Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

I'm not able to do as you said in step 1. It simply says, that the action is denied, whenever I press the "set affinity"-tab.

Furthermore, I have done as you said in step 2 - but should I set my screen, either ingame or on my desktop, as 640x480? Because that is a bit annoying to be honest...:/

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, there is only this account on the computer :)

Is "Show processes from all users" checked?

Is Task Manager being run as an administrator (it should be in an administrator account)?

Is swkotor.exe set to run as an administrator (XP SP2 compatibility mode should not be required)?

And the last sentence - what you're saying is, that if I have added 640x480 in Nvidia's controlprogram, that is enough? I don't need to actually use it, neither in the game or my desktop ;)?

That should be enough.

640x480 support is required for the Bink movies to play.

Hello. I am trying to install Kotor on Windows 7. When I click to start the game the screen goes completely black and then I get an error message that the game has stopped working. I do not even make it to an intro screen. I am really bad with computers lol so please bear with me. My specs are:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=12/23/2012 5:00:23 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v1.03.514077

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=2

CPUSpeed=1607

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=6

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Athlon II X2 250u Processor 1607MHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=482.93GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.1.0

OpenGL Vendor=Microsoft Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GDI Generic

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Fail

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor.ini

[sound Options]

Sound Init=0

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=100

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Disable Sound=0

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

Environment Effects Level=0.60

2D3D Bias=1.50

Environment Effects=1

Environment Effects Nonstreaming=1

Environment Effects Streaming=1

[Game Options]

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=33

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

Enable Tooltips=1

Difficulty Level=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1.000000

Memory Access=1

Memory Level=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie 0=0

Movie 1=0

Movie 2=0

Movie 3=0

Movie 4=0

Movie 5=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 9=0

Movie10=0

[Alias]

HD0=.\

OVERRIDE=.\Override

TEMP=.\Temp

MODULES=.\Modules

LOGS=.\Logs

LOCALVAULT=.\LocalVault

DMVAULT=.\DMVault

SERVERVAULT=.\ServerVault

STREAMMUSIC=.\StreamMusic

TEMPCLIENT=.\Tempclient

SAVES=.\saves

CURRENTGAME=.\currentgame

TEXTUREPACKS=.\texturepacks

STREAMWAVES=.\StreamWaves

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=0

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Anti Aliasing=0

Texture Quality=2

Emitters=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

[Autopause Options]

Mine Sighted=1

End Of Combat Round=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[config]

firstrun=0

And I followed the steps on post one and post two. Any help would be appreciated! :)

1. I will install that tomorrow when I get the chance.

2. How can I do this when the game wont even start up? I thought I had to let it start then in the task manager change it?

3. Is there any way I can check that through the computer? It's quite an old card.

I'm sorry I am not very smart when it comes to computers. I do appreciate your quick response and your help. Thank you.

Q says:

Make sure to set CPU affinity to a single core.

dortiz29 says:

How can I do this when the game wont even start up? I thought I had to let it start then in the task manager change it?

Alternate way to set CPU affinity to a single core: (Kudos to SteveF, he posted this method here. It's also pinned by Q in the second post of this thread actually.)

1. Find your swkotor shortcut in the desktop.
  2. Right click on it, then click Properties.
  3. In the "Target:" box, replace everything there with this:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\swkotor.exe"

4. Again, in the "Start in:" box, replace everything there with this:

C:\Windows\System32

5. Click OK. You're done.
  6. Everytime you want to play the game, you must click this shortcut. (Duh...)

To find out what Graphic Card you use, do this:

1. Press WIN+R on the keyboard (or Start->Run),
  2. the 'Run' dialog then appears,
  3. then type 'dxdiag' without the quotation marks,
  4. the Dxdiag window will appear,
  5. Click 'Save All Information...', save the file in the desktop,
  6. Open it, just copy the entire 'System Information' section,
  7. Scroll down, skip the Dxdiags section, then copy the 'Display Device' section.

I tried to do the Dantooine lag fix and my computer won't let me. After I edit the file and then try to save it it says access denied. And I am the only user on this computer, plus I had already turned the KOTOR folder off of read. The only way I was able to change is was to drag it to the desktop and then edit the file, but it turns into a .txt file. Can I still use that?

