Home

Its just an mmo now?

SD Nihil

What I am saying by brining up Starcraft Ghost and Starcraft 2 is that there was a lot of work done on Ghost and its was to be a first person shooter, whereas Starcraft 2 was an RTS. Its just to show you how even in the stages they were in with Ghost and how far they were into production of it they still changed course and did Starcraft 2 instead which was a RTS and not a shooter. That's why I'm saying with TOR being an MMO there is still a chance it can become KOTOR 3 and a rpg instead. Ghost was much further within the production process than TOR is before they changed what they were doing.

So since there is this past example, its not like games can't change direction and be something different down the road. There's stil hope. And again you thinking its not a good idea is your opinion. Mine is it would be. So never say never. If a shooter with some time into production can become a RTS, then a MMO can most certinally have the possibility of becoming a rpg.

But that depends of course. Are there enough rpg KOTOR fans than TOR MMO fans. And of course the other factor is re energizing Lucasart's MMO fan base with a new MMO. Again we'll see.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Fiestainabox is saying is that Ghost didn't become SC2, they completely scrapped Ghost and started making an entirely different game in the same setting, which is 100% accurate. Likewise, Bioware won't wake up one day and cast Greater Switch Genre on TOR to turn it into K3.

What I mean is they changed their plan for a starcraft game and later did a different Starcraft game. Same for this can happen. You can go from one idea of doing a KOTOR type game into a different idea for a KOTOR game. I'm saying there is still time for the plan to change and it can change. And then I said the factors involved in what might motivate them to change their plan for a KOTOR game. I',m saying anything can still happen at this point and that nothing is final.

What I mean is they changed their plan for a starcraft game and later did a different Starcraft game. Same for this can happen. You can go from one idea of doing a KOTOR type game into a different idea for a KOTOR game. I'm saying there is still time for the plan to change and it can change. And then I said the factors involved in what might motivate them to change their plan for a KOTOR game. I',m saying anything can still happen at this point and that nothing is final.

So, basically you want this game and everything associated with it to be scrapped?

I tend to disagree. If you put 4-5 years and that kind of money behind something, I think it would be foolish to try to go backwards and start fresh. We're talking a whole different ball game here. They opened up Bioware Austin SPECIFICALLY for the MMO. EA bought Bioware SPECIFICALLY for the MMO. Bioware has secured the rights to produce the Star Wars MMO. There is a better chance of getting Achilles to praise Jesus than Bioware giving up and calling all that time and money a waste.

Actually you had best hope this goes well. If it goes very well, then there is even more likelihood of KotOR 3 being made. As EA likes money. If they see the potential for K3 in the consoles market then they'll go for it. If this fails, then EA would be afraid to touch it(and by extension Bioware).

I never mean all of it should be scrapped. All of us here want a KOTOR game in one form or another. We just disagree on the genere. Should it be a rpg or mmo. And we are discussing the current info and our reasonings. So yeah I disagree with you TC. You say my idea of how they would change and do a KOTOR 3 rather than a mmo seems to me more plausable than them making an mmo and then a kotor 3. Which meakes sense.

The fact that oops they the fans more of them want a rpg and judging on the numbers we'll get more profit with them, whereas you think that once they do an mmo that then they'll do a kotor 3 because it was so successful. I jsut don't see that happening. If you can pile multiple episodes into one mmo like they've said why go back and do a rpg. The Starcraft Ghost idea being scrapped and then later Blizzard decided instead to do Starcraft 2 is an example of a change in a game changing its genere in production. That's why my senerio of saying there is hope that it can become a rpg by the past and history seems more likely than your senerio.

Can you honestly give an example of a group that made a mmo and later went back and made a rpg out of that same kind of game with the same theme, but different genere. If you can come up with an example that backs up your senerio like I can with my example. But if something like that never happened then it'd be truly a first.

I never mean all of it should be scrapped. All of us here want a KOTOR game in one form or another. We just disagree on the genere. Should it be a rpg or mmo. And we are discussing the current info and our reasonings. So yeah I disagree with you TC. You say my idea of how they would change and do a KOTOR 3 rather than a mmo seems to me more plausable than them making an mmo and then a kotor 3. Which meakes sense.

