Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I read over a little bit of that forum. Do you think I should download a ATI Catalyst Windows 7 and Vista (64 bit)? I was trying to decide on that. My Video card is Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I'm trying to run this on a laptop, if that changes anything. I tried the Disable Vertex Buffer Objects thing, and that didn't do anything different. And I want to try disabling the sound but I don't know how.

Hey! I'm new to this forum thing, so please cut me some slack. I just got KOTOR 2 yesterday and have been trying to get it to work all day today. I've downloaded the fix and switched the mss32.dll onto KOTOR2, but when I open the swkotor2.exe shortcut on my desktop, it still says "KOTOR 2 has stopped working". Any ideas? I really want to play this game.

It's probably because you need the SecuROM fix, which is a new swkotor2.exe.

Question for Evil Q:

After I download the secuRom vista fixes, do I put them somewhere? Like in the main directory for the game?

After copying or moving the original swkotor2.exe that's in your game's main folder to back it up, you copy the new one from SecuROM into the main folder, overwriting the old one.

Ok, I read over a little bit of that forum. Do you think I should download a ATI Catalyst Windows 7 and Vista (64 bit)? I was trying to decide on that. My Video card is Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I'm trying to run this on a laptop, if that changes anything. I tried the Disable Vertex Buffer Objects thing, and that didn't do anything different. And I want to try disabling the sound but I don't know how.

You don't have an ATI graphics card, so you won't need Catalyst or anything having to do with ATI or Nvidia. If you've downloaded and installed anything like that then you need to stop now and do a system restore back to a date before you did anything like that, or you're in for far more trouble than just not being able to run KotOR 2.

Good news rhinohoops8 :)

Just a couple of comments related to KOTOR/2 compatibility in general:

*Many people Ive come across having KOTOR/2 issues in Vista tried Windows 7RC - which is still available as a free download from MS. It has made quite a few people happy as far as getting KOTOR/2 running :p As I mentioned in my report above, most users with original discs will not need any compatibility workaround.

*Just as an FYI. Those curious as to what the Mss32.dll actually is may be suprised to know that it is actually a Miles Sound System driver, used in many games with the bink video format developed by RAD games tools. Hence it has *nothing* to do with Microsoft or DirectX, which is what many back in the day where thinking.

The tweaked Mss32.dll workaround on page 1 is actually an old version (3.0) that resembles the one that gets installed in KOTOR 1 but has some 3d mode changes in its config settings(which you can see by opening in up in notepad and scrolling down). Strangely enough, even downloading the latest Miles Sound tools from RAD featuring v7 of Mss32.dll will still give you the same crashes in Vista if you use it in KOTOR.

It is *really* disappointing that neither obsidian nor RAD could get together to sort out something so relatively simple. MS seems to have paid attention for Windows 7, but it still could have been achieved by the original authors of the software without too much effort, rather than putting it back on the community to chop and change it. Its an immensely popular and high selling series with a large active following - you'd think they valued their community a bit more ??

mtfbwya

It worked!!! YEAH!!!! Thank you so much!!! I'm so excited to play now!!! I had downloaded the secuRom before but hadn't replaced it yet. That was what did the trick. Thank you all for helping me, especially Evil Q, Belhawk, and Astro. :) :) :) :) :) :)

You're welcome. Glad you got it working. Have fun. :)

You can get Windows 7 for free at MS whereever that is? I have seen computers advertised in the paper that come with Windows 7. How are you able to get it for free at one place, but have to buy it everywhere else?

So I guess the moral of the story is from reading the new replies that if you get Windows 7 with a NVIDA card you should be set? What do you mean by original discs? How could they not be. I didn't know there were other disc versions of K1-2.

Since Windows 7 works like a miracle it seems with the KOTOR games I will be going to tell other forums like Obsidian and maybe the comments area of the Vista fix on KOTORFiles. But before I do I want to know what I'm talking about with the above questions so I don't have something wrong when I tell them the great news.

Thanks.

got a new problem. I installed the tsl holowan mod, and that prevented me from entering the tomb on korriban. So, i uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Got it up and running, except i can't patch the game to 1.0b, which is 20427 i did replace the swkotor2.exe with a new 1 from secure.com and that 1 is 2.1

so, do i need the patch or do i need to patch the game with the old swkotor.exe and then replace swkotor.exe with the 1 from secure.com?

i did all of the changes to get kotor 2 to run on vista. the games gets to the game creation screen and when i click on NAME, the game freezes. i also used nhancer to create a profile to see opengl as 1.4

all help as much appreciated.

