Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

Yeah, you'll have to patch the games. Just follow the instructions in the second post of this thread and you should be fine. Since you have an Nvidia GPU the problems should be minimal.

As far as your screen resolution is concerned, check out the Widescreen Gaming Forum. Their UniWS utility will work on KotOR 1, and there is a patcher by Squ1zZy for KotOR 2. Don't forget the HUD files for both games.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, you'll have to patch the games. Just follow the instructions in the second post of this thread and you should be fine. Since you have an Nvidia GPU the problems should be minimal.

As far as your screen resolution is concerned, check out the Widescreen Gaming Forum. Their UniWS utility will work on KotOR 1, and there is a patcher by Squ1zZy for KotOR 2. Don't forget the HUD files for both games.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Had some unexpected time (insomnia = no sleep sometimes) to read through, and it seems like you've been a huge help to everyone here.

I did see how a few members were able to just do the XP Comp. install on Windows 7, and it worked fine.

I may have missed it, but any word on why some just needed to do a XP Comp. install, and others needed to do a full patch?

Definitely loving this nVidia-powered computer.

Had it a few months for some advanced algorithm modeling for mathematics, and finally got into games. Got it to run Crysis 2 in full specs with a 35fps rate. Not bad!

Hoping to get some spectacular results with KOTOR and TSL.

Anywor don my second question though Q? About Team Gizka and their downloads?

I did see how a few members were able to just do the XP Comp. install on Windows 7, and it worked fine.

I may have missed it, but any word on why some just needed to do a XP Comp. install, and others needed to do a full patch?

Those few who had no problems running unpatched games on Vista/7 must be a very few indeed. Just patch the games.

Anywor don my second question though Q? About Team Gizka and their downloads?

All trolling aside, TSLRP ended up being much ado about (almost) nothing. Look no further than TSLRCM for restored content. It is actively supported and is still being refined.

Those few who had no problems running unpatched games on Vista/7 must be a very few indeed. Just patch the games.

All trolling aside, TSLRP ended up being much ado about (almost) nothing. Look no further than TSLRCM for restored content. It is actively supported and is still being refined.

Definitely planning patching from the get go. Reading through all of this just made me curious how some (such as Astro) got the game to work on at least Windows 7 with no real modifications necessary. Im not the most computer savvy person, but I do take an interest in it. Seemed interesting to me.

And that is a fantastic link! Loved reading through (most) of those pages!

Can't wait to have the full 1.8v mod installed after I get the game. Going to start it right off the bat with it.

Thanks for all the help Q! Ill let you know if I have any problems

So I did the entire install exactly as described. About to do my first run.

Never could get the DirectX Redistribution Pack to work. Would try and install, and it would get stuck on the Initialization screen.

Dont think it should be an issue though. After I installed KotOR, it said it detected that I Already had DirectX9.0c installed. Maybe its b/c I have an nVidia card and a gaming-oriented computer??

EDIT: ~~ IT WORKS!!

One small issue is that my update did not work. It would not let me install update 1.0B. Is there a 1.0 I need to install first or something? I have the US version, and I thought that was with the Int. versions only.

Would like to get that update so I have an override folder and can start adding in all of my mods so my game is as complete as possible from the very start

Got about 10 minutes into Peragus and then exited out myself.

Now I just need to fix my resolution. Very small box on my computer screen currently.

Though I have a question. If it needs to be in another thread, let me know, and ill delete and move it.

I need to do the high-res fix so that the game fills my whole screen. Currently it sits in a small box in the middle.

I looked, but I couldn't find one for 1920x1080.

Anyone have a link?

^What kind of card do you have? I've just been testing both of these games with an HD 6870 and the latest drivers (12.4), and, aside from the soft shadows option being greyed out (weird), they both ran great. No tweaking was necessary.

So I did the entire install exactly as described. About to do my first run.

Never could get the DirectX Redistribution Pack to work. Would try and install, and it would get stuck on the Initialization screen.

Dont think it should be an issue though. After I installed KotOR, it said it detected that I Already had DirectX9.0c installed. Maybe its b/c I have an nVidia card and a gaming-oriented computer??

No idea why this wouldn't install. It's one of the first things I do when I install Windows.

EDIT: ~~ IT WORKS!!

One small issue is that my update did not work. It would not let me install update 1.0B. Is there a 1.0 I need to install first or something? I have the US version, and I thought that was with the Int. versions only.

Would like to get that update so I have an override folder and can start adding in all of my mods so my game is as complete as possible from the very start

Are you using the manual patch? Is it set to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode as an administrator? If it still isn't working, you may indeed have the UK version and you'll need to use those patches (there are two of them and you'll need to apply both).

Got about 10 minutes into Peragus and then exited out myself.

Now I just need to fix my resolution. Very small box on my computer screen currently.

Though I have a question. If it needs to be in another thread, let me know, and ill delete and move it.

I need to do the high-res fix so that the game fills my whole screen. Currently it sits in a small box in the middle.

I looked, but I couldn't find one for 1920x1080.

Anyone have a link?

I have two of them:

1) Squizzy Resolution Patcher. Set your resolution to 1280x960 in-game. Move or rename your swkotor2.exe and Mss32.dll files. Extract the file in the link to KotOR 2's main folder, set the patcher to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode as an administrator and run it. Choose your resolution and click on "patch". Go into you swkotor2.ini file, set the width and height values to your resolution, save and exit.

