Home

Its just an mmo now?

SD Nihil

Well look on the bright side Rabish. At least this shows that Lucasarts hasn't forgotten us fans. Though it shows they still want money more then our happiness.

But anyway. Again there is another silver lining. Maybe after this MMO starts to decrease in popularity they will make a REAL Kotor 3 to try and win back fans

Don't count on it. If the mass exodus of the SWG fans didn't make them roll back the NGE, I doubt declining subs would convince them to make a game they will only be able to make money on for a few years. Think about this: SWG even as bad as it is, is still bringing money in for LA and SOE. KotOR isn't bringing in near as much. Galaxies is 5 years old. Even if we were to take the low estimate of SWG of 20k subs, that's still $300k per month.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been an estimate of 120k subs for SWG, but I guarantee a majority will move over or at least open an account with tOR. And that's what piss's me off, I don't hate SWG player's 'cause I'd be hating myself, but they come by the thousand, would be amused by a brick in the middle of a field on a rainy day, have no idea of/Care for canon (Some exceptions of course), and there gonna pay LA/Biowares wages twofold.

So KotOR fan's complaints on genre, content, style and canon, will not be taken into consideration because 70% of there Player base have no investment on what went before, and have the money and time to play it.

So from what I understand it TC, you see TOR as a fresh new MMO for the SWG fans and not necessarily for us KOTOR fan? That bites. I wish there was something w could do. But if you guys don't think a petition or something like that can't help I'm not sure if we can do anything to effect this. I thought they'd listen to something like that like Blizzard really cares about their communitiy's wants

I fail to see a strong resemblance. LA's excuse in the TFU department was based on supposed technical limitations, whereas in this case Bioware/LA is trying to convince the K3 enthusiasts that this MMO can function in KOTOR 3's place (a concept which as I stated above, I don't think even they themselves believe).

On both cases they give us weak excuses to justify their actions. It remains to be seem if the last one is real or not.

I'm glad Kotor 3 is going to be a MMO. Makes way more sense than making it a SPRPG.

With a single player RPG you get:

• A Release
  • 50'ish hours of game play
  • Maybe an expansion

With an MMO you get:

• New patches including: Bug Fixes, New Content.
  • 400 + hours of game play (Bethesda is the only company that can almost pull that in a single player game.)
  • Being able to play with your friends
  • Expansions, Lots of expansions.
  • A character that you actually feel attached to.

Once again, look at World of Warcraft, the game looks nothing like the original release. They just added an expansion that has more content than Both the Kotors put together, on top of the Base game, and the previous expansion.

You also get a character you enjoy playing as. The day I made my shaman, I knew this would be my favorite character. I leveled him all the way to the max level. After 1,400 hours of gameplay, I have become a little attached to my dude, more than I ever did on any of my kotor characters.

I refuse to acknowledge TOR as a KotOR III

:carms:

Sure thing, keep waiting, the rest of us will be playing it.

What I'm sayin is mods allow the fans to grow and give life to their community. MMOs which are totally controlled by the game's company that lifespan and content is solely controled by them.

Take a look at the World of Warcraft forums, 11 million people is quite a large and growing community.

The companies going to be making new content all the time. There work is going to be amazing quality. It's their game, let them do what they choose with it. If you want mods and user made content, Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have HUGE communities.

I fail to see a strong resemblance. LA's excuse in the TFU department was based on supposed technical limitations, whereas in this case Bioware/LA is trying to convince the K3 enthusiasts that this MMO can function in KOTOR 3's place (a concept which as I stated above, I don't think even they themselves believe).

Stop using the big bad corporation argument, not every company in the world is out to crush the gamers and take there money. Bioware has only let me down once, Mass Effect, which, judging by reviews, I'm alone in that matter.

Bioware is going to make a great MMO, and if they don't, It'll be all patched up within a week.

Unless The Old Republic can be played without a monthly fee I will never play it. I already have xbox live, a much cheaper 50 dollars a YEAR. I would love for The Old Republic to be the first MMO I play but I'm just not sure its worth it. Bring me Kotor III, no MMO please! One can only dream.

Judging by the game currently listed on your gamertag, you've already paid for almost 2 years of my World of Warcraft subscription.

• New patches including: Bug Fixes, New Content.
I thought we got those with SRPGs too.

400 + hours of game play (Bethesda is the only company that can almost pull that in a single player game.)
Maybe not on a single playthrough, but I have surpassed that mark on K1 easily. Plus, are those hours meaningful? They also must be fun.

Being able to play with your friends
Cool.

Expansions, Lots of expansions.
Money, lots of money.

A character that you actually feel attached to.

?

