Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

ok so heres my story.

bout a year back i tried to play kotor 1 with no origninal disk

fail and gave up, seriously guys dont try it, game is just like 20 bucks anyway

my sis now broght me kotor 2 from miami new in its box, got all my disks and everthing, so i followed all the steps and i still get a crash on startup. it waits about 30 secons after opening the exe then goes to a black screen and then displays this error

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: swkotor2.exe

Application Version: 2.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 41eddf8f

Fault Module Name: StackHash_51a8

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 7178

Additional Information 1: 51a8

Additional Information 2: 51a878936cc931f28b6f7b280b65ac00

Additional Information 3: 5999

Additional Information 4: 59999b97ab094dd8e9e44dc84297c517

here is the scan hardware thing u guys ask for

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=17/08/2010 10:13:13 p.m.

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=None

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=1995

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=6

CPUStepping=1

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Celeron® CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=2048

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=11.97GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\,E:\

Drives=SONY CDRWDVD CRX880A ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=512

Desktop Resolution=1280x800x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.0.0 - Build 8.15.10.1912

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@wdma_usb.inf,%usb\class_01.devicedesc%;Dispositivo de audio USB

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=0

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

now heres the weird part, first thing ul notice is dantoine lag fix isint done, yet heres is what is inside my ini file

Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=800

Height=600

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=0

Anti Aliasing=0

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

[Game Options]

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

weird huh? any help is greatly apreciated

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yeah, definitely weird. That looks like some kind of "compatibility files" or permissions thing, which is a problem that I've never run into, myself. Did you remove the "read-only" properties from the game folder?

Okay so I'm trying to run KOTOR on my laptop and I followed all the steps but I still can't get it to work.

OK, you either haven't done the Dantooine lag fix, or it hasn't taken hold for some reason.

*cautiously enters the room*

Uh, hi. New to KotOR here. I am hoping someone can help me. Sorry this is going to be a tl;dr kind of thing but I just need to explain how this happened:

Just managed to get the game installed and running last night on Windows 7 and it was working just fine except for a bit of touchiness when it came to starting the game but once the game was past the company credits screen it was fine. However, I must have done something to the computer settings or whatnot because all of a sudden tonight I was unable to load the game without it immediately minimizing and being unable to restore.

Long story short, I used the .ini settings as suggested in post #31 of this thread and that has completely fixed the crashing problem, so yay! However, the game screen is awfully small on my monitor. Here's a link to an image of how much it takes up on the screen.

My question is whether or not I can use these swkotor.ini fixes along with a mod of some kind to either make it full screen or near full screen again. I tried using SteveDroid's widescreen fix patch but that only appears to make the screen *smaller*.

Thanks for your potential help. :-)

ETA: for the record, normal resolution on my screen is 1680x1050.

ETA2: Hmm, maybe the .ini fix didn't help as much as I thought after all. After every battle my PC is unable to move. I have to save the game, exit out and the return in order to move.

I appear to have missed installing the Directx 9 step but everything else was done properly and in order. Should I uninstall the entire game and do it again?

ETA: Have reinstalled game following instructions accordingly. The only thing I was unable to do was Set Affinity (my computer wouldn't allow me to do so). Still having identical problem: game will not launch in Fullscreen mode and when I apply setting changes as they appear in post #31, the screen gets smaller (of course). Resolution 1280x1024 is too long (the menu options disappear underneath my taskbar) and 1280x960 gives me the bug where I am unable to move after a combat has completed. In fact, anything lower than 1280X1024 gives me that bug.

I would post a Hardware Configuration report but my computer apparently will not allow that either. And yes, I am running as administrator.

Is the box marked "Show processes from all users" in the Task Manager checked?

Does FullScreen=1 in the .ini file?

You can't use the game's configuration utility to post your system specs?

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

And please specify which version of Windows you are using because the game can't ID anything newer than XP.

Oh, duh. No, Show All Processes was not checked. Sorry. :( It is now, though.

FullScreen = 0

Windows 7 64-bit.

And how bizarre; NOW I can get a report when I couldn't before. -_- Regardless:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=9/14/2010 4:45:28 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v1.03.514077

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\

[OS]

Name=Win9x

Version=Windows 9X v6.1 build 7600

Service Pack=None

Status=Fail

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=8

CPUSpeed=2660

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=10

CPUStepping=5

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=4096

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=685.88GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=4096

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=3.3.0

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2

NVidia Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Fail

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor.ini

[sound Options]

Sound Init=0

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=100

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Disable Sound=0

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

Environment Effects Level=0.60

2D3D Bias=1.50

Environment Effects=1

Environment Effects Nonstreaming=1

Environment Effects Streaming=1

[Game Options]

GUIsInScreenShot=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=33

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

Enable Tooltips=1

Difficulty Level=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1.000000

Memory Access=1

Memory Level=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie 0=16

Movie 1=0

Movie 2=0

Movie 3=0

Movie 4=0

Movie 5=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 9=0

Movie10=0

[Alias]

HD0=.\

OVERRIDE=.\Override

TEMP=.\Temp

MODULES=.\Modules

LOGS=.\Logs

LOCALVAULT=.\LocalVault

DMVAULT=.\DMVault

SERVERVAULT=.\ServerVault

STREAMMUSIC=.\StreamMusic

TEMPCLIENT=.\Tempclient

SAVES=.\saves

CURRENTGAME=.\currentgame

TEXTUREPACKS=.\texturepacks

STREAMWAVES=.\StreamWaves

[Graphics Options]

RefreshRate=75

Height=768

Width=1024

V-Sync=0

Anisotropy=8

Frame Buffer=0

Anti Aliasing=4

Texture Quality=2

Emitters=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=0

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=0

FullScreen=0

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

[Autopause Options]

Mine Sighted=1

End Of Combat Round=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action265=52

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=62

Action213=60

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

FullScreen = 0

It needs to be FullScreen=1.

