Home

Space, and space combat (not related to the guild ships topic) for all fighter pilots

DarthJacen

Would you like Bioware to add space and space combat? If so what?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Bioware to add space and space combat? If so what?

• Galaxies style space combat should be included.
    • EVE style space combat should be included.
    • A hybrid of the above two should be included.
    • No space combat should be inculded fighter pilot should play Jedi Starfighter, instead.
    • Other (specify)

Hooray! This is my one hundredth post!

Jump to Lightspeed was my favorite expansion for Star Wars Galaxies. It gave such a depth to the roleplaying aspect of Galaxies that I actually find myself telling people, "I'm right above you, let me land", in reality you are in a completely different server.

It was nice to be able to hyperspace to other planets and fight an arcade flight simulator meshed game that you could play against the environment or against other pilots and pob ships.

It was more of a World War II flight simulator than a modern one because of the emphasis on guns being the primary weapon and missiles being a secondary weapon. (GL used world war II footage of the Battle of Britain as an early for of animatics for the Millenium Falcon fight and the Battle of Yavin scene in A New Hope causing that feel.)

By the way, if you haven't already, Master pilots should check out Ord Mantell with a group. You would be freaked out by the level of npcs there.

EVE went even further with the space concept by making all space activity on one giant server where you could literally go and go and go in space and never find the end of the server unlike in Galaxies.

I have often talked with people who have played both, and they agree with me that Galaxies would benefit from and EVE level space sim.

Would you be happy with this being added to Star Wars: The Old Republic? Why? or Why not?

I added an other option.

I'm not sure I want there to be any more space combat than maybe the minigames we saw in KotOR. I'd rather they focus on the story and main gameplay than add stuff like this.

That's fine! But, Space is the first thing you see in any Star Wars film, or game. So, we can't, just, forget about the STAR is Star Wars.

Well yeah, I still expect there will be hyperspace travel to different planets and stuff, and maybe random run-ins with ai-controlled fighters where you shoot them down like in KotOR, but besides that, not sure if I want any pvp space combat or anything like that.

Well yeah, I still expect there will be hyperspace travel to different planets and stuff, and maybe random run-ins with ai-controlled fighters where you shoot them down like in KotOR, but besides that, not sure if I want any pvp space combat or anything like that.

"Look good against remotes is one thing, good against a living? Now, that's something else" Han Solo, ANH

Once, you can excel at pvp space combat ai-controlled fighters just look tame compared to the ferocity of a real pilot who can think and maneuver.

Knight like chivalry is dead almost everywhere except among fighter pilots. They fly and fight simply to say, I'm better than you and I can prove it.

Actually Galaxies Space Combat was adopted from Wing Commander style. I'd rather see something far more advanced than Galaxies. Something that includes atmospheric flight as well. I personally like Galaxies style space combat. Twitch gaming and damage done by rolls. I would love to see something like being able to fly in to provide air support for your side in a conflict. Bringing reinforcements into hot zones(like Clone Wars). Evacuating wounded and being able to be a real hero pilot like the famous Dust Off's of the Vietnam era.

Well, I'm not sure what I would like to see TOR Space Combat as... Certainly not like Galaxies

Well, think of something.

Actually Galaxies Space Combat was adopted from Wing Commander style. I'd rather see something far more advanced than Galaxies. Something that includes atmospheric flight as well. I personally like Galaxies style space combat. Twitch gaming and damage done by rolls. I would love to see something like being able to fly in to provide air support for your side in a conflict. Bringing reinforcements into hot zones(like Clone Wars). Evacuating wounded and being able to be a real hero pilot like the famous Dust Off's of the Vietnam era.

I did not know that. That's pretty cool that a game that was released in 1990 is still in use today.

Going by how the game is all epic-story-oriented and stuff, I'd expect there to be space combat. I'd like it if it were like what you describe EVE Online's as. Mostly being able to do what you like, transport to planets, hijack, pirate, fight in a whole squadron etc. I think that will be included, seeing as how space combat has always played a crucial role in every Star Wars movie. :p

Going by how the game is all epic-story-oriented and stuff, I'd expect there to be space combat. I'd like it if it were like what you describe EVE Online's as. Mostly being able to do what you like, transport to planets, hijack, pirate, fight in a whole squadron etc. I think that will be included, seeing as how space combat has always played a crucial role in every Star Wars movie. :p

Not every movie, Episode II, and V largely did not feature much space combat that was of any significance. II less so that V. But, every movie does start out in space with a ship flying across the screen or sending out probe droids.

Not every movie, Episode II, and V largely did not feature much space combat that was of any significance. II less so that V. But, every movie does start out in space with a ship flying across the screen or sending out probe droids.

The Millenium Falcon's chase through the astroid field wasn't signifigant enough for you? Other than the Death Star run, that was pretty much the iconic space combat scene for me.

The Millenium Falcon's chase through the astroid field wasn't signifigant enough for you? Other than the Death Star run, that was pretty much the iconic space combat scene for me.

It was not combat, by definition, it was a chase. Combat implies two combatants at a minimum exchanging fire. The Millennium Falcon never returned fire once, the same thing with Obi-wan chasing Jango Fett. There was no return fire from Obi-wan, either.

So, no that was not space combat.

I've only played Galaxies, not EVE, but that being said, I did like the space combat in Galaxies, could it have been better, of course, but it was enjoyable. Being a pilot I am probably extremely biased, but if there is a Star Wars MMO and I don't have the option of being a pilot-type class, or at the very least, owning and being able to fly my own ship I will not be buying this game.

Don't forget to add your vote, then.

I opted for other.

I think it would be cooler to move from planet to planet with a Ebon Hawk sized ship, or even a big cruiser like a Star Destroyer.

Don't forget to add your vote to the poll, then. I don't see it up there.

Don't vote out of ignorance, it doesn't help the cause, but you do want to see space combat in the game so, cool!
Why don't you stop telling people what to vote, there is no point in having a poll if you're going to tell people what to do. If they want to vote they'll vote, just leave it at that.

Why don't you stop telling people what to vote, there is no point in having a poll if you're going to tell people what to do. If they want to vote they'll vote, just leave it at that.

I'm trying to get a gauge on how hot this topic is that's all. So far the poll is actually supporting my hypothesis that most people want some sort of space combat and 8 people actually want either a Galaxies style simulator or an EVE/ Galaxies hybrid that would go beyond the old system.

There is only one no vote on here, which actually intrigues me greatly.

Truthfully, I'd like it to be something TIE Fighter, or Battlefront II. Nothing too complicated, but nothing to simple, either.

^Agreed.

I really enjoyed the Battlefront II space combat system, as far as the one man fighters go, the bombers to a slightly lesser extent (the pilot/bomber role was good, but I didn't really like the secondary missile operator bit so much), but I felt that the capitals could be improved, mainly by permitting greater control over heavy weapons, targeting, manoeuvring, etc.

If it is only single pilot fighters that are included, Battlefront's system would be great.

Archived