Never got that from an MMO, in turn, I've identified myself with a lot of SRPG characters.

TOR is NOT KotOR 3.

It's their game, let them do what they choose with it.

I bought it, so it's my copy.

If you want mods and user made content, Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have HUGE communities.

So if I want apples you'll give me oranges?

Bioware is going to make a great MMO, and if they don't, It'll be all patched up within a week.

That easy to make/fix an MMO, huh?

I thought we got those with SRPGs too.

Compare this to this. On top of that, they hae a whole seperate client where you can test out the up and coming patch, and so the developers can get some feedback from the players. Figuring that's just the 3.0 patch notes, I'd say WoW wins in the patches and new content department.

Mass Effect got a bonus quest as DLC. World of Warcraft got another 1000 hours of gameplay for 40 dollars.

Maybe not on a single play through, but I have surpassed that mark on K1 easily. Plus, are those hours meaningful? They also must be fun.

I'd measure that by a games total completlion time, the first time you do it. Took me around 20 to 25 hours with K1, and probabbly 30 to 35 hours with TSL. Mass Effect was done in 15 hours, and I still haven't really finished oblivion, after 200+ hours.

Oh, they we're plenty meaningful, correction, still are in fact, see, I've seen probably a quarter of the content of WoW after 1,400 hours.

Key thing I like about WoW is your not the center of the universe. You just another player trying to get to your specific goal amongst the 11 million other people doing the same thing, meanwhile, in a SPRPG, your freaking god, and you have to put 0 seconds into it. Theres not cheat codes in MMO's, which is why I'm pumped for TOR, I'll have to actually think over my actions and hope to God I don't blow something up that I don't intend to.

Money, lots of money.

What else are they going to do? What is the soul purpose of a business? To make money of course, but WHY would they not want to make money? Just because a small percentage of they're target audience is unhappy with the result, why should they change it so they won't make money? Doesn't make sense really.

Never got that from an MMO, in turn, I've identified myself with a lot of SRPG characters.

Yep, pre-defined characters with specially designed dialogue, you tend to appreciate how free form WoW becomes when you see that not everyone just going lay down and die because your "The Chosen One" or "The Sith Lord."

TOR is NOT KotOR 3.

No, it isn't, I believe its Kotor 3, 4, 5 ,6 7, and I think 8?

I bought it, so it's my copy.

Thats all they wanted you to do with a single player game. They got your money, and its all over for you. They have no obligation to meet your wants or needs anymore.

So if I want apples you'll give me oranges?

Then you discover something brand new that you'd never know that you liked, (Plus you get an Orange on top of that).At first, I thought I'd hate MMO's, then, I saw WoW on for 20 bucks in Wal-Mart and said "Hey, lets give 'er a chance," haven't looked back since.

That easy to make/fix an MMO, huh?

Hey, its Bioware, I was under the impression that everyone in this forum absolutely worshiped them?

Besides, it's not my job to sell you the game, I'm just trying to point out the fact that Kotor 3 == TOR, and its going to be DAMN fun.

Compare this to this. On top of that, they hae a whole seperate client where you can test out the up and coming patch, and so the developers can get some feedback from the players. Figuring that's just the 3.0 patch notes, I'd say WoW wins in the patches and new content department.
Well, yeah, they have to. It's the world's largest MMO, with over 10 million subscribers. As you can see, Blizzard has to fix problems in games, or risk the loss of subscribers. Note how I called users subscribers.
Mass Effect got a bonus quest as DLC. World of Warcraft got another 1000 hours of gameplay for 40 dollars.
And how much of that is actually fun and entertaining?
Key thing I like about WoW is your not the center of the universe. You just another player trying to get to your specific goal amongst the 11 million other people doing the same thing, meanwhile, in a SPRPG, your freaking god, and you have to put 0 seconds into it. Theres not cheat codes in MMO's, which is why I'm pumped for TOR, I'll have to actually think over my actions and hope to God I don't blow something up that I don't intend to.
True, but that sounds more and more like reality than virtual reality, and we all know that reality ultimately sucks.

What else are they going to do? What is the soul purpose of a business? To make money of course, but WHY would they not want to make money? Just because a small percentage of they're target audience is unhappy with the result, why should they change it so they won't make money? Doesn't make sense really.
See, that's the reason why MMOs go against my philosophy. I bought a copy of the game, therefore, all of the content is now allotted to me. But, now I have to pay [insert fee here] every month to keep on playing the copy of the game that I already own. In reality, something that was already mine is now being restricted, to me, the consumer. That's one hell of a pyramid scheme.

