Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

Well, you're trying to play KotOR with an Intel GPU, which these games do not support. There's your problem right there.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, because others have managed to get it to work, but don't expect any miracles. You'll probably have to play at minimum resolution with all of the eye candy turned off, and I mean all of it. You'll also want to try what I suggested above in post #71.

Check out the Bioware and Obsidian boards as well for clues on how to get this to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, sorry to bump but I've been having KOTOR 2 problems and I found this thread on Google.

I startup KOTOR 2 and everything's okay at first. The Lucas Arts movie plays, the Obsidian movie plays, the KOTOR 2 screen shows, and then nothing. Where I should be selecting "Load game" and whatnot, there's just a black screen. There is still sound though. A few seconds later and I get a crash error prompting me to send an error report or not.

I believe the error code was 0xc0000005. I've tried fixes and nothing has worked so far.

I've looked almost everywhere, if nobody here can help I think I'm going to have to give up.

Note: My game was working fine the first time I played it. I managed to save and everything (kept backups of my saves) and now it's just not working.

EDIT: I tried updating it and it said "Old file not found" :/

If anyone is having trouble getting to the main menu, i have a bizarre fix that works every time for me- in swkotor2.ini under Game Options, change CurSithLord=0/2, to CurSithLord=3, this makes Kreia show up instead of Nihilus or Sion, and I have no idea why this works, but it does on Xp AND vista. Maybe someone else who knows programming could explain it. FYI: I run on a XPS 410 Vista Home Premium with an Nvidia geforce 9600 gso card with the latest drivers, I had to reformat back to Vista from XP after formatting to XP a few months ago, but the fix worked there too. I don't think Vista is necessarily the source, it looks like its all about the graphics cards for me anyway.

If anyone is having trouble getting to the main menu' date=' i have a bizarre fix that works every time for me- in swkotor2.ini under Game Options, change CurSithLord=0/2, to CurSithLord=3, this makes Kreia show up instead of Nihilus or Sion, and I have no idea why this works, but it does on Xp AND vista. Maybe someone else who knows programming could explain it. FYI: I run on a XPS 410 Vista Home Premium with an Nvidia geforce 9600 gso card with the latest drivers, I had to reformat back to Vista from XP after formatting to XP a few months ago, but the fix worked there too. I don't think Vista is necessarily the source, it looks like its all about the graphics cards for me anyway.[/quote']

That line wasn't in my .ini file but I added it, and...

Worked! Thank you so much! :)

I was about to uninstall but now I can actually play. I love you.

Very frustrated Dad here. We bought a super go faster computer so that my son can play his games. 2nd game that we buy is SWKOTOR2 and it will not work.

We have a DELL, Studio XPS 435MT, Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67 GHZ, with 4.0 GM RAM and 64 bit operating system. OS is Windows Vista with SP1.

I have followed your 9 steps religiously but I get a error message that SWKOTOR@ has stopped working. :mad::mad:

I have updated the Directx stuff from post #3.

What else do you recommend?

The game stops with an error message about 20 secs after starting. No graphics start - nothing - nada.

Ugh, having problems again.

I boarded the Ebon Hawk and when it says "The sith have boarded the ship", I click to attack them and then my game crashes. Any help?

Very frustrated Dad here. We bought a super go faster computer so that my son can play his games. 2nd game that we buy is SWKOTOR2 and it will not work.

We have a DELL, Studio XPS 435MT, Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67 GHZ, with 4.0 GM RAM and 64 bit operating system. OS is Windows Vista with SP1.

I have followed your 9 steps religiously but I get a error message that SWKOTOR@ has stopped working. :mad::mad:

I have updated the Directx stuff from post #3.

What else do you recommend?

What exact problem are you having and when is it happening?

Give more detail.

EDIT: OZstarwars, did you try the solution before my post? About changing the "CurSithLord"?

UPDATE : Fixed. I followed the link in posting#15 and it worked with a new dll installed. I do not know why following the instructions in posting#1 did not work, but following the instructions in post #15 did. I guess the message to other frustrated people is to stick at it.

Thanks to those who support the forum, much appreciated.

Oh and my 9 year old thinks his Dad is great!

Well, or is it Vista?

I've a quad core processor, a nVidia 9800gtx+ with the latest drivers and I'm running Vista Business, and I'm having problems with KotOR.

The fixes detailed on this forum (thanks!) work up to a point, but I get random crashes with the error message as follows:

Faulting application swkotor.exe, version 1.0.3.0, time stamp 0x00000000, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x013dda57, process id 0xe08, application start time 0x01c9fb72ec38830a.

I've tried all the fixes (that's how I got it working). Now, the fixed .exe linked on the second post won't work for me, because I've KotOR installed from the "Best of PC" disc, so it won't recognise my disc as valid. Is there a fixed executable for this?

I thought the problem was related to the multi-core processor, but setting the affinity to a single cpu didn't help. I'm way over spec on anything else, by the way!

If the problem is mss32.dll, it's identified as the faulting module, so it ain't that. Any ideas?

Edit: I should be clear that the game works fine for a while, then crashes out. There's nothing specific that seems to bring it on, except it happens more in combat than any other time. I'm on Dantooine for the first time at the moment, so I've played for a while.

