Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive had a go at KOTOR 2 - and it has been working FANTASTICALLY!

I didnt even need to apply any compatibility modes etc

Im using original discs and did not apply another other update or no cd patch

SPECS:

X58 based mainboard

Core i7 920 2.6Ghz

4GB DDR3(only 2GB usable in 7RTM x86)

EVGA GTX 295 single pcb

I even got the rez patcher to work - Ive been playing K2 for 5 hours at 1600p :D

Ive reduced the rez and forced windowed mode to take this screenie(this cuts part of the game screen off)

k2-1.png

@Q >> re -the map fix gui file >> im not sure where that is mean to go. All works cool except the HUD map which is out of whack.

I'll give K1 a try another time ;)

Also, I must get my hands on an x64 copy when I evetually switch to W7 full time, though not in a hurry to do so yet ;)

mtfbwya

Ok I am at my wits end with KoTOR.

Specs:

i7 920

MSI x58 Platinum

EVGA GTX 280

6gb DDR3

Vista Home Premium 64, SP 1

Legit copy of KoTOR, installed in XP SP2 Compatibility mode, ran patch program (also in compatibility). Got the Direct X 9 patch suggested in this thread, set processor affinity to core 0 (each freaking time). I have no haks or mods installed.

I keep crashing at various places, had all video settings maxed out, so dropped them all to min. (ugly and cased problems with walkmesh/walking with my PC)

Still crashed.

Current site of crashing is in the crystal cave on Dantooie.

Help?

Did you try the Dantooine lag fix that I mentioned in post #2 of this thread?

No, as I am not having this problem with KoTOR2, only with KoTOR.

I managed to get out of the cave on Dantooine and discovered that I only crashed in there if I used the PC, if I played as a NPC there was no problem.

I then crashed multiple times after that outside the cave, and again on the Hawk. Most of the crashes are during or right after combat, but not always.

They look to me like an over heating crash, everything just freezes and nothing happens for about a min (unless you CTRL-ALT-Delete to get the Task Manager up) and then the Vista box about a program not responding comes up.

Since it looked like na over heating crash I started logging temps during game play and found that my GPU never exceeded 50C and my CPU stays between 42 & 46C. These temps are well inside specs for this hardware and should not be causing crashes. (The temps get much higher for example when I play Cryostasis with the GPU getting to 68C and the CPU getting to 52-54C and there are no crashes)

I know that there was a texture patch for KoTOR 2, is there one for KoTOR?

(not sure if textures are even a problem, Im just grasping at straws here)

No, as I am not having this problem with KoTOR2, only with KoTOR.

The Dantooine lag fix is needed for BOTH GAMES, given that they use the same engine and all. Where is the idea that it's only for KotOR 2 coming from? You're not the first person to think this, so I'll amend Post #2 to make it more clear. Just apply the fix and it should solve the problems that you're having.

Yes, i remember this :) Problem is - I dont have an override folder !! (that I can see anyway) Maybe its something that gets created when you apply an update ??

Yeah, I think that it gets created when you patch the game to 1.02b. If for some reason you can't or don't want to patch it, you can create an override folder in the main game folder and the game will use it. :)

The Dantooine lag fix is needed for BOTH GAMES, given that they use the same engine and all. Where is the idea that it's only for KotOR 2 coming from? You're not the first person to think this, so I'll amend Post #2 to make it more clear. Just apply the fix and it should solve the problems that you're having.

When I was reading this thread the first time I started to read the lag fix and got as far as:

First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini".

Since it references swkotor(2) I presumed that it was only for KoTOR II. :)

I am pretty familiar with the engine since it is the same basic one that NWN uses and I am still an avid NWN PW player. (http://www.avlis.org)

I am sad that they did not port of the update that allows a line to be added to the ini that sets CPU affinity to the KoTOR engine thou.. (actually I think that hte last patch to NWN removed the need for it)

The "2" is in parenthses, signifying that the may either be present or not present, but I went ahead and clarified that it should be used for both games. Sorry about the confusion.

Did it solve your problem?

The "2" is in parenthses, signifying that the may either be present or not present, but I went ahead and clarified that it should be used for both games. Sorry about the confusion.

Did it solve your problem?

Nope.

Just crashed again on the smugglers space station, was only moving across the area.

Open the .ini again to make sure that the change was put in the right place, spelled correctly and saved.

You have a Core i7. Is Hyperthreading disabled?

yes its in correctly and in the correct place. I copied/pasted it and then removed the quotes

no it is not disabled...

I tried tweaking the settings in the nvidia control pannel for the game and that seems to have helped. The main setting that I changed was putting "force" for Vsync. (in the custom settings for KoTOR)

(I found that one here:http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=689084&forum=80)

Yeah, I think that it gets created when you patch the game to 1.02b. If for some reason you can't or don't want to patch it, you can create an override folder in the main game folder and the game will use it. :)

Cheers Q ;) It might be a while before I get back to K1/K2 in Win7... I just ran Mass Effect on my 295 ... I cant stop staring at it.... I never finished this game because I wanted to wait until I could max it out at 1600p.

masseffect.jpg

(my monitor = 60Hz = so only needs 60fps of course)

Now if you'll excuse me, the Normandy awaits :D:thmbup1:

mtfbwya

I still can't get KOTOR run. Anyone found ho to make it run in Win 7? It seems that the II runs.

I got K1 to run in W7 RC as described earlier. I doubt that this would change by RTM. I cant try it atm, but will give it a go within a few days just for the curious and naysayers ;) I cannot comment on x64 compatibility though,as I dont have that build of RC or RTM

mtfbwya

I was having problems running KotOR I on a Vista 64-bit with a NVidia driver...

I installed under SP2 as admin, replaced the mss32.dll file, then made a shortcut to the exe. then I added that line to the swkotor.ini file, then edited OpenGL options with Nhancer software. Then I finally saw this and completed Part II and III of the solution above... Finally, now, the game appears to be working. I am eternally grateful with many thanks! When time gives me the opportunity I shall attempt to play through the whole game.

Thanks everyone!

@Zhuk etc > I will be having a shot at RTM x64 this weekend ;) I'll keep all ye posted.

Edit: Apologies for the delay ;) Ive been quite busy... Anwyay, Ive just had a go at KOTOR 1. I pretty much replicated the process as listed for W7 RC.

I have enabled XP SP2 compatibility mode for swkotor.exe. after some initial gripes. Apart from some flickering during the save screen I have not had any issues on W7 RTM x64

I am using 190.68 nvidia drivers, with the August 2009 directx also installed(this completes directX9 libraries) >> I noticed this when (previously installed) mass effect refused to start in W7 RTM x64 after it was newly installed > citing this error as the reason ;)

Other than that Ive encountered no issues so far. Of course, Ive only played to Telos. If anyone want to send a savegame for me to try a specific level - i'd be happy to do so. Please note >> I have NOT patched or updated anything to do with KOTOR1. I am runing v1.00 off my original game disc.

Heres a screenie with sys info window so you can see Im on RTM (7600) x64. I needed to force windowed mode in kotor ini to get this grab ;)

k1w7rtmx64.jpg

I can try K2 later, but as per the Win7 RC results, I dont think I'll see anything different....

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Archived