Home

Holiday Traditions

LordOfTheFish

Well, my whole family generally sleeps in - which isn't odd for my Dad or brother, but for Mum and I it's rare. We have brunch, do presents between the four of us, then go to dinner at Grandma's.

On Christmas Eve, we usually watch the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol - easily the best version ever filmed, no contest. I've also taken to watching the 2005 Doctor Who Christmas Special, The Christmas Invasion.

On every 23rd of December, I go into the crawlspace and bring out an aluminum pole. And that pole becomes the centerpiece of the house, replacing the Christmas tree. At night, there is a large dinner. After everyone has settled down at the table, it is time for the Airing of Grievances, where each person tells one thing that they dislike about every individual. After dinner is served and eaten, it is time for the Feats of Strength, where two males try to pin each other down on the floor. Yes, it surely is a festivus for the rest of us.

:)

The Christmas Invasion.
lolz. On the 24th it is usually just me an my parents (I'm an only spoiled child and I love it - to some extent- ) -Seems like I'll travel to their town this year and mom insists on doing a traditional dinner (stuffed turkey based main course, meatpie and "Bûche de Noël").

On the 25th, we usually travel to my uncle's to a party which often involves nd "crazy" family members, local politicians (it's priceless to see the latter fall on their "lower backside parts" on the ice skate ring when the weather allows it) and some tv people. I have to admit that as much as I love my family members, spending 5-6 hours seating at a table on the 25th tends to make me somewhat impatient and short of conversation with some people :p (there are good times too lol)

I celebrate the holidays because I'm a pastafarian, the religion currently winning the war on Christmas in most major department stores. When relatives visit for holiday/Christmas, I usually spend my day swimming myself to exhaustion in the morning, then keeping my younger cousins entertained for the rest of the day while trying to keep myself from smashing my head against the nearest metal object to end the "entertaining".

Since you didn't specify a specific holiday, I think that we are going to continue to do what we did this year for Thanksgiving--not have a turkey. We had some delicious spare ribs.

We have turkey several times throughout the year, so I am really not missing anything.

Christmas is my little sisters birthday, so we generally celebrate that. Really quite a low key day.

BYW. BACK YARD WRESTLING...no weapons please (that's for summer!). Not strictly tradition.

I liked doing a shooting star press off of my roof into a huge pile of snow, and stunts and stuff. Even messing with cars for some things. Car drags sled. Jump off moving truck into berm. For wrestling, fun with chairs and tables.

Unfortunately, my pals and I have not been able to do this because the snow hasn't been plentiful.

So we just get "smashed and stuff" anymore--not literally.

I would not recommend this kind of play to just anyone though. Stunt work, martial arts and other training to spring out from and/or avoid injuries is a must.

However, if we do any crazy stuff like drive by spankings, a trash talking documentary, or white bigfoot in a green thong or something, I'll be sure to post to youtube. LOL

Two years ago, we moved a few hundred miles away from the relatives, but we still keep our old ways of going to my grandfather's house with the cousins on Christmas Eve. Pap gets a meat and cheese tray and stokes a fire, and we have a cozy evening with each other. We usually get home around midnight, get to bed by one, and get up somewhere between eight and noon to open presents.

Well, my extended family and I like to give eachother presents {that's obvious} but also, we play a game called White Elephant. It is where there are 10 adults and 10 presents. The game is where the first person picks a present and opens it. The next person going can either grab an unopened present, or take the present that the first person has. This take-or-grab game continues until there are no more presents. Very simple but fun!

On every 23rd of December, I go into the crawlspace and bring out an aluminum pole. And that pole becomes the centerpiece of the house, replacing the Christmas tree. At night, there is a large dinner. After everyone has settled down at the table, it is time for the Airing of Grievances, where each person tells one thing that they dislike about every individual. After dinner is served and eaten, it is time for the Feats of Strength, where two males try to pin each other down on the floor. Yes, it surely is a festivus for the rest of us.

:)

Any respect you had previously shattered has now been regained.

Wake up at about 8:00am gripping my throat and wondering for a brief second why I have the urge to guzzle a bucket of ice cold water, followed briefly by the memory of how much I had to drink at the local the night before, and a four hour stumbling session during which wrapping paper is at some point unwrapped, lots of noise takes place, and my senses finally come to as I realize what day it is.

Longrunning Geordie tradition.

I don't even have the present wrapped Christmas Eve. My tradition is I stay up late Christmas Eve watch “It’s A Wonderful Life” and “A Christmas Story” and wrap the presents.

Fixed. :xp:

Well, my extended family and I like to give eachother presents {that's obvious} but also, we play a game called White Elephant. It is where there are 10 adults and 10 presents. The game is where the first person picks a present and opens it. The next person going can either grab an unopened present, or take the present that the first person has. This take-or-grab game continues until there are no more presents. Very simple but fun!

Yep. My family's done White Elephant for a few years now. It's very fun, though.

Archived