Star Trek: Favorite First Officer  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek: Favorite First Officer

• Spock
    • William Riker
    • Kira Nerys
    • Chakotay
    • T'pol

I say Spock. He was, imo, a much better foil to Kirk than the others were to their respective COs. It was always good seeing the brashness of Kirk contrasted with the composure of Spock, best summed up in The Undiscovered Country: Kirk: "You're a great one for logic. I'm a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread."

Riker and Picard seemed a much more obviously amicable pairing - there rarely seemed to be friction between the two. Will Riker was a brilliantly written character, but I think he lacked that element of being the opposite of his captain

Chakotay and Janeway seemed to me to go the same way. Chakotay was another great character - noble, commanding, loyal - but to me too similar to Janeway to beat Spock.

Kira's character, at least in the early series of DS9, was a lot more the foil to Sisko. The confrontation between Bajor and Starfleet was good, but it eventually seemed to die off.

And T'Pol's character was a lot like a copy of Spock, in my eyes.

It logical to assume you need corrective eyewear. :xp:

:lol:

Yes, there were some...redeeming qualities...but I couldn't escape the idea that the character was created for the same purposes claimed by Voyager fans for Seven being written.

I meant the personality of the character really - from what little I watched of Enterprise. Disdainful of human illogic and irrationality, etc.

Uh-oh.

Haven't gotten there yet.

Why did I know there had to be a mirror universe episode somwhere in there? :xp::lol:

It's actually quite easily the best episode from Enterprise. It's called In a Mirror, Darkly, and it ties in the TOS episode Tholian Web quite nicely. It was a good bit of writing - a rare gem in an otherwise poor quality branch of the franchise.

Archived