No, it isn't, I believe its Kotor 3, 4, 5 ,6 7, and I think 8?
Just follow my method of coping with all of this sudden change: Lay flat on your chest, put hands over your ears, and recite "LALALA IT'S NOT CANON!!!". See, it works perfectly!
Hey, its Bioware, I was under the impression that everyone in this forum absolutely worshiped them?
Replace BioWare with Obsidian, and you're spot on.
Besides, it's not my job to sell you the game, I'm just trying to point out the fact that Kotor 3 == TOR, and its going to be DAMN fun.
Yet to be seen.

Do I know TOR will suck? No.

Do I think TOR will suck? Yes. :)

The first is extra content and free on the PC, the second is pretty much buying another game, seeing the price.

I'd measure that by a games total completlion time, the first time you do it. Took me around 20 to 25 hours with K1, and probabbly 30 to 35 hours with TSL. Mass Effect was done in 15 hours, and I still haven't really finished oblivion, after 200+ hours.

Which is terribly unfair. What if I measured RPGs solely by storyline and dialogs? WoW would be screwed. Besides, those games were clearly designed to be played more than once.

And just FYI, I've got +200 hours on FFXII.

Oh, they we're plenty meaningful, correction, still are in fact, see, I've seen probably a quarter of the content of WoW after 1,400 hours.
Glad to hear. 40% of it being "collect X Necromancer Staves".

Key thing I like about WoW is your not the center of the universe. You just another player trying to get to your specific goal amongst the 11 million other people doing the same thing, meanwhile, in a SPRPG, your freaking god, and you have to put 0 seconds into it.

It's not always that you're the center being of the galaxy, but that's fair. But then what?

Theres not cheat codes in MMO's, which is why I'm pumped for TOR, I'll have to actually think over my actions and hope to God I don't blow something up that I don't intend to.

I have an idea, why you just don't use any cheat codes when playing an off-line game?

Thats all they wanted you to do with a single player game. They got your money, and its all over for you. They have no obligation to meet your wants or needs anymore.

And I bought the game knowing that, not to be babysitted by said company and become dependent of it. Instead, I make my fun, mod it, play to exhaustion, whatever I wish.

Then you discover something brand new that you'd never know that you liked, (Plus you get an Orange on top of that).At first, I thought I'd hate MMO's, then, I saw WoW on for 20 bucks in Wal-Mart and said "Hey, lets give 'er a chance," haven't looked back since.

Been there, done that. I've played some time of WoW and I can say I'm never returning.

Yikes, Ctrl Alt Del has some VERY good points/truths, on Mass Effect I have around 70 hours on ONE character, KOTOR is in the 40s. Playing with friends isn't always a perk, when you friends act like goofballs and ruin everything. And I don't think TOR is KOTORIII as its under a different name, and a much,much, later time period in the days of the Old Republic.

Ooh, we have a smartass.

Since when does not acknowledging something as something mean I won't play it. As I said in the OT forum:

Just 'cos I think it will suck doesn't mean I won't play it

at least to try it out.

Well, yeah, they have to. It's the world's largest MMO, with over 10 million subscribers. As you can see, Blizzard has to fix problems in games, or risk the loss of subscribers. Note how I called users subscribers.

Not really, the Dev team behind WoW tends to focus more on Adjusting the current class rather than fixing problems.

From personal experience, Blizzard can burn a copy of CoD:W@W and release it as there new RPG and people will hail it as the greatest thing ever. LOTS of blizzard fanboys out there. I am not one, however, I am a fierce Bethesda fan.

And how much of that is actually fun and entertaining?

No real answer to that, no matter what I say, I'm wrong in that department. It's an acquired taste. Grab a friend, discuss life while killing baddies, always a good time.

True, but that sounds more and more like reality than virtual reality, and we all know that reality ultimately sucks.

Nah, this is the cool version of reality, with muskets and swords, TORs going to be great, I'll be able to run around with a Weapon and not get arrested for it.

See, that's the reason why MMOs go against my philosophy. I bought a copy of the game, therefore, all of the content is now allotted to me. But, now I have to pay [insert fee here] every month to keep on playing the copy of the game that I already own. In reality, something that was already mine is now being restricted, to me, the consumer. That's one hell of a pyramid scheme.

Ah, you obviously haven't heard of a private server, you can download WoW straight off the website and play it for free.

However, the thing is, your not paying for the game, your paying for the service, if you go the private server route you tend to get terribad service, running on a terribad server, with terribad support.

The first is extra content and free on the PC, the second is pretty much buying another game, seeing the price.

I've never played "Bring Down the Sky" mainly because I felt I've had enough of Mass Effect, but for $5 bucks on XB, not worth it in comparison to Wraith.