1. I have now changed it to single core thank you :)

2. Thanks for the instructions!

Card name: Radeon X1300 / X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type:

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7146&SUBSYS_04701002&REV_00

Display Memory: 2045 MB

Dedicated Memory: 254 MB

Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: MAGNAVOX

Monitor Id: PHL4650

Native Mode: unknown

Output Type: HD15

Driver Name: atiumdag,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64

Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0630 (English)

Driver Version: 8.56.1.15

DDI Version: 9Ex

Driver Model: WDDM 1.0

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/13/2009 19:40:03, 4030976 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-3206-11CF-C471-7A24A1C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x7146

SubSys ID: 0x04701002

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: atiilhag.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64...1:ati2mtag_RV515:8.56.1.15:pci\ven_1002&dev_7146

Rank Of Driver: 00F42001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

Well, there are two possibilities for that kind of problem:

1. It's a read-only file. Double check the read-only properties of the file. OR
  2. Your access is blocked by the bloody Windows User Account Control (UAC)

You did good copying the file to the desktop. But don't change the file extension. The file must be in .ini extension. To do that, when you save your file, in 'Save as type' list box select 'All Files (*.*)' and save the filename as 'swkotor.ini' without the quotes. Then copy the file back to the swkotor directory.

If that doesn't work, Turn off User Account Control (UAC) temporarily. Then copy the file again. Then turn UAC on again.

Your graphic card by the way, should be okay to play swkotor.

There are no drivers for Windows 7 available, because ATI never produced them.

Ooops.. didn't know that.. So that's why dxdiag reports

Card name: Radeon X1300 / X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Windows 7 doesn't have a specific driver for a particular card in that family, they just throw in a lame driver that supposedly works with any of them.

dortiz, since your card is no longer supported by ATI, your best chance would be modded drivers, created by the community....

To install your modded driver you need: Mobility Modder - ATI Version

The installation process is explained there.

Then, if you want some sort of control panel for your card you need: |WIN7| Latest Catalyst Control Center for Legacy Mobility Cards. It is not a must-have, but if you want to change some advanced graphics settings, you'll need this.

The process is a bit long, but I think it's worth the effort to try it.

I'm trying to do as step 8 in post two says - I think it quite messy, but I have written this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "E:\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\swkotor.exe" /high /affinity 1 "E:\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\swkotor.exe"

The E:-path is where my swkotor.exe-file is.

However, now I can't even start the game, and the logo has changed to a cmd-file (big surprise, but still ;))

It should be..

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "E:\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\" /high /affinity 1 "E:\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\swkotor.exe"

not...

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "E:\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\swkotor.exe" /high /affinity 1 "E:\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\swkotor.exe"

It's a shortcut so you can change the icon back to malak's head..

Hey guys pretty new to this forum. Have a problem with the kotor 2 on collection. My game will not start up whatsoever, have done everything in step 2 and using the TSLRCM. I also tried patching the game, but it would not let me after I confirmed the patch. feedback wud be cool

Thanks in advance!

I have TSLRCM in my files, how do i remove it?

TSLRCM should uninstall with the rest of the game. Any leftover files/folders can be deleted after uninstallation.

And when I uninstall and reinstall will all the properties and files i changed, automatically reset to the original settings or do i have to do it all myself? Or should I have to?

I'm not sure what you mean here, but you shouldn't have to change anything.

• 1 month later...

First of all thanks a lot to you guys, you totally helped me getting Kotor 1 running on my lapotop, but now im stuck with kotor 2.

I installed and patched it all as admin and in compatibility mode Win Xp SP2 as I am running a 32bit-Vista on my laptop. After the installation, I placed the SECUROM-.exe in the folder as well as the mss32.dll. When I try to start the game now, the screen switches to 800x600 resolution automatically and shows a black screen where I can see the cursor only, so I have to open task manager and close the application.

So I thought it might have sth to do with the intro videos because the game crashes before any of it is even played, what is why I renamed the responsible files in the movie file so the videos wouldn't be played. Also I checked the .ini-file: I set width and height to 1280 and 768 because it was sth with 480 before, I don't remember the exact numbers and I changed Fullscreen=0 to FullScreen=1 in graphics options, too. Still, I start the game, it blackscreens shortly after the resolution changes and I don't get any further.

Someone got an advise for me?

• 3 months later...

Hey!

Im new to the forum. I downloaded KOTOR just 2-3 days ago and was playing fine. However, today my laptop restarted and now when i click the game, a box appears saying "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic has stopped working"....."Windows is looking for a solution".

Im running it on Vista 32 bit. So basically, after the pc restarted, its not working anymore.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived