Home

Empire: Total War

Astor

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Gallery

Or am I too much of a history nerd? Of course, it won't be terribly accurate till some mods come out, but it's still an 18th Century Strategy game! Colonies! Guns! And 3D Naval Battles!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - System Requirements & Steam

Originally Posted by Creative Assembly

The minimum system specifications for Empire: Total War are:

Operating System: Windows XP 32(service pack 2), Windows Vista 32 OS.

Processor: 2.4 GHz Single Core Intel or AMD equivalent processor.

System Memory: 1GB RAM (XP) 2GB RAM (Vista).

Graphics Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (shader 2.0 or higher).

Sound Card: Directx9.0c compatible sound card.

Windows compatible mouse & keyboard.

15 GB free uncompressed hard drive space.

I believe i've neglected to mention that all versions (Retail and Download) of E:TW will require the use of the Steam Content Delivery System by Valve Corporation in order to install and play.

The reasons for this are two-fold:

To enable updates to be installed quickly

To facilitate multiplayer when the patch containing it is made available

And, possibly, thirdly, to prevent piracy.

If you do not have Steam, you can obtain it here, although it is likely that the retail versions will include it on the disc.

It is, however, important to note that you won't have to be online all the time to play E:TW - you can run Steam in 'offline' mode, and still play.

AK.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with being a history nerd! It looks like marvellous fun! And warships for the first time, which is a great concept, in my opinion. This era would be almost dead without naval combat, of course. I'm very interested to see how it will work, to see if it can be as enjoyable as the land-based battles.

Also, I saw a video of the design stage, when they were demonstrating the individual combat between units - the responses of each to the other's attacks were very impressive.

I'm guessing the map will be expanded, not only to the Americas but also out towards India (at least). That should add an interesting element to the grand campaign.

Looking forward to leading the British Empire to victory! :D

I'm guessing the map will be expanded, not only to the Americas but also out towards India (at least). That should add an interesting element to the grand campaign.

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember mention of the map containing the entire world...

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember mention of the map containing the entire world...

That would be good - campaigns in Rome: Total War lasted a few days normally, Medieval II took a couple of weeks - I can see months disappearing with that!

Of course, I will have to cry for a while due to the final end of the Roman Empire (at least the Eastern Empire was still standing in the Medieval II timeframe), but once I get over that (or find a way to mod it in), it should be fun.

That would be good - campaigns in Rome: Total War lasted a few days normally, Medieval II took a couple of weeks - I can see months disappearing with that!

To be sure. And with the new revolution mechanics, it may take even longer. Up till now, i've wasted time with Imperial Glory - a poor man's Empire, if you will, but now, I can really go mad.

Of course, I will have to cry for a while due to the final end of the Roman Empire (at least the Eastern Empire was still standing in the Medieval II timeframe), but once I get over that (or find a way to mod it in), it should be fun.

If Italy is a faction, you could carve your own, new Roman Empire, or use another faction!

And with the new revolution mechanics, it may take even longer.

I didn't know about that - Rebel settlements in the other entries in the series were hard enough to keep down (especially those Gladiator revolts:(), now revolutions?! Ah well, no mercy for the provincials then, I suppose!:xp:

If Italy is a faction, you could carve your own, new Roman Empire, or use another faction!

It's veeeery hard to resist the promise of leading the British Empire!

I've noted the flags of America, France and Britain - I wonder which others will be present (and playable)? And if there will be democratic leaders (particularly for the British faction, what with Parliament becoming more powerful than the Crown in that era)?

Hope so, anyway.

BTW - any word on a release date?

I've noted the flags of America, France and Britain - I wonder which others will be present (and playable)?

The big three of course - Great Britain, Prussia and France, as well as

The United Provinces

The Ottoman Empire

Spain

Russia

Sweden

And possibly some more - i'm expecting the 13 Colonies to be in there too.

