Home

Which Star Trek captain is your favorite?

Endorenna

Who is your favorite captain?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite captain?

• James Tiberius Kirk
    • Jean-Luc Picard
    • Benjamin Sisko
    • Kathryn Janeway
    • Jonathan Archer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason TOS was popular because it was made and first viewed in the seventies, when the American viewing public had little to no taste beyond cheesefests where the leader has sex with everything he sees, so that means little to nothing in the grand scheme. Yes, the unfounded popularity in TOS did bring about TNG, but that by no means equates quality.

I actually voted for Sisko, because the others can hop in the ship and speed off from the mess they make. not him. He's gotta sit right in the middle of it.

Actually, I explained on a Trek board that it's not a matter of who is the best. It's a matter of who fits the job better. Say something hostile is approaching Earth.

1. If there's no chance to negotiate send Kirk.

2. If you have a chance at a diplomatifc solution, send Picard.

3. If you don't know, send Sisko.

4. If you just need to slow it down and trick it, send Janeway.

5. If all you need is cannon fodder, send Archer.

The only reason TOS was popular because it was made and first viewed in the seventies,

Wrong.

when the American viewing public had little to no taste beyond cheesefests where the leader has sex with everything he sees, so that means little to nothing in the grand scheme.

I think most people who grew up in or lived through the seventies would find this generalization of themselves tasteless.

Yes, the unfounded popularity in TOS

I don't think you can say that the popularity of TOS was unfounded being that it was the basis for the entire Star Trek franchise, which is immensely popular today. Enough people had to like it in order for things to be based off of it, so I think its popularity was well-founded. Just because you don't think it deserves 'dignity' doesn't make your opinion right, especially in light of everyone who grew up with and liked the show.

but that by no means equates quality.

Well, you'd better be thankful that someone thought Star Trek was a quality show enough to fund movies and spin-offs. If it wasn't for that, the Star Trek franchise wouldn't even exist.

Anyone who could have The Picard Maneuver named after him is worthy of major win.

Id say having 2 planets named after you trumps that ;)

Data solved the Picard Maneuver in less than 3 seconds IIRC...

@Allronix: Archer achieved quite a bit considering he had quite a primitive ship in comparison to the other Captains :p

Plus they all cheated a bit... Picard and Janeway had Q, Archer had Daniels from the 30th century, and Kirk had his awesome 80s hair :p

mtfbwya

I voted for Picard, he was a lot more well rounded than the other Captains.

Kirk had a tendency to be a loose cannon.

Sisko well he was okay, but Picard beats him hands down.

Janeway was so annoying I couldn't stand her.

Archer was well I think I'll blame the writers for why Enterprise was messed up.

The Klingons are far from the definitive "cool" Trek villain. The only really cool Klingon in the franchise is Worf. Other than him, the Klingons are a shallow villain that haven't posed any sort of threat to the Federation since Kirk's days. The only thing that even puts Sisko on the map is his beard and baldness, and maybe Odo. Other than that, he brings nothing to the table.

The "best thing in Star Trek" has to be handed, without question, to the two-parter The Best of Both Worlds; by far the most intense story-arch in the entirety of the franchise. Voyager tried to duplicate it with the cliffhanger ending from Unimatrix Zero, but it just wasn't gut wrenching nor terrifying enough to stand up to the saga of Locutus.

The Dominion War was a lame attempt to bring some shallow explosions and phaser battles to an otherwise dull, dreary, parked-in-the-snow kind of show that DS9 had become.

The "best thing in Star Trek" has to be handed, without question, to the two-parter The Best of Both Worlds; by far the most intense story-arch in the entirety of the franchise. Voyager tried to duplicate it with the cliffhanger ending from Unimatrix Zero, but it just wasn't gut wrenching nor terrifying enough to stand up to the saga of Locutus.

The Dominion War was a lame attempt to bring some shallow explosions and phaser battles to an otherwise dull, dreary, parked-in-the-snow kind of show that DS9 had become.

I gotta hand it to the Doc... BOBW is the best storyline in Star Trek - maybe with Unifcation a close second... (Spock?)

Archived