And, on top of that, you have DRM on PC, definatly not even worth buying it for PC too.

Which is terribly unfair. What if I measured RPGs solely by storyline and dialogs? WoW would be screwed.

No idea how you measure a game by its storyline, but if measured by dialog, WoW still wins, theres way more Dialog in any MMO than in any SPRPG...

And if your going to throw the Voiced Dialog card, Bethesda owns Kotor easily. That companies mastered it.

Besides, those games were clearly designed to be played more than once.

And MMO's aren't?

And just FYI, I've got +200 hours on FFXII.

Which explains a lot, I've given up thinking that I'm going to find a final fantasy that I enjoy. Now THERE'S the biggest money whore company, they'll sell you the same storyline 13(?) times, only different characters. Come on, Squarenix hasen't created a Unique game since FF1.

Glad to hear. 40% of it being "collect X Necromancer Staves".

It's a different style in game play, and your wrong there, 90% of it is figuring out how to kill that boss that feels unkillable. The games supposed to be played with friends, not alone.

Plus, the whole reason I want TOR is because I KNOW that I'm going to enjoy leveling because Biowares putting the effort into making a game with an amazing set of storyline's.

It's not always that you're the center being of the galaxy, but that's fair. But then what?

Thats the joy of it, then what? Figure it out yourself. I love it. Your in control what you do, not a set of area triggers that require you to walk into them.

Theres a big difference in being the "Best" in a MMO, and being the "Best" in a single player game. It's like the first time I finished fallout 3, and went to look at everyone else's character, and realizing they all look identical. Which is a major let down. But wait, its a single player game, other Real people don't matter...

I have an idea, why you just don't use any cheat codes when playing an off-line game?

I admit, I played Kotor and TSL with cheats (Mainly, gave myself a **** load of medpacks) I honestly cared very little for the combat. Not being a huge fan of that style turn based, I played the game for the Dialog.

And I bought the game knowing that, not to be babysitted by said company and become dependent of it. Instead, I make my fun, mod it, play to exhaustion, whatever I wish.

And thats the thing, TORs going to be the same thing (Minus the mods of course) for me. I've been waiting for a Star Wars MMO that I'll enjoy, specifically, a multiplayer version of a Bethesda game.

Been there, done that. I've played some time of WoW and I can say I'm never returning.

Heh, its all about playing with friends, playing WoW without knowing anyone is like playing a multiplayer game alone, good luck with that.

Playing with friends isn't always a perk, when you friends act like goofballs and ruin everything.

I've been that friend, quite easy way around that, Ignore them.

However, I'd much rather play a game with a friend than alone. It's always more fun when you have someone to compare yourself to.

Ooh, we have a smartass.

Since when does not acknowledging something as something mean I won't play it. As I said in the OT forum:

Just 'cos I think it will suck doesn't mean I won't play it

at least to try it out.

Didn't mean to offend, just trying to say that there most likely not making a Kotor 3, for a damn good reason, any ending Bioware used probably wouldn't be adequate for a lot of the people here.

Your Pretty good in my books, At least your going to try it, a lot of people just seem to want to QQ about MMO's, completely forgetting that the game isn't even done yet...

Hell, I could end up hating it, and everyone else will absolutely love it. Which would be funny as hell xD

Didn't mean to offend, just trying to say that there most likely not making a Kotor 3, for a damn good reason, any ending Bioware used probably wouldn't be adequate for a lot of the people here.

I'll never stop believing :D

No harm done

Your Pretty good in my books, At least your going to try it, a lot of people just seem to want to QQ about MMO's, completely forgetting that the game isn't even done yet...

Yeah, although I'm fairly certain it's gonna suck anyways, I'm willing to give it a shot though

Hell, I could end up hating it, and everyone else will absolutely love it. Which would be funny as hell xD

I'm probably gonna end up hating it too, MMO's are not my thing

I've never played "Bring Down the Sky" mainly because I felt I've had enough of Mass Effect, but for $5 bucks on XB, not worth it in comparison to Wraith.

Indeed, considering you'll be paying for WotLK for months/years straight while the downloadable content is a one-time buy.

No idea how you measure a game by its storyline, but if measured by dialog, WoW still wins, theres way more Dialog in any MMO than in any SPRPG...

It's not the lenght, but the quality. The story each character has behind each line and his/her personality. When talking with NPCs on a MMORPG, we usually hear a variation the following pattern:

"Hello! Could you please [insert action] those [insert target] who have been [insert action] the [insert group who suffers said action]? I'll reward you with [insert amount][insert reward]! Goodbye!"

