Home

Favorite Signatures or Quotes

Darth_Yuthura

"In all my 50 years of public service, I have never seen a document so crowded with infamous falsehoods and distortion for a scale so huge that I never imagined until today that any government on this planet was capable of uttering them." Cordell Hull describing the Japanese declaration of war.

"Those who teach must hold themselves to a higher standard than those they judge." -Book of James

"You say that space is big, that it's an endless frontier filled with infinite wonders. Well if that's the case, you would think it would be more than enough room to allow people to leave each other alone." -Joseph Sisko

"What historians would call a lie, a politician would call a clever misdirection of the populace to achieve a greater end." -unknown

"Real courage is not the absence of fear, it's acting when you're afraid." - Chuck Yeager (not word for word)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You can go straight to hell if you're going to accuse me of a lack of commitment to this Empire, considering everything I've done around here." -Napoleon I of France

"Sometimes I feel like I've spent my entire life digging for gold in a septic tank. -Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw"

"Of course that would not only require effort, but also being in a position to get such an article published. Pretty tough, but goddamn it would piss him off. And I would laugh. Laugh from my computer chair." -Fredescu of the SomethingAwful Forums

"I really wish people could be held responsible for doomsday prophecies. As in, you make one, [and] it doesn't come to pass, we fire your rear end into space." -JoachimLPQ of the SomethingAwful Forums

"We're not dead yet." -Chuck Norris, Firewalker, 1986

I guess I wasn't really looking for the quotes themselves, but who chose what quotes. I really just gave a corsage with no distinguishable pattern of any kind. I just chose what impacts me when I see or hear it, but don't really seek such statements out. Most that I like reflect upon good leadership.

Some have chosen a single person with a lot of quotes, others have a diverse collection of words of wisdom or humor. I would like seeing more quotes from more people, but I am just interested what some people here have on the back of their minds for this sort of thing.

"You are all individuals!"

"We are all individuals!" Monty Python's life of Brian.

"Well, Ray, I find duct tape to be very useful when dealing with french clowns in traffic. If I can get my hands on the first one, I mount it to the front grill of my automobile with lots of stout, yummy duct tape so that its plaintive screams can clear other clowns out of my way farther down the road."

--Zoom Rabbit

"It is a curious thing... that every creed promises a paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for anyone of civilized taste." - Evelyn Waugh.

"Manners are especially the need of the plain. The pretty can get away with anything." - Waugh

"Of children as of procreation- the pleasure momentary, the posture ridiculous, the expense damnable." - Waugh, again, quoting Lord Chesterfield in a rather different context than was original.

"Punctuality is the virtue of the bored." - Waugh

"Don't hold your parents up to contempt. After all, you are their son, and it is just possible that you may take after them." - Waugh

"I took you out to dinner to warn you of charm. I warned you expressly and in great detail of the Flyte family. Charm is the great English blight. It does not exist outside these damp islands. It spots and kills anything it touches. It kills love; it kills art; I greatly fear, my dear Charles, it has killed you." - Anthony Blanche, Brideshead Revisited

"If you are a man of trust, one who sits in the council of his lord, direct your attention toward excellence. Your silence is more profitable than babbling, so speak only when you know that you are qualified (to do so)." - Ptahhotep.

"Do not repeat slander and do not listen to it, for it is but the prattling of a churlish man." - Ptahhotep

"If you should be sitting (as a guest) at the table of someone who is greater than you, accept what he serves when it is placed in front of you. Look only at what is right in front of you and do not stare at him constantly, for to force yourself upon him is an irritation to his spirit. Do not speak to him until he invites you (to do so), for one never knows what may be annoying." - Ptahhotep

"odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.

nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus.

"vae! puto deus fio!" - Vespasian's last words.

