Home

Companions

DAWUSS

OK, so there has been some talk about companions in TOR. How will they work? Are they going to be NPCs or some people who you hope will tag along and hopefully be online whenever you are? Will each NPC be unique for each player (in other words, if I have Tyrena the Twi'lek masseuse, is anyone else in the game going to have her?)

Me, if we're having NPC companions, as of right now, I'm considering one Jedi and some eye candy for my character (who isn't going to be a Jedi).

Hopefully NPCs like in TSL, where the Influence system would come into play. And I don't want them to be the run in the mill sub-par NPCs, I means ones with individual habits and eccentricities; you know, actual characters. Or perhaps I'm wishing too hard; This is an MMORPG, after all, when I'mreally dreaming of a SPRPG. :xp:

Pretty sure they will be NPCs. The thing I am worried about is seeing many of the same companion. If they can be influenced like has been said, there can only be so many options which makes it sound like there will only be so many companions we can choose from. Hopefully to help avoid seeing duplicate companions their appearance can be customized like your own, or at least be able to give them a unique name.

Hopefully NPCs like in TSL, where the Influence system would come into play. And I don't want them to be the run in the mill sub-par NPCs, I means ones with individual habits and eccentricities; you know, actual characters. Or perhaps I'm wishing too hard; This is an MMORPG, after all, when I'mreally dreaming of a SPRPG. :xp:

Yeah, I would like to have an individual with thoughts, feelings, and skills, and not just a face and a weapon. I would like to be able to spend some down time (when I'm not doing the KLR cycle) having a moderate to lengthy conversation with that companion.

Pretty sure they will be NPCs. The thing I am worried about is seeing many of the same companion. If they can be influenced like has been said, there can only be so many options which makes it sound like there will only be so many companions we can choose from. Hopefully to help avoid seeing duplicate companions their appearance can be customized like your own, or at least be able to give them a unique name.

I agree. Like I mentioned, if I have Tyrena the Twi'lek, I don't want everyone else having Tyrena the Twi'lek. That would just ruin any RP that I'm trying to have.

Concerning your companions, I'm fairly sure that they'll be NPCs, but, much to my distress, I fear that the 'Influence' part of the game shall take its place in the pile of discarded goods from previous games.

And such a system would be ideal considering the dynamic element of the MMO. When your influence drops below a certain level for a period of time, they simply decide to bolt and not come back.

Concerning your companions, I'm fairly sure that they'll be NPCs, but, much to my distress, I fear that the 'Influence' part of the game shall take its place in the pile of discarded goods from previous games.

Actually, Bioware has never used Influence in their games. Only Obsidian has done that.

Actually, Bioware has never used Influence in their games. Only Obsidian has done that.
Which is why I'm not expecting anything from fantastic from BioWare when it comes to dialogue and NPC development. It'll probably be the run-in-the-mill lackey with a [insert tragic loss here].

I'm not so sure. Bioware is a great RP maker, and they have been working on this for a WHILE. I'm betting there will be great dialog in the game.
Doubt it. Ever played NWN? :migraine:

I'll expect them to make an average RPG, which is what they've been good at for awhile. But that's the problem, they make average games, nothing spectacular, such as Obsidian and KotOR II.

I taste the bitterness of a none obsidian sequel...

I'm happy that Bioware had the chance to reclaim some form of the KotOR franchise, although the fact that it's an MMO destroys the chances of it even being half the game KotOR was IMO.

I hope the Companion aspect will let you have some semblance of a SP game, that and crafting your own items, I refuse to rely on and "Have" to interact with other players to progress.

I taste the bitterness of a none obsidian sequel...

I'm happy that Bioware had the chance to reclaim some form of the KotOR franchise, although the fact that it's an MMO destroys the chances of it even being half the game KotOR was IMO.

I hope the Companion aspect will let you have some semblance of a SP game, that and crafting your own items, I refuse to rely on and "Have" to interact with other players to progress.

I thought that was one of the core elements on an MMO - the relationships with other people.

