Home

[Fixed] Get KOTOR 1/2 Working on Vista

Astrotoy7

Making new post for the sake of being able to make comparisons in scans

First scan - pre-RC Mod install. US 1.0b Patch installed. Dantooine Lag Fix. Original exe. Core Affinity set to single core Game not booted hence lack of settings.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=4/3/2012 11:03:45 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2394

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=5

CPUStepping=5

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=396.71GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=1.55GB

F: (FAT32), UNICODE=85MB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=hp DVD RW AD-7721H,hp DVD RW AD-7721H ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1600x900x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2509

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel® HD Graphics

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Scan - TSLRCM installed. Rest of fixes and file states the same.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=4/3/2012 11:09:19 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2394

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=5

CPUStepping=5

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=396.15GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=1.55GB

F: (FAT32), UNICODE=85MB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=hp DVD RW AD-7721H,hp DVD RW AD-7721H ATA Device

[Video]

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1600x900x32 @ 60Hz

OpenGL Version=2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2509

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel® HD Graphics

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)

Status=Pass

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

At first blush it looks like everything worked properly this time around. Still havent booted the game though the launcher and scan shows that it is running on version 2.1

Best I can hope at this point is that everything works. I'm opting to try the original exe first at this point just because I remember it working with only patching on my old Vista laptop. I'll post of success or failure after making an attempt to get into the prologue to a playable point. For the sake of trouble shooting past that point I'll a third scan with the attempted settings.

EDIT: SUCCESS! Game loaded up properly using the original exe and I was able to reach a point where I could play the game in the prologue. I do not know what happened in previous patching, but something must have gone wrong during the install of the 1.0b patch for the game.

The only question that I have now is what does the unofficial 1.0c patch have that the TSLRCM does not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently bought both games, since I really enjoy pretty much anything related to Star Wars. I did play both games some time ago, but never completed either.

While KOTOR 1 works fine, without any adjustments/patches, however, TSL has an on/off relationship with my computer. A little while ago, the game worked, even on Win7, but now it doesn't anymore.

While all these fixes worked for those earlier cases, they don't now. Whatever fix I try, it won't start. In the Task Manager, the process "swkotor2.exe" runs but there's no CPU usage. Also, the amount of memory used ranges from approx. 10,000 - 40,000 kB after the secuRom check, depending on the compatibility mode.

The game only starts when I disable sounds, suggesting it has something to do with that (probably Mss32.dll), but I've tried all fixes I could find. Even using the .dll from the first game didn't help. Running the game unpatched or with 1.0a didn't work either (I have the EU version).

• 2 weeks later...

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and right-click on it. Select "properties", then "compatibility" and check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

The only question that I have now is what does the unofficial 1.0c patch have that the TSLRCM does not.

A bunch of stolen work. Avoid it like the plague. Just use TSLRCM.

[sWKotOR]
ReportDateTime=29-4-2012 11:59:39
SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60
GameExists=1
GameVersion=v2.10.427
GameInstallLocation=G:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]
Name=WinXP
Service Pack=None
Status=Pass

[swapFiles]
d:\pagefile.sys=6139

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=1995
CPUFamily=6
CPUModel=7
CPUStepping=10
CPUVendor=Intel
CPUName=Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
Status=Pass

[Memory]
RAM=4096
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=40.34GB
D: (NTFS), UNICODE=5.90GB
G: (FAT32), UNICODE=46.98GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=E:\,F:\
Drives=HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA Device

[Video]
Video Memory=4096
Desktop Resolution=0x0x0
OpenGL Version=3.2.9239
OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Renderer=ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
ATI Driver=(null)
Vid Card Status=Warning
Vid Card Driver Status=Fail
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=Primair geluidsstuurprogramma
Status=Pass

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=640
Height=480
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]
Number 3D Voices=16
Number 2D Voices=24
2D3D Bias=0.50
EAX=0
Sound Init=1
Disable Sound=0
Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=0
AllowSoftShadows=1
RefreshRate=60
Width=1024
Height=768
V-Sync=0
Texture Quality=2
Anti Aliasing=0
AllowWindowedMode=1

[Game Options]
TooltipDelay Sec=1
Disable Movies=0

These are mine. Still no luck. But it also gives the same errors: graphics card drivers out of date, while video isn't the problem.

Um... I think something weird just happened. A few hours after I posted the above reply, I finished KOTOR1. I then tried to launch TSL, and without any hesitation... IT WORKED!. I'm getting a little paranoid, as I believe my computer has some kind of Egyptian curse.

