XWA one year thread IV: The Clown Wars

K_Kinnison

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aaaaah

wow

thats alot of CD's.....

Yeah, I have a pretty nice collection. I wonder how much it's worth? Many thousands of dollars, surely. You can actually buy huge sets of the complete Beethoven, complete Mozart, etc., but I like to search for the individual sets I like best. Unfortunately, Amazon offers a lot less audio sample now than they used to. I wonder why?

I have thought about ripping them all. I have a small subset on my hard drive at work as mp3s, but to really do the job right, I'd want to use a non-lossy format.

Does anyone know the most supported non-lossy audio format? Supported in terms of software players across various OSs, and support on portable music players? This could be good for backup purposes, but I'd want to use a very standard format so my data does not become obsolete. I could just use wav files, but the size would be...ridiculous.

We are just that awesome.

:dozey:

No... on 2nd thought, that's probably not it.

It probably has to do with the innate part of human nature that makes reality shows so popular.

We are all living on a text-based reality show. Hmmm...

hahaha this thread needs more pictures. definitely more pictures...i'll go take some.

Yeah, I have a pretty nice collection. I wonder how much it's worth? Many thousands of dollars, surely. You can actually buy huge sets of the complete Beethoven, complete Mozart, etc., but I like to search for the individual sets I like best. Unfortunately, Amazon offers a lot less audio sample now than they used to. I wonder why?

I have thought about ripping them all. I have a small subset on my hard drive at work as mp3s, but to really do the job right, I'd want to use a non-lossy format.

Does anyone know the most supported non-lossy audio format? Supported in terms of software players across various OSs, and support on portable music players? This could be good for backup purposes, but I'd want to use a very standard format so my data does not become obsolete. I could just use wav files, but the size would be...ridiculous.

FLAC or ALAC. Both of those will give you horrible compression compared to MP3 or another lossy format, and you won't notice any difference between them and good quality MP3 encoding.

yeah FLAC is pretty good sounding even to my ignorant ears

I try not to use compressed formats whenever possible, so I'm actually a bit ignorant on this audio issue.

I currently use high-grade MP3 for my iTunes files at work... and they sound OK through the computer speakers... but sometimes a bit rough through the big PA speakers.

OK for warm-up music being played at low level when the crowd is coming in or going out... but I wouldn't use it for critical listening purposes... I'll still go to the CD for that.

nuteThat is because they either gained the income later in life, or found a partner that isn't all interested in hubbies money. when you are dealing with celebrities it is completly different

I think all the blood has rushed to R15s groin. Obviously not enough is going to his brain anymore. I have dated a succubus before, let's just say it is never pretty and they will say anything to get you into bed with them.

Never date a succubus

I try not to use compressed formats whenever possible, so I'm actually a bit ignorant on this audio issue.

I currently use high-grade MP3 for my iTunes files at work... and they sound OK through the computer speakers... but sometimes a bit rough through the big PA speakers.

OK for warm-up music being played at low level when the crowd is coming in or going out... but I wouldn't use it for critical listening purposes... I'll still go to the CD for that.

Hmm, I'm not really an audiophile, but I've never been able to tell the difference between MP3s encoded at 192kbps+/44.1 khz and CDs.

You could always try AAC. It's lossy, but it's also a lot newer than MP3 and offers better quality at lower bitrates. The only way I could see the format you encode your audio getting in the way of you listening to it has some sort of DRM though. Fairplay, for example, is getting more and more complex, to the point where Apple has just started adding in useless calculations in the code for it just to **** with people who try to crack it.

I'm a live sound and recording engineer... it's my gig to tell incredibly subtle differences between audio sources.

I can't hear the difference between those 2 on small computer speakers... but I almost always can on big, incredibly expensive ones, and especially on a very good set of headphones... though usually only if I'm actually actively searching for them or A/B-ing them.

Most people won't hear the artifacts I do though... so playing MP3s as warm up music is usually fine.

Man, was I tired all day yesterday. Anytime I stopped moving for a second or 2, I dozed off. Actually started to nod off in a meeting I was attending. Couldn't help it.

Had a nightmare getting home from work last night:

The show ran way late, and all I really wanted to do was get home and get to sleep... but one train broke down, so I missed my connecting one and had to wait 20 minutes for the next one, I didn't have enough cash to pay for parking (cash-only place...) when I finally got to the station garage, but the ATM there was out of money, so I had to walk a couple of blocks in the brutal cold at quarter of 1 to find another.

Finally got into bed about 1:30. Hooray.

Worked from 11am until midnight... for no extra money. Straight salary.

Blah.

There oughta be a law...

Show went well. The band's guys were cool and good, so at least it was an easy day.

Any disorganization happened at the college's end. Whoever was in charge of this concert from our end was clueless... and we were left putting out fires and picking up the pieces all day.

It will be a very short day today.

Archived