"The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact." - Wyndham Lewis

"The puritanic potentialities of science have never been forecast. If it evolves a body of organized rites, and is established as a religion, hierarchically organized, things more than anything else will be done in the name of "decency". The coarse fumes of tobacco and liquors, the consequent tainting of the breath and staining of white fingers and teeth, which is so offensive to many women, will be the first things attended to." - Lewis

"The ideas of a time are like the clothes of a season: they are as arbitrary, as much imposed by some superior will which is seldom explicit. They are utilitarian and political, the instruments of smooth-running government." - Lewis

"Bugger Bognor!" - King George V's last words.

"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." - Christ, Matthew 5:14-16

"I am but too conscious of the fact that we are born in an age when only the dull are treated seriously, and I live in terror of not being misunderstood." - Oscar Wilde

"There is no sin except stupidity." - Wilde

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever." - Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest

"Mr. Worthing, if you think Lord Bracknell and I would allow our only daughter to marry into a closet and make an alliance with a parcel, you are sorely mistaken!" - Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest.

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." - Orson Welles, The Third Man

"There's no art

To find the mind's construction in the face:

He was a gentleman on whom I built

An absolute trust." - Duncan, Act I, Macbeth

"Stars, hide your fires!

Let not light see my black and deep desires." - Macbeth, Act I, Macbeth

"Methought I heard a voice cry, Sleep no more!

Macbeth does murder sleep, — the innocent sleep;

Sleep, that knits up the ravell'd sleave of care,

The death of each day's life, sore labor's bath,

Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,

Chief nourisher in life's feast." - Macbeth, Act II, Macbeth

"By the pricking of my thumbs,

Something wicked this way comes: —

Open, locks,

Whoever knocks!" - Witch, Macbeth, Act IV

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing." - Macbeth, Act V, Macbeth

"Let me have men about me that are fat;

Sleek-headed men, and such as sleep o' nights.

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;

He thinks too much: such men are dangerous." - Caesar, Scene II, Act I, Julius Caesar

"Worse than war is the fear of war." - Thyestes, Seneca.

"Sir, you have but two topicks, yourself and me. I am sick of both." - Dr. Samuel Johnson, May 1776

Uxbridge: By God, sir, I've lost my leg!

Wellington: By God, sir, so you have!

- Wellington and Uxbridge at Waterloo.

"Who? Who?" - Wellington

"I don't know what effect these men will have on the enemy, but by God, they terrify me." - Wellington

"And Frenssh she spak ful faire and fetisly,

After the scole of Stratford atte Bowe,

For Frenssh of Parys was to hire unknowe." Geoffrey Chaucer, the Prioress, the General Prologue, the Canterbury Tales

"Well, Ray, I find duct tape to be very useful when dealing with french clowns in traffic. If I can get my hands on the first one, I mount it to the front grill of my automobile with lots of stout, yummy duct tape so that its plaintive screams can clear other clowns out of my way farther down the road."

--Zoom Rabbit

God I miss Zoomie ;.;

Imagination is more important than knowledge... -Albert Einstein

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible. -Albert Einstein

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill

It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time. -Winston Churchill

If you want something you've never had, you must do what you've never done. -Unknown

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. -Gandhi

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. -Confucius

He who knows others is wise;

He who know himself is enlightened. -Lao Tzu

Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers. -Voltaire

Only when you think you're so right can you be so wrong. -Unknown

Think before you think. -Unknown

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. -Yoda

An authority must be questioned if he is to lead. -Me

Questions are more important than answers because questions must be answered and answers must be questioned. -Me

There are others but I can't think of them right now...

"How World War 3 will be fought, I do not know. What I do know is that World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein, totally paraphrased. :p

"The first time I killed you, it tore my heart out. Of course, you were only a child. But then... so was I." - Lucien Fairfax, Fable II

"HARVEY WALLBANGER?" - the Doctor, The Unicorn and the Wasp

I'll think of more later.