• 3 months later...
It's possible to alter your shortcut to automatically launch an application with the affinity you want.

The command I have in my target box of the shortcut is:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "C:\Users\Public\Games\SWKotoR" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Users\Public\Games\SWKotoR\swkotor.exe"

Obviously you'd replace the directory I have my swkotor.exe file in with the one yours is in in both places in the above line.

So it's a shortcut to the cmd.exe that launches what follows as a command. The command actually being executed is the start command, and the start command is what allows you to pick what CPU(s) to use for executing the game. The affinity integer is a bit flag, with the least significant bit representing the first CPU and going up from there.

You need to run this shortcut as administrator as well.

The actual game executables will run in compatability mode/as administrator since you should have set those properties already if you followed the steps outlined in the second post.

Since it's a shortcut to the cmd.exe, the icon will be for cmd.exe. To change it to the swkotor icon you just open the properties for the shortcut, click on the change icon button, and browse to your swkotor.exe and select the icon to change it.

Obviously this will work for any old game that doesn't work well on multiple cores.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is for Vista. I'm not sure if anything has changed with the start command on windows 7.

My KotOR is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR

So would the new line be

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR\swkotor.exe"

for me?

Also I am using Windows 7.

Hello, I'm trying to get KOTOR II working to play again with the new TSLRCM 1.8 mod, and I am having a problem with the widescreen hack, this thread seems to be somewhat active so hopefully I can get a response.

The problem is that when I install the game I don't have an option for going above a resolution of 1024x768. I think my graphics card isn't being recognized? I am running Windows 7 64 bit, if it helps whenever I install I have the issue that swkotor2.ini is only partially filled which I fix by running the game so the ini folder properly fills up.

Anyway I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, and I want to run the game on a 1600x900 resolution but I dont think uniws will work without the 1280 resolution from the game, which I can't choose, all I have is 800x600 and 1024x768.

When I scan hardware in the launcher I pass everything (obviously) except for Video for which I get a warning and it says my card is - RDPDD Chained DD 4096MB. So I'm thinking that my graphics card isn't being recognized or something along the lines. I've searched for solutions but only found the occasional mention of the same problem on other forums with no solution.

Also I would like to ask if I can't get uniws to work and need to use the Squizzy patcher, how come it doesn't include a 1600x900 resolution? It seems to have the option for every resolution but 1600x900 for me.

Any help would be appreciated, like I said I've looked around but can't really find a solution.

The reason no resolution greater than 1024x768 is available is because the next resolution is 1280x960, which is too big for your 1600x900 screen.

UniWS won't work on patched TSL without a cracked .exe, and the Squizzy patcher needs one also. The problem is that there are no cracks available that are properly patched to 1.0b, which is what TSLRCM requires to run properly.

TSL does support 1280x768 natively, but it's not available in the in-game menu, so you'll have to change the width and height values under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options] in the swkotor2.ini file. Your GPU can then scale it to your actual screen size.

Do you mean to change my ini file to have a height and width of 1280x768?

So you're saying that there is no way to run at a resolution of 1600x900 without using a crack, but there are no cracks compatible with TSLRCM?

Do you mean to change my ini file to have a height and width of 1280x768?

Yes, and the game will run that way with no further modification.

So you're saying that there is no way to run at a resolution of 1600x900 without using a crack, but there are no cracks compatible with TSLRCM?

TSLRCM was made to run with a fully patched game. There are no cracks for KotOR 2 that are patched to 1.0b with all of the fixes, so if you use one, I can't guarantee that TSLRCM will work properly.

Besides, even with a crack, you would have to set your resolution with a hex editor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

EDIT: Okay, so I replaced the Mss32.dll file, but now this is the error I get:

The procedure entry point _AIL_resume_3D_sample@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library mss32.dll

I am not fluent with this degree of technicality in the least, so any advice would be much much appreciated.

If you're using Windows 7 you don't need to replace the mss32.dll file.

Correct you are. I uninstalled and reinstalled KOTOR.

I failed the hardware scan initially, due to Windows 7 being my OS, but running the program in XP Service Pack 2 fixed the OS compatibility issue. With Disk 1 mounted, I open the launcher and it seems okay, but then it just disappears. I tried running the game file itself in the same compatibility mode, but it likewise disappears. I get the ship image, presumably while something loads, and then it just goes away.

Any suggestions for that?

EDIT: I should note that the KOTOR version I'm using is v1.00. Should I run the update? Or would that only lead to new problems in Windows 7?

