Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this what the file directory looks like?

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Sound Init=1

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

AllowSoftShadows=1

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=0

Brightness=57

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=0

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

If you do reinstall I wouldn't just simply grab the dll fix. I'd do all the directions above. Even the parts where you install the game through compatibilty mode. Just all of it. I don't think it can hurt. Sorry if I misunderstood you, but it sounds like your just wanting to put in the dll fix and that's all. As for the NVIDA fixes I'd do them only if you still have problems. Its just smart to do one thing and check the results. Not do multiple things. If you do multiple things how will you know what action you took that made it worse. Just a smart way of troubleshooting a problem.

ya i am just just trying put in the dll fix for now to see if i can get it to work but can you tell me if what i posted above is the file directory?

and to Astro, my apologies for bugging you i am just getting desperate

What youve listed is part of a config file. The 'root directory' is simply the FOLDER KOTOR/2 is installed in :)

ie. from post #1

7. Once that file is downloaded, place it in your KotOR II's root file directory, eg: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2.

please re-read posts 1 and 2 of this thread. Qliveur also has links for securom fixes, which may address your emulation errors.

mtfbwya

I've also provided a link to the DirectX Redistributable Package. I don't think that the importance of installing this in Vista has been stressed enough. As shipped, Vista does not include a full install of DX9.0c AFAIK. I believe that DX10's backward-compatibility with DX9 is less than stellar, and that this may be the source of some of the problems that KotOR has with it. The DirectX Redistributable Package will provide a full install of DX9.0c for Vista that is separate from DX10 and won't conflict with it.

I don't think that this was sufficiently addressed because updates of this type come as second nature to people like us (I won't speak for anyone else here, but yes, I'm a geek :p), but they might not to others.

You believe. So lets just say I installed the redistributable first and it didn't put in DX10. At that point would it work to then install DX10 or would I have to uninstall this redistributable and put in D10 and the redistiributable in that order?

Yep, the redist package(Mar 2009 being the latest) will update both DX10/DX9 in vista and only DX9 in xp(as Q mentioned). If you want to see what updates it contains, unpacking it(using winrar etc) will show the contents.

Windows 7(beta) has DX11(and some degree of backwards compatibility), but I havent gotten around to testing KOTOR in it yet ;)

mtfbwya

I see. Just have DX10 and the Redistributable. Yes this is for Vista 64 Bit. Thanks. Yeah I don't get it though about this Windows 7. I mean Microsoft just came out with Vista. Why make another OS if there are still some that have not moved to Vista yet. Oh well. But wow DX11 is already out. DX11 doesn't work on Vista does it?

Also I'm not sure if that dll fix file is being hosted on filefront , but if it is being hosted on FF then someone needs to get that file hosted somewhere else so we don't lose it on this thread when FF goes down. Lets relocate the dll file if its hosted on FF before its too late.

Just have DX10 and the Redistributable.

You will only need to download and install the redistributable, regardless of your OS.

Vista came out 2 years ago. It will have been 3 years once Windows 7 is released. IIRC, DX11 will be made available for Vista.

I'm not sure, but probably around the same time that Windows7 is released, which will probably be sometime nest year(?). I think it's great. As least we don't have to worry about Vista becoming obsolete for gaming.

• 1 month later...

Okay...so I did the Mss32.dll thing and had the program crash on me. The "this operation has been aborted" thing. Then I read on and saw there was something about a fix especially for NVIDIA video cards? I think I may be blind, but where do I find this?

• 4 weeks later...

I have two problems while trying to play this game on Vista:

The first one, is the sound problem. I've replaced the Mss32.dll a lot of times but nothing. Followed the instructions here, and nothing. I only can launch the game with the Sound Disabled.

The second problem is the game get's another "stop working" error after creating my character. When the opening crawl ends, I come back to the desktop automatically.

My System:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.86 Ghz

3Gb RAM

250Gb Hard Disk

Intel GMA X3100 Graphic Card

If anyone can help me, I will be very thankfull. ;)

Archived