It doesn't. As TC said, they have a contract with LA to make a Star Wars MMO, not a K3. They also have the rights to maintain and continue development on the game. What they don't have is the rights to say "**** it, we're making an RPG so suck it up, LA".

The fact that oops they the fans more of them want a rpg and judging on the numbers we'll get more profit with them, whereas you think that once they do an mmo that then they'll do a kotor 3 because it was so successful. I jsut don't see that happening. If you can pile multiple episodes into one mmo like they've said why go back and do a rpg. The Starcraft Ghost idea being scrapped and then later Blizzard decided instead to do Starcraft 2 is an example of a change in a game changing its genere in production. That's why my senerio of saying there is hope that it can become a rpg by the past and history seems more likely than your senerio.

1) Can we get some reliable numbers in here?

2) Seriously, you need to word things better. "changing its genere in production" is not what happened, and we already went over that.

2) That's a bad example. In Ghost's case, it was Blizzard, a company well known for producing high-quality games and taking however long they want, canceling a game in one of their IP's. In Bioware's case, they are working for (not with, for) LA, a company known for pumping out games when they plain aren't ready (even rushing them) or copying other popular games and throwing on the Star Wars label. Bioware is bound by the contracts both to LA and EA, Blizzard was working for themselves. Also, Blizzard has proven themselves to be able to stop production of games (Warcraft Adventures, anyone?). None of the 3 companies controlling TOR have done so.

Can you honestly give an example of a group that made a mmo and later went back and made a rpg out of that same kind of game with the same theme, but different genere. If you can come up with an example that backs up your senerio like I can with my example. But if something like that never happened then it'd be truly a first.

While not a company making a game, then an MMO, and then another genre in the same setting, SOE made an Everquest RTS.

Well as for the they'll possibily make a K3 after the MMO if its successful depends. Yes they'd might do that I guess. But that would be if there were enough people to where they would make more of a profit than a loss. Meaning if there are very few who are wanting a KOTOR RPG then it might not even be worth it in there eyes because the cost of production would outweigh the money they'd make back. So would you say the amount of people who would buy a KOTOR RPG are a large enough group to where it would be profitable to them or not?

So you don't think other factors can result in a future modifying of a set contract?
Those other factors are EA and LA both deciding to stick with their currently dying MMO's. And wanting to have wasted investing in the HeroEngine license. And the 2 years (probably more, this is from between from the announcement to now) they've spent on TOR so far. And the inevitable BAAAAAWWWWWW and people calling the WAAAAAAAHHmbulance.

Well as for the they'll possibily make a K3 after the MMO if its successful depends. Yes they'd might do that I guess. But that would be if there were enough people to where they would make more of a profit than a loss. Meaning if there are very few who are wanting a KOTOR RPG then it might not even be worth it in there eyes because the cost of production would outweigh the money they'd make back. So would you say the amount of people who would buy a KOTOR RPG are a large enough group to where it would be profitable to them or not?

Yes, but the Star Wars label is an instant way to make a profit, meaning it's about bigger profit and higher quality to develop the brand even more. An MMO is a steady income (unlike most single player games) and a great way to get the word out.

SD, we're talking about a sizable investment here. EA would be furious with Bioware if the whole reason they bought them(being the MMO) was suddenly scrapped. EA would then liquidate all of the Bioware assets to recoup the losses. That would mean they would destroy Bioware alltogether. We would NEVER get KotOR 3. Lucasarts would be furious with Bioware and EA for failing to deliver on the game they were developing.

LA wants a SUCCESSFUL MMO. SWG never fully realized that expectation. Chances are LA would hand over development to SOE to finish the job. SOE would be very happy. Hopeful fans... not so much.

However if the game is successful, EA may decide to tap the console market. They like money. If this game is successful enough they will see it as a way to print even more money. A successful game is reason to believe more people will want to play in that era. EA makes a console game for the non-mmo fans.

I s⮈ee. Well yeah it would be great if they make a console version for TOR. That way the fee thing is already being paid for by Xbox Live's fee. As for the Star Wars name. It still has to be a good game though. Just slaping the Star Wars name on it doesn't make it a great title. Examples of of games who simply went on the Star Wars name rather than the Star Wars experience were Star Wars Chess, Star Wars Yoda's Stories, Star Wars Rebellion, Star Wars Battlgrounds, and those Star Wars Street Fighter games. So yeah I think it still has to be good since Star Wars has had a pretty spotty history when it comes to games. And I think fans have learned not to judge the book by its cover or that its Star Wars so it must be good.

