anyone else has been teleported near the song list at the stadium without arranging it with the ticket controller or using the backdoor. That's what the aforementioned glitch is about.

Same thing happened to me.. I found the game to be very buggy, especially graphical glitches.

But I really enjoyed it non the less, a really great game looking forward to avs 2

I think this 70% is just a mathematical sum of pretty good scores for sound and graphics and very low scores for puzzles and atmosphere.

Anyway, the review's text practically rips the game to shreds (in a civilized manner). The reviewer even wonders if Noah's and Hal's involvement was more of an marketing ploy than actual collaboration.

Hmmm, we'll have to see what other reviewers say.

As a rule, Ascovel, would you say that reviews from that site are pretty accurate?

Assuming that even websites can pass inaccurate judgments, how can you be sure that some one like me will pass an accurate judgment on a website? ;)

Well, OK. I'm not some great fan of AdventureTreff. I visit them because they have often very early reviews and information on adventure games. Some good interviews too. However, they're well known for overrating games. In fact, in the comments for the Mata Hari review the reviewer admitted that his 70% score means actually something around 45%! They're just so cool that they treat the 50% mark as zero (a slight simplification because the given explanation was very complex)! Great idea for inflating adventure games' scores IMO. ;)

Anyway, I've seen almost only negative comments on Mata Hari so far. At the German Amazon website for example. At AT there are also suggestions floating around of some falling out between dtp and Noah and Hal during the last year. I'm not sure if they're properly founded though.

Personally, I'm not giving up on this game so easily, but I haven't read any encouraging impressions yet.

Hi guys, I have been lurking on Mixnmojo for a number of years now, and I thought it would be time to post. I just started playing AVS, and I have to say, I'm a bit dissapointed. I would have been more impressed if Telltale Games hadn't happened in the meantime. The writing just isn't up to par with the Sam & Max-games (I'm not really a fan of the Strong Bad-games, so I won't comment on those). The game looks and feels amazing, if only they had some of the great writers of the Telltale Team... It's not a bad game, and I'm enjoying myself, and I love the 90s-feel it all has, but I can't stop thinking it could have been so, so much better.

However, I did find something nice which I think isn't mentioned anywhere yet. When you look at the journal of the baroness in the library, Mona says something like "Visit Von Kiefer - Period - Com". The site really exists, so, there you go: http://www.vonkiefer.com

The site doesn't seem to work that well yet, I can't seem to turn the page, but I thought you guys would like to know.

EDIT: Ah, I see it's already mentioned on the Pumpkin Post. Never mind me!

Assuming that even websites can pass inaccurate judgments, how can you be sure that some one like me will pass an accurate judgment on a website? ;)

Assuming that even websites can pass inaccurate judgments, and assuming you can pass an accurate judgment on a website, should a woodchuck chuck wood? ;)

Sad news on the Mata Hari front then I guess. I'll probably still get it though, just with lowered expectations. Such is life I suppose.

@AlfredJ

Hello and welcome! Quality avatar by the way.

Assuming that even websites can pass inaccurate judgments, and assuming you can pass an accurate judgment on a website, should a woodchuck chuck wood? ;)

:thmbup1: Yah, these are some of those mercilessly twisted philosophical questions that true pirates ponder.

@AlfredJ

Welcome. I was once a lurker like yourself, so we may share quite a lot of similarities. :)

Hi AlfredJ, welcome!

I must say I am also not 100 % impressed by AVS, although the game looks and feels great. I haven't yet finished it though, and I must say that the game really opens up in the second chapter. It's just a bit hit-and-miss I guess, but more hit than miss, especially when Mona says

"Let's crush Froderick's fruits and nuts."

That had me in stitches, heh. Overall I'm optimistic about the future of the series. There is room for improvement, and I am hopeful that we'll get that improvement in AVS 2.

Archived