Home

X-box 360 technical query

Darth_Yuthura

I'm not familiar with Xbox 360 and recently got a hard drive off Amazon and it's causing the Xbox to crash upon boot up. I have no issues with anything other than the HD, but I don't know if it's a hardware problem or not.

All internet sources don't really address installation problems, but I heard that there was an internet download or process that could resolve any software problems. I have nothing on the drive at all, but it might have bad data on it. I'm also not connected to any PC or Xbox live.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

-This is NOT the drive that came with the console. It is exotic. I have no problem with wiping any data on the drive if there is a solution that would result in that.

-Nope, not official. Can't get them to send a new drive and can't get a refund from the seller.

-I do get the red lights of death in the (1,4,1,4) light pattern... hardware dilemma.

-I'm really not that concerned if there is a problem with the hard drive... providing that replacing the 2.5 drive would make a difference. If that is the problem and not the casing for the X-box 360, then I will get a replacement. If there could just as likely be a software problem, I would like to ensure it is confirmed/solved before I buy another.

Thanks.

What brand is it? From what I'm seeing it looks like you must use a Western Digital Scorpio SATA BEVS HDD (LAT version).

You'll also need to grab a file (hddss.bin) off of an official xbox harddrive.

Full Instructions Here.

Thanks, I'll try that... if I can ever configure my Xbox to interface with our network connection!

Is there any way to start up the box without having the HD attached and download the file via USB or something? I just don't know how, if the HD causes a crash upon startup, I can download the hddss.bin to the drive. It is not supposed to be attached while the xbox 360 is operating and doesn't have another means to store the data, is there?

PS: I appreciate your advice. I am very new to this (obviously) and someone threw both the instructions and packaging away. And the xbox site doesn't seem to have that much I find helpful.

Alright, I'm dense.

I have looked at a number of websites that address hddss.bin, but I see none that describe how I can access that drive other than removing the outer casing and attaching it to "your PC via SATA." Is it POSSIBLE to upload and format this without removing the HD from the casing at all? I was advised not to open it for risk of damaging internal components and don't even know if I can do this via Apple computer.

The hard drive causes the box to crash upon startup as well. Is there a means to bypass the drive in the startup process instead of having to remove the xbox hard drive from the case or with an Apple?

Thanks

Archived