. How are you able to get it for free at one place, but have to buy it everywhere else?

Two very important letters youve missed !!

Windows 7RC

RC wasnt put in there for fun :) RC is the Release Candidate beta of W7. It is what I tested K1/2 on above. Until yesterday, it was available for free - as it is a beta - from MS directly. MS have now phased this out, but RC is still available from p2p - and it is legal to use it as long as you are aware that you can NOT recive any official support from them

So I guess the moral of the story is from reading the new replies that if you get Windows 7 with a NVIDA card you should be set?

My testing conditions in the above report above are very specific - if you can replicate *those* you will be set. Anything else is subject to its own testing of course

What do you mean by original discs? How could they not be. I didn't know there were other disc versions of K1-2.

There were some different re-issues of the retail discs, but it must also be mentioned that there are legally owned digital copies as well. I tested mine with some original discs, bought shortly after initial release for both titles.

Since Windows 7 works like a miracle it seems with the KOTOR games I will be going to tell other forums like Obsidian and maybe the comments area of the Vista fix on KOTORFiles

Feel free to spread the link to here, but dont preach before you practise :) ie. best you try W7 for yourself before you can claim it works like a miracle !!

Also, please remember, I did NOT install any mods or any of the official patches. These can potetntially break the miracle success I achieved with the setup I described :)

mtfbwya

i also used nhancer to create a profile to see opengl as 1.4

Well, since you got it working before, then maybe you shouldn't be doing that.

Little advice, here:

Once you get the vanilla install working, it would be a good idea to make a copy of your entire game folder and put it in a safe place (maybe even on a DVD if you're pressed for HDD space) before you start fiddling around with mods and such so you won't have to repeat the entire installation process when you mess up. ;)

Well I checked the Obsidian counterparte to this thread and they don't mention Windows 7. Until someone else tries another computer with Win7 besides Astro's one he checked, all I could tell those on that thread is that that computer with those specs worked.

But you did say Astro that those who did download the Win7 RC on that site you gave did have good results. Those individuals need to come here and post there specs so we can get a better idea about what works.

And to the last suggestion about storing the kotor2 folder, if you are worried about space just archive the folder. I know people around here really like 7 Zip, but I did a little searching and I found something called IZArc and it can deal with more archive file types than 7 Zip and its right click menu is similar too. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Those individuals need to come here and post there specs so we can get a better idea about what works.

This report was posted at AHTO - other LFN members also trialling W7 reported success. I don't think there's any need to hassle people from elsewhere I barely know to came here.

I will be trialling it with Windows7 RTM very soon- watch this space!

mtfbwya

It's 1280x800. Installed the game last night and it fired right up after hacking the .ini to that res.

There are ways of taking it to far higher widescreen resolutions, however. ;)

I havent tried these hacks in W7 yet. Must get around to it ...

*mental note*

mtfbwya

I am on Windows 7 RTM x64 and can't play KOTOR. i tried everything but nothing.

After the Lucas Logo the game go black screen and reduce to icon to the desktop and I need to use the task manager to kill the process.

Any help??

I havent tried RTM yet, but will be doing so this weekend, x86 though.

Can you describe how you installed. Also, can you outline your specs, especially your graphics card and driver version?

mtfbwya

I havent tried RTM yet, but will be doing so this weekend, x86 though.

Can you describe how you installed. Also, can you outline your specs, especially your graphics card and driver version?

mtfbwya

Yes sure.

Well I inserterd the first CD and installed it via the autorun.

Then I updated the game to ver 1.03 via it's updater.

After this I set compatibility mode "Xp SP2" and "Run as administrator". Then configured to maximum resoltiona and the rest set to default.

The game launched but after the Lucas Arts logo the game went black screen to bakground in the taskbar.

To close it I needed to use the Task Manager and kill the Program.

My specs are :

CPU: i7

MB: Asus P6T

VGA: Nvidia 295GTX Drivers 192.60 (Latest)

Ram: 4Gb

I don't know if it's the VGA or what. The Drivers are the latest and the more stable for my VGA.

Archived