Home

The events of TOR affects SW canon?

JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan

TOR is taking place in a war... Do you think players would affect the outcome of the entire war? Wield positions of power? And would there be a possibility of it becoming canon?

With them making the choices having real consequences, perhaps they could make the story 'un-abusable', you know, the same way they'll stop nutters running around with L337Sp34K names.

It would make the game so much more spine tinglingly, brain zappingly, pupil-dilatingly, immersive!

[edit] (<-- a statement used to be here that misrepresented the thread's topic. my mistake.)

And IMO that, would be plain outragafantasmafically, Awesome.

[edit]what i mean is "what do you think of the devs making it so that eventual outcome of the game that will be published be affected in any way by the players. and it becoming canon?"

I do not want my Star Wars canon defiled by the likes of jediMaster88, 1337s1th and sexyAlice43, not to mention the Elite Sith Destroyers cult, the Jedi of Pure Awesmoe and Nihilistic Destruction Monsters Death cult.

ehm, refer to my post:

With them making the choices having real consequences, perhaps they could make the story 'un-abusable', you know, the same way they'll stop nutters running around with L337Sp34K names.

if they did make the story not able to be abused, would you like the idea of it becoming canon?

ehm, refer to my post:

if they did make the story not able to be abused, would you like the idea of it becoming canon?

Story elements define canon, HOWEVER, player actions do not define canon. Much like it is defined that HK lives on to the Galaxies era, is freed, and subsequently defeated are part of canon, but that N00bkillar did it is not.

what i meant was the overall ending. the outcome of the war (if it is affected by the players)

Since they said you can play both sides in the war there will be no in-game outcome. Can you imagine the Sith players taking over every major Republic area and Bioware saying "Okay guys, server's over! You can play on another one or wait to restart at level 1 on this one!"?

Well, the game's back story will be, and already is, canon. I'm sure that Lucas Film will tell us the outcome of it all in some future publication; but there's no way the actions of so many players can all be considered canonical. This is the same with every game ever made: the story is canon, the general plot progression is canon, and the entirety of the FMVs are canon; but gameplay never is. It can't possibly be since there are a near infinite number of things the player can do. (Did Revan talk to that NPC walking around or didn't he? Things like that.)

Well, the game's back story will be, and already is, canon. I'm sure that Lucas Film will tell us the outcome of it all in some future publication;

what i mean is "what do you think of the devs making it so that eventual outcome of the game that will be published be affected in any way by the players. and it becoming canon?" (thisll go up in the main post)

we dont know yet. this is just speculation. just want to gather people's opinions.

do you like the idea of the entire outcome determined by the collective, major actions of players? (not the little insignificant ones) or not?

do you like the idea of the entire outcome determined by the collective, major actions of players? (not the little insignificant ones) or not?

If it is properly story-driven, the possible outcomes will already be decided, or at least such stands to reason. As with previous KotOR installments, with alternate endings, I think it will be much more likely that one possible ending - with one defined type of character (e.g. LS Jedi male called Revan, or with a generic title), an one faction triumphing (almost inevitably the Republic)

The more minor details will probably be overlooked - like crafting skills, the outcome of minor quests, actual appearance and whatnot.

In short, I doubt we will have control at all. However, it may be good if they keep ALL details beyond the over-arching storyline out of canon. That way people will feel free to create their own unique characters, rather than stick to the canon.

So in short, I would prefer that only the situation, brief details of (say) instanced battles (if they are to be present), the major npc villain and hero leaders, and the inevitable 'Glory to the Republic and the Jedi' ending be canonised, and the lesser details be left in the ether.

Archived