Since I seem to love all his quotes, here's a link to a link to a bunch of quotes by my favourite philosopher, Bertrand Russell

"And then they made me their chief." - Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

"She makes a great cup of tea. Well, I say great, I mean good. Well, I say good, I mean not bad. Well, I say not bad." - Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who "Army of Ghosts"

"Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson

"And none of this seems odd to you?" - Sideshow Bob, The Simpsons

"It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for." Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who Logopolis

"No", "I said no." "It means no." - Ninth Doctor after being presented an ultimatum by the Daleks, Doctor Who "Bad Wolf"

"Inside each of those shells is a living, bubbling lump of hate." Third Doctor, Doctor Who Death to the Daleks

"Well, the gay community is a lot more vocal than the dead community." Chandler, Friends

A lolful conversation today with my friends:

"Moderating the internet is like herding lolcats." -My friend James

"Rule 102: Never try to moderate the internet." -My friend Stephan

"Rule 103: Only lolcats may moderate the internet." -Me

"Rule 104: You're not allowed to make internet rules." -My friend James

"Rule 105: There are only 100 internet rules." -My friend Stephan

"Rule 0: Rules are made to be broken." -Me

I had no idea that the level of literacy had sunk so low. :(

"Ceterum censeo Carthago delenda est!" - Cato the Elder.

2. Discuss, in latin or gothic (but not both), whether the Northumbrian Bishops were more schismatical than the Cumbrian Abbots. (Be bright.)

3. Which came first, A.D. or B.C.? (Be careful.)

4. Has it never occurred to you that the Romans counted backwards? (Be honest.)

5. How angry would you be if it was suggested

1. That the XIth Chap. of the Consolations of Boethius was an interpolated palimpsest?

2. That an eisteddfod was an agricultural implement?

6. How would you have attempted to deal with

1. The Venomous Bead?

2. A Mabinogion or Wapentake? (Be quick.)

"Uneasy lies the head that wears a throne."

A. Suggest remedies, or

B. Imitate the action of a Tiger.

Some of the best.

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it- Winston Churchill

I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it - One of the Doctor's incarnations

What about me? I saw the fall of Troy. World War V. I pushed boxes at the Boston Tea Party. Now I'm going to die in a dungeon. In Cardiff - The Ninth Doctor

Edit1: Fantastic! - The Ninth Doctor

Allons-y! - The Tenth Doctor

I am the Doctor! The original, you might say! - The first Doctor

Edit2: I believe...that when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...and then find someone whose life has given them vodka...and have a party. - Ron White

Edit3: my all time favorite simpsons quote

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!

Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts!

Homer: Explain how!

Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services!

Homer: Woo-hoo!

Edit4: If you were any other man I would Kill you where you stand! - Worf

Mr worf, you're no fun at all. - Garak

Four thousand throats my be cut in one night by a running man - a Klingon saying

Ok, here we are again, me combining your unnecessary posts... posting in a thread with the clear intention to bloat your post count is spam, you are doing so here, while some may be free to do this as they don't "rock the boat" with your recent warnings you can't post like this anymore. Having a conversation or a debate is one thing, but what you are doing here and in many threads is simply padding your post count, perhaps a re-think of your posting habits is in order.

The time of warnings and these friendly reminders is over Chev, the next spammy post I see by you and you'll simply get a 5-point infraction... per post. Mkay? -RH

“Do or do not... there is no try.” ~Yoda

“Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.” ~Yoda

"... who writes your dialogue, Herb? Of course I have a plan! I'm the badguy! We always have a plan!" ~ Tempus, from Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

That show is a ridiculously lame televised comic book, and the writers knew it. The Tempus villain was easily the best of the lot, even of those from the comics, simply because he was written to be as camp as humanly possibly. :xp:

"What awaits me in the cave?"

"Only what you take with you."

~ Luke Skywalker and Master Yoda

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

~ Einstein

"Revenge is a kind of wild justice; which the more man's nature runs to, the more ought law to weed it out."

~Francis Bacon, Of Revenge

Posner: "I'm Jewish. I'm homosexual. And I'm in Sheffield... I'm ****ed"

The History Boys by Alan Bennett

"Ceterum censeo Carthago delenda est!" - Cato the Elder.

"sum mercator Graecus: [this is the clincher on the deal] sum mercator probus"

Would you trust this man?!

Archived