You should use the manual patch, and set it to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode as an administrator.

All of the game's executables should be set like that in the original CD version.

When you say manual patch, I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. The Update section of the Launcher? Or is this something else all together? I have it set to run in XP SP2 compatibilty mode, and have tried to run it as an administrator. So I just need to use the manual patch, I suppose. But I'm not sure what that is.

EDIT: Okay, so I went ahead and ran the Update contained in the Launcher. (I figured if that was a bad call, I can easily uninstall and reinstall with no ground lost.) So it launches, checks my hardware, passes, and then drops this error of madness on me. (Screenshot it for ease: http://imageshack.us/a/img829/5156/kotorerror.png)

Is there something I should do from this point? Should I reinstall KOTOR and then do something? Thanks for all the help, it means a lot! :)

• 4 months later...
Im stickying this here to have a permanent reference to the KOTOR Vista fix. It has been around a few months, but has not made prolific progress at making the rounds...

Thank you to SD Nihil for the original heads up :)

In the tech area we quite often get queries about hardware etc from KOTOR fans querying a vista upgrade. This info will stay here for any Vista user wishing to find out about KOTOR and Vista.

Im glad I no longer have to tell people to dual boot or try figure out Linux and WINE

Ive so far tested K2 on my Vista 64 bit rig and all is working well. I will be testing K1 shortly.

Im not sure what limitations there are, or what bugs persist for the duration of the entire game. I will attempt a summary from what I glean from obsidian etc relevant threads. Feel free to report anything as you come across it.

The fix is a tiny file >> mss32.dll (372kb) HERE

I invite others with Vista 32 bit to chime in as well if theyve given this a go.

Shame on those LFN members who knew this fix and didnt spread it around better! :p

Source: Post by RenegadeSniper7 at

[Tutorial]Original Team Gizka thread link

Here's are the instructions to save you the journey/if you are lazy ;)

The instructions describe conditions where KOTOR1/2 is not installed on your Windows Vista system.

1. Insert the install disk.

2. Open up "computer" , right-click the disc drive and click "Explore", so you can have a poke around what is on the disc.

3. Find the file called setup.exe

>Right-click> select Properties.

>Click the tab labelled, "Compatibility". > Select, "run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2(SP2)"

Pic For Steps 3,4(and 9)

compatk2.jpg

4. Go farther down and also select, "Run as Administrator". In order to install KotOR II, you require admin privileges for the duration of installation to start-up. Playing it without this causes failure to launch. (Nb. if you are already logged in as an admin, this option may be grayed out.)

5. Run setup.exe. Select continue, and install as you normally would.

6. Once it is installed, you'll need to fix the mss32.dll file > this is done by simply replacing it with the fixed one from the above link

7. Once that file is downloaded, place it in your KotOR II's root file directory, eg: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2. (or wherever you have installed it)

When it says, "Move and replace", select that option. This successfully fixes the "KotOR II has stopped working" bug.

8. Almost done! Find or create a shortcut directly for swkotor2.exe. (or kotor.exe for K1 of course) This is different from the launcher file that automatically gets created.

The file is located in your root file, which is where you put the mss32.dll file.

This is as easy as right-clicking swkotor2.exe, clicking create shortcut. If windows says, "Windows cannot create a shortcut here, would you like on placed on your Desktop instead?", click yes.

9. Now, the last step!

>Right-click the swkotor2.exe shortcut you created and select Properties. >Click on compatibility , then select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP 2". and "Run as Administrator"(if not greyed out)

Good luck! I'll be back with my K1 results later, but if anyone else has had a go, please report.

mtfbwya

Hai dear Friend, i'm new in here and i want to ask about SWKotor II. Sorry for my bad english and bad introduction.

I'm having a quite a trouble when installing SWKotor 2.

My Laptop Spec:

-VGA: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

-Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (1,83 GHz)

-1526MB RAM

-Run in Windows XP

I Installed SWKotor2 with these steps:

-Install the program

-Use latest patch v1.0b

-Copy paste File .exe from Crack files to destination folder

-Run the game

But the game crashed every time i finished create a character. I;ve tried to modified the .ini files, using 3D Analysis, and none of it was successful. I run Kotor I smoothly on the same laptop but Kotor II is definitely a different story. Could you help me with this problem? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I can't install Kotor 2 .

My OS is Win 7 x64 , when i try to start the setup.exe nothing happen. I tried compability and run as admin, it doesn't work, so i can't go further than step 4.

Can someone help me ? :)

Archived