And I'm really interested into the atmosphere an MMO simply doesn't offer you. Talking to your buddies while killing Undead Ghouls might be cool and all, but where's the atmosphere on this? You're talking about the dinner you'll have tonight while on a single-player the most likely dialog would be terrified thoughts on how to escape that situation with your heads between your shoulders.

And if your going to throw the Voiced Dialog card, Bethesda owns Kotor easily. That companies mastered it.

Even if that was the case, which isn't, as previously explained, that would prove nothing, as Bethesda notable games are all but off-line, just as KotOR.

As a side note, I dislike the dialogs on Oblivion intensely. Six VAs or so for a such densely populated province? Tch.

And MMO's aren't?

Not on the same way. I'm talking about all the choices you make on those examples of SRPGs. Granted, there are also choices to be made on MMOs ("which guild should I join?" or "which of those pets should I get?") but considering the time and the hours spent levelling up, it gets pretty much unlikely that you manage to get all your characters to the maximum levels.

Which explains a lot, I've given up thinking that I'm going to find a final fantasy that I enjoy. Now THERE'S the biggest money whore company, they'll sell you the same storyline 13(?) times, only different characters.
I completely disagree. This is your opinion, I guess. Proofs?

Come on, Squarenix hasen't created a Unique game since FF1.
Then you probably haven't heard of:

Kingdom Hearts

Radiata Stories

The World ends with you

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

(just to end with FF)Final Fantasy: Dissidia

And that's to name a few.

It's a different style in game play, and your wrong there, 90% of it is figuring out how to kill that boss that feels unkillable. The games supposed to be played with friends, not alone.

It may be fun to do this, but I can have just the same fun figuring out how to dispose my party members to kill a particularly strong enemy. Not with KotOR, mind you, which is too easy for that, but with other SRPGs, you name it.

Plus, the whole reason I want TOR is because I KNOW that I'm going to enjoy leveling because Biowares putting the effort into making a game with an amazing set of storyline's.

That remains to be seem. I'm terribly skeptical on how they play on doing that.

Thats the joy of it, then what? Figure it out yourself. I love it. Your in control what you do, not a set of area triggers that require you to walk into them.

A game's still a game, no matter if it's off or on-line. You'll still have to obey what the dev programmed.

Theres a big difference in being the "Best" in a MMO, and being the "Best" in a single player game.

I agree. Being the best on WoW must be insanely hard, since there are so many people with starting equal chances of becoming the best on that world. It's a feat indeed. Still, one I'm not interested in.

It's like the first time I finished fallout 3, and went to look at everyone else's character, and realizing they all look identical. Which is a major let down. But wait, its a single player game, other Real people don't matter...

But should they matter? It's about you. You beat the game, feel good about yourself, it was meant to be a narcissitic experience. :)

And thats the thing, TORs going to be the same thing (Minus the mods of course) for me. I've been waiting for a Star Wars MMO that I'll enjoy, specifically, a multiplayer version of a Bethesda game.

You'll still be babysitted by a company you'll pay dearly.

Heh, its all about playing with friends, playing WoW without knowing anyone is like playing a multiplayer game alone, good luck with that.

That's the ultimate truth.

Yep, pre-defined characters with specially designed dialogue, you tend to appreciate how free form WoW becomes when you see that not everyone just going lay down and die because your "The Chosen One" or "The Sith Lord."

1st. In KOTOR 1 and 2 you were not a "freaking god" in 0 seconds. Total bull****. You have obviously never played those games, or you are a overzealous MMO worshiper who thinks SRPG=crap.

2nd. Oh yeah , I'll take characters with some form of actual meaningful dialogue that changes the story according to what you say, and how your companions will react to what you say any day instead of:

"OMG GUYZ! I JUST GOT THIS AWESOME LEWT!!!!! +23 STRENGHT...>W00T!"

And how is us being apparent "worshipers" of Bioware connected to them being able to fix an MMO in a short while?

I bet this isn't th only place where this MMO might be causing arguments. Another reason against the MMO. It can divide a community.

Ever been to Kavar's Corner? :p

Anyway, I think TOR's gonna be good. I was never really panting for a K3, even though I certainly wouldn't have minded one--in general, MMORPGs have far more replayability than SPRPGs. KOTOR got really...old after playing it five times. ;)

in general, MMORPGs have far more replayability than SPRPGs. KOTOR got really...old after playing it five times. ;)

Well, that KotOR and TSL got old after several (and I mean several :p) playthroughs is certainly true, but I have heard very little mention of anyone having finished an MMO more than once, if even once. Though, if this one has a discernable start, middle and end - coupled with an engaging story, it may even be possible...

At least it seems more likely with this format that we will be able to carry on using our character after the 'end' of the story.

Archived