Home

zOMG! GW Bush and the Flying Shoe

Astrotoy7

Ive quickly popped back in from my annual vacation as this was too good to resist..

Whatever anyone thinks of GW Bush, his policy or his basic lack of intelligence, he has awesome ducking skills:

A journalist hurled two shoes at US President George Bush on his farewell visit to Iraq on Sunday, highlighting the hostility still felt towards the outgoing US leader who acknowledged that the war was still not won.

Muntazer al-Zaidi jumped up as Mr Bush held a press conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and shouted: "It is the farewell kiss, you dog." Then he threw his footwear.

The President lowered his head and the first shoe hit the US and Iraqi flags behind the two leaders. The second was off target.

Zaidi, a reporter with the Al-Baghdadia channel that broadcasts from Cairo, was immediately wrestled to the ground by security guards and frogmarched from the room.

Soles of shoes are considered the ultimate insult in Arab culture.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX-dKpcDz8

what a way to sign out on Iraq G!

mtfbwya

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh! Many Iraqis deal with far worse everyday...

With the usual over reacting zeal of the Bush Administration, I wonder if future Presidential Press Conferences will require all reporters to remove their shoes.

Reminds me of an aviation meeting several years ago where someone joked about airlines soon being obliged to force passengers to wear straight jackets.

Meh! Many Iraqis deal with far worse everyday... [/Quote] QFT

[/Quote]

I thought of that when I first saw the guy throw the shoes yesterday.

I also believe Darth333 video shows the journalist technique was flawed. If he would have used the Frisbee method perhaps he would have had better results.

Ya, I watched that on the news this morning. I was really surprised at the slow reaction time of the secret service.

I remarked about this several times today, actually. If that had been a weapon, I sincerely doubt that Bush would've left that conference unharmed. I wonder why the Secret Service wasn't stationed inside the room itself, or at least in view of the cameras (perhaps places outside their range on purpose?).

Agreed. The guy had time to throw the second shoe, which really makes me wonder.

QFT.

Archived