Well I hope they do a KOTOR 3 and a console TOR version. That'd be great.f

From past experiences, you would need to pay the monthly fee for the MMO if it was on Xbox. Final Fantasy online worked on silver, if I remember correctly.

Although I personally wouldn't buy it for a console. You would most likely have to use a keyboard, quickly defeating the purpose.

But I guarantee, buying it for Xbox is NOT a way to get out of the monthly fee, MMO's cost significant amounts of money to maintain and keep running, cut out the monthly fee, and all the company is doing is losing money.

Even if you have Xbox Gold you still have to pay a monthy fee for the MMO ontop of the yearly fee for Live? Wow. But then again I've never played a MMO on well anything besides the fact I do have the WoW demo I got with the Starcraft Battlechest. I don't know. Its just you hear of these people who play MMOs for 16hrs a day and lose their jobs because they get obsessed with them, or they do badly in school because of it. You lose track of time. I know you can do that just with a rpg. I can lose track too. But that's the thing with an rpg. I feel like I'm working toward an ultimate goal. Whereas MMOs its all quests and no real ending. Your just another person among thousands where no one is more powerful than you. Others are more powerful and others are weaker. I don't think you can get killed in an MMO than you can in a rpg or other multiplayer games. Doesn't sound like your really got much to lose. All I know about MMOs is you are like rpgs constantly leveling up.

But you mine or do that for hours. Sounds like a snooze as you sit there and mine. Do a side quest and wonder around visiting stuff. And you purchase stuff. Have I got the gist of an MMO?

I think your just being a troll now.

You seem to have this "I already hate this game and it already sucks" attitude going on.

Since, judging by how you didn't mention anything that was truly exciting about WoW, you've probably played it for 10, 15 minutes max, alone, as a Night Elf Warrior.

You don't have to play WoW either, there is plenty other MMO's out there, i.e Eve online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Lord of The Rings Online, Final Fantasy Online (Which is the only one that runs on xbox at the moment).

WoW is just the most polished and popular, for a very good reason.

Or you could just keep complaining, that works too.

Man, you sure like to 'school' people, don't ya?

That's true anyone with **** for a job can afford it or time on xbox360 provided they get over the "hurdles" first.

With my drinkin' days long behind me, I just simply prefer to save my $$$ for big things. You know, property, duplexes, equipment...making solid investments (instead of throwing cash into the atrocity pool called wall street), and socking $$$ away, going for long term. Why is it a crime to save for retirement in your twenties? :xp:

So it is simply financial savvy on my part. As far as gaming...mehm --it's cyclical. I'm on my downward slump. I'll probably make a few mods or something, and when I get bored I'll just move onto something else until I catch the gaming bug again. I got plenty of other stuff I can do for fun.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly: I do not wish to school people. I simply presumed the persons I responded too (SD Nihil and Lord2) were about the same as me in terms of financial situation.

The fact you save doesn't make me an 'scholing' person at all. It says more about your situation than mine. The fact you like to save money is good and wise. But if you are going to play an MMO you'll have to spend money. That's fact. So please don't 'bash' me because of your own choices.

Bioware is going to make a great MMO, and if they don't, It will be all patched up within a week.

Not really, the only patch "Needed" for TSL was the vista patch, and that was more MS's part than Bioware/Obsideon/Lucasarts.

There's a difference between "Patches" and "mods." TSL is 100% playable right off the disk. Just because a mod has the word "Fix" in it dosen't mean Obsidion blows at making games, and can't do anything right.

Wrong. Just of the top of my head here is a list of bugs that were never fixed in TSL.

