Home

[Fixed] Get KOTOR 1/2 Working on Vista

Astrotoy7

I tried to do the method described in the first two posts... twice. The first time I managed to get the game to create a character, play the starting movie, see a couple seconds of droid rebooting, and then crash. Now the game crashes right after the movie, but I can still hear the droid. Can anyone help?

This is my graphics card, as it's the only thing that didn't get the green light from the hardware scan:

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

I've turned the graphics down all the way, and followed all the instructions. What's wrong?!?!? :(

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to solve my problem with KOTOR2 launch, coz i have a "runtime error" Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, and game doesn't launch.

I used the SecuROM, and make an analys of my KOTOR2 folder, but i have a problem in step 6 to "Download the SecuROM-updated .exe's"

I don't know how to make it, coz at the end of analys, i can't download the fixed patch !! It doesn't work !!

Plz what can i do ? Thanks in advance...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems too with Windows 7, if anyone still reads this thread. Game will crash on me within about 3 minutes. I open the game, go through the tutorial, and it dies when I get to the corridor with the Sith Troopers on the Endor Spire.

I've followed the steps line by line with the Best of the PC KOTOR

EDIT: It seems W7 keeps adding the "Read Only" attribute to my folder -- is there a way to take that off and keep it that way?

I bought KOTOR2 many years ago and it ran fine on my old XP computer. I dug out my copy of the game today and installed it on my newer vista machine.

I am trying to follow the instructions on getting it to work, but the link for the mss32.dll file does not work anymore. AFAIK the mss32.dll file I need to download is a specific version or it won't work properly, and it's to do with the sound in the game? I got it to run fine with the sound disabled, but I don't want to play with no sound.... :-\

I should have explained this is KOTOR 1, updated with the 1.03 in 1st post and also with the .exe, I'll try replicating your settings once I get in from work, thanks.

Oops. I'm so used to dealing with TSL issues that I didn't even notice. People usually have less trouble getting KotOR1 to run on Vista/7, so hopefully you figured out what was wrong and got it to run OK.

I tried to do the method described in the first two posts... twice. The first time I managed to get the game to create a character, play the starting movie, see a couple seconds of droid rebooting, and then crash. Now the game crashes right after the movie, but I can still hear the droid. Can anyone help?

This is my graphics card, as it's the only thing that didn't get the green light from the hardware scan:

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

I've turned the graphics down all the way, and followed all the instructions. What's wrong?!?!? :(

Lots of eople have been having problems with that particular Intel GPU (GMA 4500) for a while, now, and I'm pretty sure that it's driver-related. If you can't set the flipping policy to "blit" with your current drivers, you'll have to roll back to an older version that has the option to do so.

I try to solve my problem with KOTOR2 launch, coz i have a "runtime error" Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, and game doesn't launch.

I used the SecuROM, and make an analys of my KOTOR2 folder, but i have a problem in step 6 to "Download the SecuROM-updated .exe's"

I don't know how to make it, coz at the end of analys, i can't download the fixed patch !! It doesn't work !!

Plz what can i do ? Thanks in advance...

You shouldn't have to do any of that. Both of the links to the updated executables in the second post of this thread still work. Just download whichever one you need from there.

I'm having problems too with Windows 7, if anyone still reads this thread. Game will crash on me within about 3 minutes. I open the game, go through the tutorial, and it dies when I get to the corridor with the Sith Troopers on the Endor Spire.

I've followed the steps line by line with the Best of the PC KOTOR

EDIT: It seems W7 keeps adding the "Read Only" attribute to my folder -- is there a way to take that off and keep it that way?

Yeah, my Windows 7 does the same thing. As long as you're sure that you've removed it, the read-only attribute should still be gone even if it says that it isn't. If you followed the installation instructions in the second post of this thread correctly, your crashing problem is most likely hardware-related. Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

I bought KOTOR2 many years ago and it ran fine on my old XP computer. I dug out my copy of the game today and installed it on my newer vista machine.

I am trying to follow the instructions on getting it to work, but the link for the mss32.dll file does not work anymore. AFAIK the mss32.dll file I need to download is a specific version or it won't work properly, and it's to do with the sound in the game? I got it to run fine with the sound disabled, but I don't want to play with no sound.... :-\

There's an updated link for that file in the second post of this thread.

Well...it's working perfectly on windows 7...with the exception of the fact that it just plain refuses to work in fullscreen mode without those ridiculous and jarring black bars. >_<

KotOR2? Try opening swkotor2.ini with notepad and set FullScreen=1 under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options].

• 2 weeks later...

KotOR2? Try opening swkotor2.ini with notepad and set FullScreen=1 under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options].

Nah it's KOTOR1, KOTOR2 won't even play and I've given up at this point. There's only so much crashing after to character creation screen I can take.