Windows 7 64-bit.

Then you shouldn't have to set CPU core affinity at all. Win7 should do that automatically.

[OS]

Name=Win9x

Service Pack=None

Status=Fail

And here's your problem. If it's IDing your OS as Win9x you're going to have to reinstall the game because you did not set compatibility mode to XP SP2 on either the the install disk's setup.exe (before installation) or swkotor.exe (after installation, patching and replacement with the one updated by SecuROM).

That's bizarre because I *absolutely* did. I can try reinstalling a third time and trying it again.

ETA: If that is where the problem lies, I don't know what else to do. I followed the install instructions to the letter. I even ensured that all users have the same configuration. This is in the new report:

[OS]

Name=Win9x

Service Pack=None

Status=Fail

Deity as my witness, I set both the Setup and .exe file for Compatibility with Win XP (service pack 2), I swear it.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. This is how I do it:

(I am under the assumption that I don't need to keep reinstalling the DirectX 9 file linked to in the first post).

1). Locate Setup.exe. Right-click on it, set it to Win XP SP2 compatibility and set to run as Admin. I ensure this is done for all users (moot point since I am the only user, but I digress).

2). Install the game. When it asks me to enter disk 4, I do so. Install completes.

3). I patch the game with 1.03.

4). I then replace the mss32.dll (the original is backed up elsewhere).

5). I then backup the swkotor.exe file and put a no-cd .exe into place (not the one linked in the second post; that one doesn't work or me).

6). Right-click on the no-cd to ensure it is in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode (it is).

7). Set a shortcut to the no-cd onto the desktop.

8). Right click shortcut to ensure it is in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode (it is).

9). Start the game. It starts in full screen mode but it either minimizes after Lucas Arts or the Bioware splash screen. Am unable to progress past that point.

At this point I could apply the setting fixes in post #31 to prevent the crash but it will give me the issues I've spoken of: The screen is either too small (appearing only in the top left corner of my screen), or at 1280x1024 it's too small and too long (the bottom of the screen is cut off), or at 1280x780 (or lower) I can play the game but I am unable to move after every battle completes.

10). Add the line "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" (without quotes) to the Graphics Options in the swkotor config settings file, also noting that V-Sync is set to 0. Problem persists.

Yes. I did notice that I had forgotten to put the patch in compatibility mode, however. I tried re-patching (hoping that it would rewrite the files) but nothing changed. I have uninstalled again and am going to try doing that properly this time.

Quick question: do I need to alter any registry entries after each uninstall to make sure the game is completely gone? The game no longer shows up as an option in Uninstall Programs, however.

Not a one. I know that you're setting the files to run as an admin, but are you then right-clicking on them and choosing "run as an administrator" when you run them instead of just double-clicking on them? Are you using an admin's account?

Theoretically, could I get it to run without all this rigmarole on a computer with XP and an nVidia GeForce 8600 GT or would I still have the issue with resolution?

ETA: Okay, now the desktop shortcut has that blue and yellow shield on it. It never had that before. -_-

ETA2: Oh, wait. I've read that Win XP compatibility mode only 'exists' for Win 7 Pro or higher. Is this true? It could certainly explain why I can't get it to work (since I have the Home edition).

You're talking about that XP mode that Pro has that is actually a form of virtual machine. That's not what we're dealing with, here. I have Home Premium 64 as well.

With that XP machine you could install and patch it normally. You'd just have to do the Dantooine lag fix and set FullScreen=1 in the swkotor.ini file and set CPU core affinity every time you launch the game if it has a multicore CPU.

THank you very much for all of your help. :-)

As one final option before resorting to using an entirely different tower, I don't suppose you'd happen to know anything about whether I can install KotOR onto a virtual machine (or install it here and run it on there)? I do have an XP VM installed so I can play an old DOS game.

• 2 weeks later...

So after much fiddling around and re-installing and following your guide... Mine still wouldn't run properly. I finally figured out how to make it run.. but it doesn't make much sense. For some reason my game seems unaffected by anything I manually put into the .ini file.. fullscreen set to 1 or 0 does nothing.. setting the resolution does nothing. In game settings will stay set though and show up properly in the .ini. Anyway to get mine to run I have to alt tab out during the Lucas Arts start up screen.. If I don't the game will crash to desktop but stay running in that frozen crashed state as if it's playing.. Once I alt tab back into the game the bioware screen will pop up.. it'll keep going until the New/Load game screen and then be in some amazingly strange resolution where all I can see is the top left of the screen and a little bit of Maleks head.. I then press alt-tab again and the screen will correct itself to the 1200 x 1024 res. I had tried the widescreen patch earlier and it just doesn't seem to work with 1600x900 res... so I gave up on that. I"m just glad to have it running at all. I really have no idea if any of your stuff helped or if I had installed normally and just alt-tabbed out in the first place everything would have worked. But thanks at least for providing instructions that kept me trying long enough to discover the alt-tab thing. :)

^ ATI Radeon 4650. HP-Pavilion..win-7

This is my first pre-manufactured computer and I've never had an ATI before.. I've had quite a bit of problems getting older games to run well with it. I'm used to nvidia and like their cards better. But I got this computer as a gift and it is better than my old computer so I shouldn't really complain.

Edit: Felt like fiddling some more even though I said I wouldn't. Decided to install everything directly to C: drive.. no sub folders. Everything seems to work great... No having to replace the mss.dll or securirom thing/no administration privileges, no running in xp compatibility .... Kotor 1 can start windowed and Kotor 2 has absolutely no problems... yet. I'll have to play awhile to see if there are any crashes but so far so good.

Archived