KOTOR 1+2 in Windows 7 Report:

I've finally gotten around to trying Kotor 1/2 in Windows 7 :p There are varying reports of 'KOTOR in W7' around the web, though many of the ones Ive encountered were for earlier builds of W7, which did not have graphics driver support yet.

Here are the latest results if you're interested...

*Build tested: Windows 7 Release Candidate (32 bit)

*Basic specs: AMD 3.0Ghz dual core, 3GB RAM. EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB

*Graphics drivers: nvidia geforce 185.81 windows 7 32 bit drivers

*Game versions: KOTOR 1+2: Original discs (didnt apply any patches or fixes)

*Direct X Version Note: Windows 7 comes with DX11, but with more comprehensive backward compatability, including for wayward DX9 titles like KOTOR. ie. you do not have to install directX again when running these games in W7.

*Installation notes: setup.exe on install disc(one) was launched in XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode.

Nb. THE FIXES REQUIRED IN VISTA ARE NOT REQUIRED ON WINDOWS 7 = \o/

*Running the game: Did not need to set XP compat mode. Launcher starts as normal ;) Did not try update through launcher.

*Performance: played each for an hour. Worked great :) Just one tiny thing, pressing esc before the opening scroll starts for the opening cutscene kept jumping back to the desktop. Once you let it run for a couple of secs, it stopped doing that :p

Here's a screenie of K2 in windowed mode within W7

K2onW7.jpg

k1.jpg

If you try it on W7, feel free to report back, stating what hardware and graphics driver version you are using.

All in all, good news for KOTOR fans !! :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Astro and Q!

I am now enjoying KotOR on Vista in widescreen HD res 1440x900 :)

Makes me very happy!

I may not kill Bastila after all...

I'm running it on my laptop:

Mainboard: DIXONSXP DIXONSXP

Chipset: Intel GL40

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5850 @ 2166 MHz

Physical Memory: 3072 MB

Video Card: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family GMA 4500MHD

Hard Disk: TOSHIBA (250 GB)

DVD-Rom Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633A ATA Device

Monitor Type: LGPhilipsLCD - 17 inches 1440x900 pixels

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2

DirectX: Version 10.00

trying to get kotor 2 to run and i am having problems.

running vista w/sp2 and have eVga 295gtx card and fatal1ty x-fi

using alchemy 1.31 and kotor is active

installed kotor in c:games/lucas/kotor2

used nhancer to set opengl to 1.4, i think. do i need to add an executable file to profile for it to work auto when i start kotor2?

get the new swkotor2.exe

installed patch 1.0b

installed under compatability mode xp/sp2

set compatability mode for launcher and swkotor2.exe

tried the fixed mss32.dll file

have vsync on

have forced software mode on

resolution is 1600x1200 with a dell 24" lcd monitor

the game Crashes at the main menu. 1 time i got to the creation screen, and then crashed when leaving the creation screen.

any suggestions?

i tried adding, "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" to kotor'2 .ini file and it seems to have worked. I got to the beginning of the prologue this time, for the 1st time. Now it's time to do some chores and then start modding kotor2. Missed disable vertex buffer objects :( on my 1st read :lol:

Hey! I'm new to this forum thing, so please cut me some slack. I just got KOTOR 2 yesterday and have been trying to get it to work all day today. I've downloaded the fix and switched the mss32.dll onto KOTOR2, but when I open the swkotor2.exe shortcut on my desktop, it still says "KOTOR 2 has stopped working". Any ideas? I really want to play this game.

did u get a new swkotor2.exe?

if u have a nvidia vid card, did u add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" to kotor's ini under graphics

use nhancer to create a profile to force recognisition of opengl as 1.4

did u make sure launcher and swkotor2.exe are in compatability mode and areo is disabled, under compatability there is setting, check the last 3 boxes.

did u DL the manual patch 1.0b and install it

look at the 1st page and see if u did all of those steps.

Negative sun:

I'm pretty sure I ran all the steps correctly, because I had to do them twice since I unistalled the game and installed it again twice. I did run it in compatibility mode. I'm running it on vista, thought I'm not sure what kind.:confused: (I'm new to this whole vista and 'computer guy' thing. I would be able to tell you the specs if you tell me where I can view them.

Belhawk:

How do I get a new swkotor2.exe? And I don't know if I have a nvidia vid card.:ohdear: Where could I check if I have one? What's nhancer? And what's areo? I know I downloaded the manual patch. How would I install it? I did all of the steps on the first post.

Sorry to the both of you that I am an idiot at computers. I wish I knew what to do. :(

Negative sun:

I'm pretty sure I ran all the steps correctly, because I had to do them twice since I unistalled the game and installed it again twice. I did run it in compatibility mode. I'm running it on vista, thought I'm not sure what kind.:confused: (I'm new to this whole vista and 'computer guy' thing. I would be able to tell you the specs if you tell me where I can view them.

Belhawk:

How do I get a new swkotor2.exe? And I don't know if I have a nvidia vid card.:ohdear: Where could I check if I have one? What's nhancer? And what's areo? I know I downloaded the manual patch. How would I install it? I did all of the steps on the first post.

Sorry to the both of you that I am an idiot at computers. I wish I knew what to do. :(

Ok, I found the swkotor2.exe and made a shortcut for it. I don't have a nvidia card (so far as I know). And I still don't know what areo is.

Question for Evil Q:

After I download the secuRom vista fixes, do I put them somewhere? Like in the main directory for the game?

Archived