Telos Academy Imprisonment Cutscene Fix

Dxun Equation Puzzle Fix

Fuel For Telos Quest Fix

Handmaiden Training Cutscene Fix

Hidden Compartment Fix

Mira Spacesuit Fix

Skippable Mebla Dialogue Fix

Starport Visa Trade Fix

Tienn Tubb's Store Fix

Visas Teaches Force Sight Fix

Nihilus-Visas In-Game Cutscene Tweak

Jedi Master Rendevous Fix

Escaped Criminals Quest Fix

Cyan Lightsaber Crystal Fix

Korriban Secret Tomb Fix

Force Crush Fixed

Atton Facing Fix

Influence Bug Fix

Dancer's Outfit Appearance Fix

Jedi Side quest on Dantooine

While none of these bugs are game stopping. They sure are annoying.

This doesn’t even include the fixes that Ulic made in his’ Prolog, Peragus, and Harbinger Issue Correction Mod or the fixes that Team Gizka has made for the TSL:RP.

Remember that LucasArts gave Bioware three chances to fix KotOR. Lucas Arts gave Obsidian Entertainment just one shot to fix TSL. Don’t even get me stated on EA and its’ supposed patching of the Battlefield series. Hell, Bioware put out 9 patches over ~ 5 years for NWN 1 and they still didn’t completely fix the game. This is why a fan patch is being made.

The fact that you think Bioware can patch an MMO in one week is laughable.

Besides, if TOR becomes a major sucess, expect a Kotor 3, with the funds Blizzard is making from WoW, they're making Starcraft 3, Diablo 3, and Rumor has it, another MMO. That's good enough for me.

Either you have no Business Savvy or you’re delusional. You will notice that Blizzard is not making a Warcraft game. Which is the equivalent of LucasArts making a SP KotOR 3 while having a successful TOR game. Both Diablo & Starcraft have nothing to do with the Warcraft universe. So neither game impacts significantly on the WoW bottom line.

Comparing Galaxies to TOR is like saying KotOR is a single player version of Galaxies.

Actually comparing Galaxies to TOR is very applicable. Both are/were MMO’s. Both are set in the same universe even if they are at different times. Plus there are quite a few ex-SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) employees working on TOR.

And TOR is part of the Old Republic era, except TOR is going to have more content than both KotOR's put together.

You’re assuming and you know what they say about assuming. There have been plenty of games that have never lived up to their hype. One game that I am worried about is Dragon Age: Origins.

I don't know where people are getting this "TOR won't have any patches" thing, Bioware's making the game, not LucasArts. People are also assuming that in every single player game, patches = new content. You’re not going to get a company giving out free content all the time for a single player game. TOR's going to be the opposite. There is going to be a library of patches with bugfixes, class changes, and new content.

Again don’t be so sure. I suggest you go take a course in Game Development & Producing 101. It is the producers (LucasArts & EA) with the money not the developers (Bioware & Obsidian) that decide if a patch will get done. Both LucasArts & EA are well known for being miserly with bug patches. Yet Atari allowed Bioware to bug patch NwN ~ 5 years and is supporting Obsidian’s bug patching of NwN2.

Bioware's promising us a good storyline, they wrote the first KotOR, which had a great storyline, is everything suddenlly thinking they've lost all skill at writing good storylines or something?

Bioware has never been known for great story telling. Good yes, great no. The only two things that are well written in KotOR are the Female Revan romance plot and the redeeming of Yuthura Ban. The game that I consider to Bioware’s masterpiece is Bladur’s Gate 2. Yet the best chapter in the game was done with Black Isle’s (would become Obsidian) help.

At the sacrifice of quality, yes. People who aren’t for the MMO seem to be conflicting themselves. Look at fallout 3, there are 2 DLC packs out now, both of them are crazy good. There's well over 500 mods out for Fallout 3, and none of them get close to the quality of the DLC's.

You are comparing appkes & oranges. Most of the Fallout 3 mods do not add storyline content to the game. Yet the few that are out there are no where in the scope of DLC by Bethesda. Fallout 3 is to new of a game to have a major story mod produced by amateurs in their spare time. Yet I will put up Wizards’ Islands: Scourge of the Frost Bringer (Morrowind) and The Lost Spires (Oblivion) against the DLC for Oblivion or Fallout 3. It took ~ 4 years before the first two major story mods came out for KotOR.

Wrong. Just of the top of my head here is a list of bugs that were never fixed in TSL.