And if there will be democratic leaders (particularly for the British faction, what with Parliament becoming more powerful than the Crown in that era)?[/Quote]

From Wikipedia:

Changes in government may occur during the campaign as the rise of democracy over the traditional rule by monarchy becomes an issue in the early modern time period.[9] For instance, the United States may only come into existence if the ruling British Empire is unable to maintain social order. Another example is that the French Revolution may occur if the people of France are no longer satisfied with their sovereign.[7]

Also, Diplomats, Spies and Assassins are out - replaced by Gentlemen and Rakes. Gentlemen conduct negotiations and challenge people to duels, while Rakes act as the spies and Assassins. So both agents can now remove obstacles.

BTW - any word on a release date?

Was Feb 9 for the UK, but it's now March for everywhere. :(

Looks great' date=' especially looking forward to give Napoleon a beating[/quote']

Indeed - time to give old Boney a taste of good ol' British steel too, eh? o_Q

...and fight for the survival of the Ottoman Empire.

Still sore at them for killing off Byzantium...:snear:

Indeed - time to give old Boney a taste of good ol' British steel too, eh?

Sure, just need to kill some britts to get that steel:D Seriously though, I have never really liked the "main" nation(s) in TW, so I hardly ever play as anything from western Europe. It's just a lot more fun using nations with terrible unit selection (okay, there are exceptions like Boyar Sons). it's also about changing history in a big way. Which means I'll make one exception for Brittain, in the American war of independece:D

It's just a lot more fun using nations with terrible unit selection (okay' date=' there are exceptions like Boyar Sons).[/quote']

Fortunately, in this Era, most units should be pretty similar...

After all, men with guns shooting at other men with guns isn't too different, right? :p

Huh, yeah, I'm anxious for this one. Been a fan of he series since the first Medieval. Loved when they moved to Rome and then the improvements made at the second Medieval. I'll especially like Empire if they remove those "always happens" events, like plagues on X place, at X turn every time you play. If such events were randomized, I think the game would be even more unpredictable.

While I have no doubts the turn-based campaing will be great as always, I'm not as sure with the real-time battles. I trust the devs experience at this, but we'll fight naval battles for the first time, and they look like a major part of the game, so let's see how it goes.

While I have no doubts the turn-based campaing will be great as always, I'm not as sure with the real-time battles. I trust the devs experience at this, but we'll fight naval battles for the first time, and they look like a major part of the game, so let's see how it goes.

Well, strong navies were important in the period - they protected the trade routes to the colonies, fought piracy, and protected the various Colonial Powers' interests abroad.

It's a shame that the period doesn't start from 1600, instead of 1700, as only a few centuries is relatively short to play around in - but I guess that there's the Spanish Succession, the Seven Years War, the War of Independence, French Revolution, and plenty of other conflicts to keep everyone occupied. :)

This game looks very interesting, however, the lack of naval units (currently) on their page has me a tad worried: I want my first-raters to beat the enemy fleet into a humiliating submission. Of course, the units in general are looking pretty... lacking right now, so I hope that more are added for the sake of gameplay.

This game looks very interesting, however, the lack of naval units (currently) on their page has me a tad worried: I want my first-raters to beat the enemy fleet into a humiliating submission. Of course, the units in general are looking pretty... lacking right now, so I hope that more are added for the sake of gameplay.

If there aren't too many units, you can be sure some mods will come out to introduce more, and make the game more historically accurate. :).

• 4 weeks later...

Poland-Lithuania has now been confirmed as a playable faction - I'd expected they would be in there.

There's also a Limited Edition Special Forces Edition, which contains special units -

HMS Victory

Roger's Rangers

Ottoman Organ Gun

Ghoorkas

Corso Terrestre Guerillas

Bulkeley's Regiment (French-Irish Brigade)

I don't normally pre-order games, much less special edition versions, but I'm making an exception in this instance.

Oh, and the release date is March 3rd.

HMS Victory

:emodanc:

That in itself makes it worthwhile.

What, no Sharpe's Rifles? :lol:

I don't normally pre-order games, much less special edition versions, but I'm making an exception in this instance.

Oh, and the release date is March 3rd.

Thanks for that Astor - I may have to pre-order now too!

What, no Sharpe's Rifles? :lol:

Sharpe's overrated. :xp:

There'll be Riflemen, i'm sure, though.

Thanks for that Astor - I may have to pre-order now too!

You're welcome. If you're pre-ordering online, GAME have it at £34.99 (a saving of £10) and double reward points.

Archived