2) Go to this page and download the HUD fix file for your particualr aspect ratio. In your case you'll want 16:9. Unzip it and put it in your Override folder. If you still can't patch your game, you can just make a new folder in KotOR 2's main directory and name it "Override" and it will work. The HUD will look stretched and fugly, but there really isn't any fix for that.

I got the games running and TSL works fine, however in K1, I cannot move with WASD. I have researched this issue and unlike the other people who experience it, I cannot move right from the start of the game. I have reinstalled and the issue still remains, any ideas?

Hey, I seem to be having a problem with KotOR 2 where right after the character creation and first intro video that the game crashes and I have done everything to try to fix this, most of what consists on this thread. If it helps, I am running Windows 7 and I am NOT using a disk version of the game. Help would be GREATLY appreciated

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and "swconfig.exe". For each file, right-click on it, select "properties", then "compatibility", check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

And if you don't have the disk version, which one is it?

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=6/23/2012 11:15:22 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2526

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=5

CPUStepping=5

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=365.86GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\,E:\

Drives=TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SN-208BB,TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SN-208BB ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1366x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2342

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel® HD Graphics

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@wdma_usb.inf,%usb\class_01.devicedesc%;USB Audio Device

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

[config]

firstrun=0

1) Your game isn't patched.

2) You need the Dantooine lag fix:

• First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
  • When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
  • Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
  • Under the last line ("last line" as in the last line of the list of entries under "Graphics Options", NOT the last line of "swkotor(2).ini"), add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
  • Goto File, then Save.

3) You need to set Fullscreen=1 under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options].

Ok, I placed in step 2 and step 3, but i think I might've got the patch now. Is it the update to 1b? And here's my stats again:

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

2D3D Bias=0.50

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=1

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=0

Anisotropy=16

Frame Buffer=0

Anti Aliasing=0

Texture Quality=0

Grass=0

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=0

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=1

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=0

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=0

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=0

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

Alright,

So I was pretty sure I installed the game according to your instructions, but KOTOR 2 still doesn't work. ("SWKOTORII has stopped working" after the into movies.) I'm not terribly computer literate, so it's VERY possible that I made a mistake. Here are my system specs:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=6/28/2012 10:14:21 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2993

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=10

CPUStepping=7

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel® Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=821.05GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH70N ATA Device

[Video]

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1920x1080x32 @ 60Hz

OpenGL Version=3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2696

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

Vid Card Status=Warning

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers (Conexant HD Audio)

Status=Pass

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=800

Height=600

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

Width=800

Height=600

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=1

I'm running Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.

This is one of my favorite games. Can you help me?

...Ok then. This is what it looks like when it's actually patched:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=6/28/2012 10:44:13 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2993

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=10

CPUStepping=7

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel® Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=821.05GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH70N ATA Device

[Video]

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1920x1080x32 @ 60Hz

OpenGL Version=3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2696

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

Vid Card Status=Warning

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers (Conexant HD Audio)

Status=Pass

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=800

Height=600

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

Width=800

Height=600

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=1

I don't know why it didn't work the first time I ran the patcher.

Unfortunately, the game still doesn't work, though now it lets me get all the way through character creation again, like when I first put in the game. (After I started trying to fix it, it would quit after the intro vids.) It also quits when trying to change the screen resolution in the options menu. (I don't know if that's important.)

Thanks for posting your specs. :)

Are you using the updated swkotor2.exe from SecuROM? If so, try using the original swkotor2.exe from the patch (this is why I caution people to not overwrite it in my guide).

Well, I had tried both, (And I did keep the original .exe. I may not understand computers, but I understand English. ;) )

Update: I've reinstalled the game, again (and probably more accurately) following the instructions from post 2. This time I was able to get the game to run (with the original .exe) by setting textures to "low", enabling v-sync, and disabling movies. Changing any of these options causes a crash.

Any ideas why this is? The movies play just fine when they're enabled, but then the game won't load. (Or rather it loads, then crashes on launch.)

Shouldn't setting the textures higher just make it run slower? Why would that make it crash?

Anyway, I've been reading over these forums, and it looks like a lot of people are having trouble running this game on Intel GPUs. I'm wondering: was ANYONE able to run Kotor 2 properly with a chipset similar to mine? My graphics driver is quite new, and there is no "Blit" setting.

Also, would installing a new graphics card fix this problem or make it worse? Are there specific types of cards to avoid?

It sounds like your graphics drivers are having trouble switching back and forth between different resolutions. Try messing around with the different scaling options, and make sure that 640x480 is supported. You could

And, yes, getting a graphics card would help tremendously. Since the KotOR games are so old, even a cheap one would still be able to run the games at their highest settings. Since you have a reasonably powerful CPU, a modern graphics card would be a sensible upgrade. If you're in the US, I could find you one that would suit your needs without breaking your budget. :)

Alright, I'm new here and I just got the game. I followed your directions as best I could, but it would not let me update. It gives the message: "old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found.no update done since file contents do not match."

I just bought the game within the US so I assume it is the US version. No matter what tips I follow from the forums my game still crashes right after the character creation and scrolling intro. I'm sorry, you've probably solved this problem a million times by now on the forums, but I can't seem to get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Archived