Telos Academy Imprisonment Cutscene Fix

Dxun Equation Puzzle Fix

Fuel For Telos Quest Fix

Handmaiden Training Cutscene Fix

Hidden Compartment Fix

Mira Spacesuit Fix

Skippable Mebla Dialogue Fix

Starport Visa Trade Fix

Tienn Tubb's Store Fix

Visas Teaches Force Sight Fix

Nihilus-Visas In-Game Cutscene Tweak

Jedi Master Rendevous Fix

Escaped Criminals Quest Fix

Cyan Lightsaber Crystal Fix

Korriban Secret Tomb Fix

Force Crush Fixed

Atton Facing Fix

Influence Bug Fix

Dancer's Outfit Appearance Fix

Jedi Side quest on Dantooine

While none of these bugs are game stopping. They sure are annoying.

This doesn’t even include the fixes that Ulic made in his’ Prolog, Peragus, and Harbinger Issue Correction Mod or the fixes that Team Gizka has made for the TSL:RP.

Every one of those bugs you listed is for TSL, Bioware didn't make TSL.

Man, people really need to think about what were talking about here. It's an MMO, there HAS to be patches.

Team Gizka has made for the TSL:RP.

When will we see that? 2011? A lot of the people who were intent on playing that patch, have long since disappeared or moved on.

The fact that you think Bioware can patch an MMO in one week is laughable.

Nobody can, thats why MMO's completly blow in their first week, I remember the WoW 3.0 launch, that was a pretty bad time period xD, but man, it seriously made you want to play just that much more.

Either you have no Business Savvy or you’re delusional. You will notice that Blizzard is not making a Warcraft game. Which is the equivalent of LucasArts making a SP KotOR 3 while having a successful TOR game. Both Diablo & Starcraft have nothing to do with the Warcraft universe. So neither game impacts significantly on the WoW bottom line.

So, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 2 don't count? The reason why there not making a new Warcraft game is because they've killed everyone who's in them.

TOR takes place 300 years after TSL, that means that theres still plenty of things they could put into a potential K3.

Again don’t be so sure. I suggest you go take a course in Game Development & Producing 101. It is the producers (LucasArts & EA) with the money not the developers (Bioware & Obsidian) that decide if a patch will get done. Both LucasArts & EA are well known for being miserly with bug patches. Yet Atari allowed Bioware to bug patch NwN ~ 5 years and is supporting Obsidian’s bug patching of NwN2.

This are all single player games, all of those rules mean nothing when compared to an MMO.

You pay monthly for this. The development team fixes the bugs, and keeps the servers running smoothly, sure they eff up every now and then, but that's natural.

Bioware has never been known for great story telling. Good yes, great no. The only two things that are well written in KotOR are the Female Revan romance plot and the redeeming of Yuthura Ban. The game that I consider to Bioware’s masterpiece is Bladur’s Gate 2. Yet the best chapter in the game was done with Black Isle’s (would become Obsidian) help.

Alas, that is totally subjective. However, I partially agree, their work on Mass Effect was mediocre at best.

You are comparing appkes & oranges. Most of the Fallout 3 mods do not add storyline content to the game. Yet the few that are out there are no where in the scope of DLC by Bethesda. Fallout 3 is to new of a game to have a major story mod produced by amateurs in their spare time. Yet I will put up Wizards’ Islands: Scourge of the Frost Bringer (Morrowind) and The Lost Spires (Oblivion) against the DLC for Oblivion or Fallout 3. It took ~ 4 years before the first two major story mods came out for KotOR.

Most of the Oblivion and Fallout mods are variations on some nude mod, or some revealing Armour for females, that's located in the craderside supply/balmora/Imperial City.

Oblivion however, does indeed have a few good storyline mods. The Lost Spires is great, and I remeber a lot of good Morrowind mods. But the thing is, none of the can hold a candle to "The Pitt/Bloodmoon/Tribunal/Shivvering Isles." Most modders are content with reskinning the Daedric armour for the sixth time.

I would love to be proven wrong.

It's still amazing how people get so bent out of shape over games and if you say this peole immediatly want to do 1 on 1's, get into the game drama, and call each other out acting like that fake pro wrestling, and get into fights. This is why I don't get involved in video game drama. Don't get me wrong, I have destroyed at least a dozen noob clans and made many drop with screenshots a trophies. But I tend to not take games too seriously. Words just run off my back because they can't effect me.