The lulzy part? It plays better now then when it was being stretched. And I've gotten used to it so...

That flipping policy setting can be changed to "blit" by clicking on "3D Settings" in the main Intel driver settings menu. The option should be there. Sorry that I didn't post this earlier, but I only got KotOR 2 installed on my cheap laptop which has an Intel GPU last night. Hopefully you'll see this and be able to get it to work like I did.

Blit? I can't get that option. I get some 3D settings it its mostly for quality and filtering. I don't have any Blit option at all. Suckage :(

LOL

I just loaded up some save games and apparently all of them load except the auto first save. /headdesk

Fabulous. Now I'm stuck playing a male. Oh well. /sighs.

It seems I spoke too soon. It broke again. /sighs

Dang it.

Edit: LOL it seems that Pergasus, Telos and Endgame break but everything else works fine. I have no clue why that happens. /sighs

1) Does your graphics control panel look like the one in Post 95?

2) Did you install the game according to the large-print instructions in Post 2?

Sadly it doesn't. Intel removed the ability to blit for some reason.

And yeah I installed according to the instructions. Its just so weird that some places work while others don't.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've tried everything listed here and nothing is working. I installed the game following all of the steps but nothing is working. The game crashes after the first cutscene and gives me trouble.

I'm running a Vista Home Premium 32 bit laptop

It has an Intel Pentium Dual Core

It's a whole chipset family, the laptop runs mainly off of intel. I don't get it, I can run games bigger than KOTOR 2 on this laptop and yet KOTOR 2 is the trouble maker. Hey I can even run Warcraft 2 on this computer (if that isn't old enough to prove old games can be run on newer systems then idk what is lol)

I read somewhere that there is a way to tricking your game into thinking it's running on the correct video card since it doesn't like Intel, but how would you do that?

I just got my game working by doing almost nothing but reinstalling the game. All I did was follow the guidelines up to updating the game, and adding in the movie and music patches and the affinity tributes along with running the game in compatibility mode. It worked like a charm!

Sith if that doesn't work try reinstalling the game in WXP2.

Patch the game and make sure to put in the movies patch also.

Next put the game on the lowest settings for graphics.

And to be on the safe side, run the game in administrative mode, and set the affinity.

After playing with my game settings I no longer have to set the affinity. It's on the lowest graphic settings and I do get the occasional lag but hey it's normall for any computer I run it on. I'm almost 100% sure that if I ran a no CD version of the game then I wouldn't have as much trouble but whatever. I do find that with my laptop things run smoother if I install the original game from the bought disc, then get the no cd crack. I had to do it for oen of my games because it wouldn't run properly with the laptop reading the game right from the disc. (stubborn much?)

• 1 month later...

Hello!

My Kotor crashed at a specific cut-scene on Korriban, right at the beginning at the port where a Sith makes fun of a few hopefuls. Right after his first spoken sentence (presumably followed by Sith-lightning), the game crashes.

So i reinstalled EVERYTHING, following your instructions TO THE LETTER (something i hadnt done with the first install simply bc i didnt know about it ;)).

after overcoming some trouble with the widescreen patch i installed all my previous Mods (of which there are many), first using KMM for the non-TSL-patchable mods to exclude conflicts, then all the TSL patchables.

I then copied my old saves back and loaded the newest (worked just fine), walked up to my old "crash site", the cut-scene starts and BANG!, Kotor crashes at the EXACT same place!

So right now I'm looking for the culprit. As to my rig:

Vista 64, SP 3

put back DX 9.0 (even though DX 10 is shown everywhere else)

Nvidia Geforce 7900 GTX

AMD Phenom 9850 Quad

RAM 6 Gigs

1) I dialed down all the graphics options to a minimum, set cpu affinity to one core, ran everything in XP compatability (yes, also during installation), no difference.

2) During Mod installation i had 10 conflicts in the Yavin 1.5 mod regarding tga, uti and mdl files for sabers and robes. Could that be the reason? i had NO 2da conflicts.

3) While playing Yavin, there was a place in the mod where the same thing happened as above, so i just didnt go there and played on... Yavin also crashed in other places when there was too much force power-use going on, but i could reload and later pass these places...

4) can i use my newest savegames even if i remove the yavin mod? and how would i do that, since it used the TSL patcher and it copied about a million files into my override.

5) There are a few unique Yavin items in my inventory. would they just vanish or would my savegame be unplayable? would it be enough for me to just use a save from BEFORE going yavin-planetside?

I seem to be concentrating on Yavin, but there may still be other reasons...

reinstalled (again...), this time without Yavin, no change, crashes in the same place!

Is there a trick to skip that specific cut scene?

Archived