I thought that was one of the core elements on an MMO - the relationships with other people.

it is friend, I just dont like other people :p j/k I just like to think that I can get what I want from the game, a game (although not in this form) I've been waiting 5 years for :) I'm playing this as a KotOR/Star Wars/Old Republic(era) fan, not as a Casual/try anything once/mmo fan

I remember a BioWare interview where it had been said that you can only take one companion with you at a time, and it'd be best to stick with that one throughout the game. I'd hate it if that's true. The moments where two of your companions interacted, both in KotOR and TSL, were priceless. And sticking with only one because he'd be jealous you take someone else with you, I stupid also. It would work if some companions left at the end of the game, because your ideology doesn't stroke with theirs (cf. NWN2). But... since this is an MMO, it has no end, so I guess that's out of the question.

About the characters personalities and stories: I expect the archetypes BioWare is known for. And I think we've all seen that by now. Let them also do something about the dialog. It's often hollow and uninspired, sometimes being plain awful. If they have to start somewhere, start with the companions. I hope, with the amount of writers they have now, there's at least one who has a different approach than the other BioWare writers. If we have to go by Dragon Age, then... no.

About the companions being unique to you: I imagine something like the companions of other players showing a default NPC skin, different from any companion in the game, so that your companions will always be unique, to you and to everyone else, while still all being the same. Don't know if that's possible, though.

It would work if some companions left at the end of the game, because your ideology doesn't stroke with theirs (cf. NWN2). But... since this is an MMO, it has no end, so I guess that's out of the question.

Actually this is something they have said was in game. It was in one of the interviews. If you make too many decisions that your companion disagrees with they can leave.

I remember a BioWare interview where it had been said that you can only take one companion with you at a time, and it'd be best to stick with that one throughout the game.

Odd, I thought you could have more, but only 1 active following you around.

Doesn't sound that great... still logical aswell its a MMO, so they'll limit the chance you would play this as a SRPG.

Guid Wars has these bots and heroe characters, but once in awhile you come across a quest thats hard to do with'em and you really need help from other players.

This companion thing is sort of my only hope that this game will be something more then a regular MMORPG.

it is friend, I just dont like other people :p j/k I just like to think that I can get what I want from the game, a game (although not in this form) I've been waiting 5 years for :) I'm playing this as a KotOR/Star Wars/Old Republic(era) fan, not as a Casual/try anything once/mmo fan

Oh me too, but I wouldn't want to pay a monthly fee just to play (essentially) a single-player game.

Odd, I thought you could have more, but only 1 active following you around.
Yeah, that's what I meant. What's bothering me: can you interact with those other companions in cities (à la Ebon Hawk) or not? I'd be a shame if you could only establish a relationship with the companion you take with you.

Actually this is something they have said was in game. It was in one of the interviews. If you make too many decisions that your companion disagrees with they can leave.
That's why I said at the end of the game. ;) Though I guess it'd make sense they leave you at some point in the game if they disagree with you one too many times. However, this is something they promised in Mass Effect, too. To my knowledge, that never got through.

Yeah, that's what I meant. What's bothering me: can you interact with those other companions in cities (à la Ebon Hawk) or not? I'd be a shame if you could only establish a relationship with the companion you take with you.

Lets hope its a bit like that and if IIRC you might get side-quests from these companions aswell. Lets hope these are deeper then most Bioware games before.

Remembering Wrex from ME I was a bit dissapointed I didn't get more out of the guy/ reptile.

Even after his side-quest thing.

Anyway we'll see in a few months if Bioware holds true to this more "story" driven MMO.

Remembering Wrex from ME I was a bit dissapointed I didn't get more out of the guy/ reptile.

Same here. I hope for ME2 that they will add a little more depth to some of your companions. (Obviously, Liara and Ashley/Kaiden would be the most explored... if you knew what went on in the game :p)

Now a story driven MMO doesn't seem like a very... plausible idea, unless there will be a universe filled with side quests. Companions might be the closest thing to a real K3 that we'll get, unless they announce something really important that'll change most of our minds about the MMO.

I'm sure BioWare would of come up with something like influence if they did KOTOR II. It's a lot easier to improve upon a game rather than come up with an entire new one - not to mention as time goes on, technology gets better.

I don't know - Bioware's writing has also seemed pretty good to me. Only on occasions did ever seem bad to me.

Archived