Now then. Fiestainabox I'm not saying TOR is going to suck attatude. We are just conversing on the current info and I have my opinions and you do too. And the things I mentioned in an MMO are what I know about them and I was asking you guys if I was correct about what they are about by giving what I know. All you had to do is fill in the blanks and say a췸ctually its got this and that, etc. And I would've said okay I was wrong. You see nothing really bothers me when someone says something wrong about a game. It's a game and not real life, and it doesn't matter.

Much of what I said Artoeldar said better. Yes that's right guys I really have not played MMOs all that much. Gasp. That's why I was asking you who play them about them more. I just have not gotten into MMOs much due to the extra cost outweighing the time I'd get to play them to make the money worth it, I don't want to turn into one of those pasty faced individuals in a basement p龘laying 16 hours a day to level up some whatever nom/dragon level 2403, and later discover I've neglected the real world and my family.

And I have to admit, with rpgs I do get wrapped up in them and lose track of time. And I hear these horror stories of people losing their jobs because they can't get off the MMO. And I just don't want to have that happen. I am responsible and all. It's just if it's so addictive as they say I worry about getting adicted. I've heard news reports of people who says it's just as addictive as starting drugs. And I just want to be careful.

But like I said I'm cool with being wrong. Educate me that's fine with me. It doesn't bother me. It's all cool.

First off we have to considder that Bioware is taking a slightly different approach to the MMO genre(at least so say them). But for the most part the best fun in MMO's is the group activities. Not like the 20 man raids or whatever. Like for instance in Galaxies: They just added Hoth. Not as an expansion, just added it to the base game. Even with a good group it is challenging. It takes a lot of knowledge of your character's abilities to beat it.

Some of the fun is being the first to complete something difficult. Server first, and game first. Then there's all the exploration. Random sidequests. and tons of other random stuff to do. I know in Galaxies, lots of people just enjoyed decoration. Some like myself were great pilots. People got real good at different things. Then there's PVP.

Most of these things are post max level. So as long as they make the leveling fun(which it seems they are doing) then when we hit max level and start doing the "End Game" content, that's where the sticking addiction comes in.

So there is a max level for a character just like in rpgs. So at that point I take it that it's just a matter of skill if everyone has the highest level. And the only difference is your character's abilities verses another's. And of course what character's ability counters another in the sense of rock paper sizers a瑘nalogy. But can you die. You seee in rpgs you could save your game. In MMOs you cannot. What happens when you die?

And whenever there is new info for the MMO someone please post it here so we can continue to converse about it please.

In MMOs you cannot. What happens when you die?

It depends on the game. Older MMO's were generally more 'hardcore' and included perma-death, others made you lose everything you had on your person and sent you to a certain point.

Newer MMO's are usually less cruel but my only experience would be WoW, where your character is sent to a graveyard as a ghost and you have to run back to your corpse and your items take damage (after a certain amount of damage your armour becomes useless until you repair it at some NPC's for a small fee), or alternatively you can resurrect at the graveyard and take more item damage and get a painful debuff.

So there is a max level for a character just like in rpgs. So at that point I take it that it's just a matter of skill if everyone has the highest level. And the only difference is your character's abilities verses another's. And of course what character's ability counters another in the sense of rock paper sizers a瑘nalogy. But can you die. You seee in rpgs you could save your game. In MMOs you cannot. What happens when you die?

And whenever there is new info for the MMO someone please post it here so we can continue to converse about it please.

Seriously, where have you been? MMO's have been rolling out for far over a decade, and you know NOTHING about them? Go to EVE, SWG, or WoW and read up.

Well like I said I never played MMOs because with the monthly fee probably costing more than I'd have time to play them I never started. And you know what I've heard about them up until now. I like games with no commitment so you can have less of an obligation and play it on your own time rather than having to play enough to make the cost worth it.

It's like a cable bill. Depending on how many channels you have you'll want to watch enough tomake it worth it. Otherwise you just get basic. Again any new news about the MMO? Like I said I like games with no commitment, but if its cost is low per month and I have time to play it to make that cost worth it the I will. get it.

So yeah any new MMO news on the TOR?

Archived